Hurricane Katrina documentary airdates/descriptions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurricane Katrina documentary airdates/descriptions

When the Levees Broke
Mon, Aug 21 9PM HBO-First Half
Tue, Aug 22 9PM HBO-Last Half
Spike Lee examines the struggles in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Lee's first of eight visits was three months after the storm hit. He conducted interviews with scores of people from all walks of life, including rescue workers, displaced residents, community leaders, government officials, journalists and native celebrities.

Dateline
Fri, Aug 25 8PM NBC
Focusing on the hurricane's impact on patients and medical personnel in New Orleans

Surviving Katrina
Sun, Aug 27 9PM DSC
Charting the course of the hurricane, its development and devastating impact on the Gulf Coast, Included: footage of Katrina; emergency calls

Katrina: Long Road Back
Mon, Aug 28 8PM NBC
Brian Williams anchors a report on the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. The documentary details the hurricane's destruction and captures the experience of living in the Louisiana Superdome during the storm. Also included is community reaction to the devastation and updates on victims.

Rising from Ruin, Revisited
Tue, Aug 29 10PM MSNBC
Traces the lives of three New Orleans families since the hurricane

Catastrophe: Katrina
Tue, Aug 29 11PM MSNBC
Examines the fury and destruction of Hurricane Katrina
Old 08-21-06, 10:35 PM

Just watched the first two acts of the HBO Spike Lee doc. Very well done and interesting.

HBO will air ALL 4 acts together on 8/29 at 8:00Pm- midnight, so tune in if you missed this excellent series.
Old 08-21-06, 10:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

1 reply so far? that's pretty pathetic.

Heartbreaking documentary.

Normally not a big fan of Spike Lee's because of his reverse racism, but in this case he was right on ....

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to see that the US dropped the ball because of the old 'Haves Vs. Have Nots'. If this was a affluent area, the troops would have been there BEFORE the storm even hit.
Old 08-21-06, 10:53 PM

i agree.

i'm really surprised that there isn't more conversation, especially about the Spike Lee documentary. the first two acts were excellent.

i was more angry/sad watching this than I was while watching United 93 and World Trade Center.
Old 08-21-06, 10:57 PM

I was mightily impressed with the show tonight.

You can't help but get emotional at the frustration and despair. I live approximately 75 miles away from New Orleans, and will never forget the incessant helicopter flybys and convoys of vehicles coming through. It was like living in what one would imagine a war zone to be, without the gunfire and explosions. We were absolutely swamped with evacuees and refugees, and emotions were very mixed. Unfortunately, the media hyped all the negative rumors and kept people scared. This documentary does a good job at showing the chaos and confusion that exploded, expanded, and lingered for quite some time.

Spike Lee did a great job.
Old 08-21-06, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dydion
I was mightily impressed with the show tonight.

You can't help but get emotional at the frustration and despair. I live approximately 75 miles away from New Orleans, and will never forget the incessant helicopter flybys and convoys of vehicles coming through. It was like living in what one would imagine a war zone to be, without the gunfire and explosions. We were absolutely swamped with evacuees and refugees, and emotions were very mixed. Unfortunately, the media hyped all the negative rumors and kept people scared. This documentary does a good job at showing the chaos and confusion that exploded, expanded, and lingered for quite some time.

Spike Lee did a great job.
I was really impressed as well, obviously. However, I wish they would have promoted this more- I didn't even hear of it until this afternoon and I watch HBO ALL THE TIME.

The shots and photographs were stunning and crystal clear in HD. I'm happy I'll have the conclusion to watch tomorrow.
Old 08-22-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Very gripping stuff. I'm gonna have to remind the relatives to tune into the marathon. They're gonna be blown away.
Old 08-22-06, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
1 reply so far? that's pretty pathetic.

Heartbreaking documentary.

Normally not a big fan of Spike Lee's because of his reverse racism, but in this case he was right on ....

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to see that the US dropped the ball because of the old 'Haves Vs. Have Nots'. If this was a affluent area, the troops would have been there BEFORE the storm even hit.
Well it might just be like what happend with Katrina, some just do not care enough to put any effort in I guess. Only reason I did not watch it is because I dont have cable but from what I have been hearing its well done and if it hits DVD I will rent or pick it up.
Old 08-22-06, 09:17 AM

just a bump as a reminder to watch part 2, TONIGHT! (8/22)
Old 08-22-06, 09:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
all four hours in HiDef is gonna eat up alot of space on my DV-R.

caught the tail end of episode two and it just made me sick and mad how third world this event made out the US. (sorry, but had to rant there).
Old 08-22-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I missed part 1...didn't they announce all 4 hours to be played sometime next week? I figure i'll just wait till then.
Old 08-22-06, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I missed part 1...didn't they announce all 4 hours to be played sometime next week? I figure i'll just wait till then.
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland

HBO will air ALL 4 acts together on 8/29 at 8:00Pm- midnight, so tune in if you missed this excellent series.
here is the info.