Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Did you know they still make games for the Atari 2600? I didn't.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 09:43 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

http://www.atariage.com/index.html

We've just added two brand new Atari 2600 homebrew games to our store, A-VCS-tec Challenge and Lady Bug! A-VCS-tec Challenge is a rendition of the classic Commodore 64 game Aztec Challenge, brought to life on the 2600 by Simon Quernhorst. Lady Bug is a masterful port of the classic arcade game, programmed by John W. Champeau. Both games include original label artwork and full-color manuals.

* A-VCS-tec Challenge
* Lady Bug

To learn more about these new 2600 homebrew games, please follow the links above.
A-VCS-tec Challenge looks great.

1475. Tenochtitlán is ruled by the Aztec sovereign Axayacatl, son of Motecuhzoma. Even as he was being defeated by the Tarascans, Axayacatl was expanding his realm by conquering the Mixtecs and Zapotecs.

You, being a warrior of the Zapotecs, managed to escape the battlefield together with two of your brothers, but unfortunately your party was trapped afterwards. Axayacatl offers you the only chance to survive by reaching the coast and leaving the country by boat. He challenges you with spear throwing warriors along your path and stone rolling priests on the pyramids. Reaching the pyramids safe inside allows your team to relax for a short time and prepare for the next trail.

I find this just too funny.
Old 09-12-06, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Activision Anthology for the Game Boy Advance has homebrew games on it, as does the Atari Flashback II. 2600 games are mostly being created for emulation, but it's cool that people are doing it.
Old 09-12-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Damn, if I had known that I would not have wasted my money on an XBOX 360 last weekend.
Old 09-12-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Damn, if I had known that I would not have wasted my money on an XBOX 360 last weekend.
That's what you get for not waiting.
Old 09-12-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not an Atari fan but I really LOVE their homebrew communities. I went to a video game show last year and Atari Age had a booth setup and they actually print cartridges of all these homebrew games complete with cases and labels. I really wish there was even a FRACTION of that for the NES scene.. but I guess us NES guys get translations of obscure Japanese games and they can also be made into real cartridges.. maybe that's a fair trade after all.
Old 09-12-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want Custers Revenge II.