Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What next gen consoles are you planning on purchasing?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which next gen systems do you plan on purchasing?
Wii Only
31.58%
PS3 Only
0%
X-box 360 Only
5.26%
Wii and X-box 360
36.84%
Wii and PS3
10.53%
PS3 and 360
5.26%
Wii, PS3 and 360
10.53%
None- I'm a Retro gamer
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 11:54 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figured it was time for a new one of these polls.

This is not a thread to discuss which system is "best." Any of that bickering will be reported to mods.

I just want to get an updated feel for what system(s) dvd talkers are planning on picking up after reading through some threads on other forums.

For myself, I'm in no rush to pick up any of them as the DS is taking most of my gaming time, and there are a ton of great games for it on the way this fall. I also have a handful of games on the current gen consoles to get through as well. Thus I doubt I'll be buying any this year.

I will definitely pick up a Wii at some point (barring it being a total flop, which seems highly unlikely) for the quirky games and the virtual console if nothing else. So it gets my vote.

I won't buy a PS3, period. The 360 I may pick up down the road after a price drop for HD sports games once I have an HDTV. But that is unlikely, hence my Wii only vote.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-16-06 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a 360 at launch, will pick up a Wii for the kids (yeah, that's it). If I have enough gamerush credit, maybe a PS3 to ebay

((Didn't we already do one of these?))
Old 08-17-06, 12:35 AM
Banned

Have a 360, PS3 is in the bag. No wii for me till it proves its got something to offer other then gimiick gaming.
Old 08-17-06, 12:39 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by hail2dking
((Didn't we already do one of these?))
Yep, which is why I said it was time for another one. Launch is getting close for the Wii and PS3, and we know a bit more about both than the last thread from months back.
Old 08-17-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will get all three eventually.

I am starting to feel an impulse to get an hdtv and 360, I am going to keep on the lookout for good deals as the holiday season approaches.

I am thinking about a Wii at launch, if it does end up around $200 I probably will.

I will wait for a PS3 until it drops in price, which probably won't be for a few years.
Old 08-17-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will get all of them eventually, because that's just the kind of gamer I am. I can't stand to be out of the loop for too long. I'll wait on a pricedrop (or two) on the PS3, though. I'll get a Wii right off the bat. My brother's got a 360 that I can borrow when I need it for the time being, but I'll probably buy my own when it gets down to around $200 for a Premium.

Basically what I do every generation. Buy one console at launch, and then buy the other ones later when they get cheap and already have a bunch of awesome games.
Old 08-17-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

360 will be the first I buy, kind of waiting for the 1st price drop.

Wii, well I'm confident it will be fun, but I don't really need that style of console right now - more interested in single player and online.

ps3 - I won't pay more than $250-300 for that so I'll be waiting a while.. Luckily there are no games in the immediate pipeline that I particularly care about.
Old 08-17-06, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was onboard for 360 and Wii, but a combination of the 360 issues and a general lack of interest in 360 games have changed my mind. I invested the money I was going to put into buying a 360 back into my PC and now I have a gaming PC that can play Prey, F.E.A.R and Oblivion just as well as a 360 and media center features hooked up to my TV that have no restrictions on what I can stream to my TV.

I will still get the Wii though since it looks to be very unique, fun and affordable. The PS3 is out. Blu-ray movies are a quality nightmare and Sony consoles have always been a quality nightmare for me. Sony will not get any money from me next gen.

My gaming combo for the next gen is PC and Wii.
Old 08-17-06, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already own a 360. I may get a PS3 with my GameRush credit also....would put on EBay also, hoping we have another fiasco like the 360 had
Old 08-17-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I'll be getting a Wii at launch. I'll also be picking up a 360 at some point, but will probably wait until there's a price drop and the reports of people having their system die taper off. The only way I'll buy a PS3 for myself is if it miraculously drops to about half its initial price, which I doubt will happen. I'm torn about pre-ordering one to ebay. It's not a practice I'm a big fan of, but I'm guessing they'll be going for over $1k near the holidays and I could certainly use the extra cash.
Old 08-17-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
This topic is vaguely familiar.

I'm betting the results will be pretty much the same. Those that couldn't swallow the $600 PS3 then aren't going to swallow it still. The Wii rumormill is the same now as it was 4 months ago, only with a dozen more games added to the release list. The 360? Well, everything at E3 was old news and in the four months since, well, nothing new.
Old 08-17-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The only difference I could see is that now some people might be less keen on buying a PS3 for BD movie playback due to its less than stellar launch.

Things could change by November though.
Old 08-17-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Have a 360, PS3 is in the bag. No wii for me till it proves its got something to offer other then gimiick gaming.

Really, if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. I respect that. But if you want to POST things like that, then stay away from threads like this. Actually, stay away from the Video Game Talk Forum altogether.

In terms of moderating, we (the moderators) will view all three systems as being equals and will treat all three systems with equal respect.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums

P.S. It really hasn't been that long since our last thread. Closing.