Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

30 Days-8/9/2006-"Atheist"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 Days-8/9/2006-"Atheist"

I didn't think this was a particularly strong episode, if only because the ground has been covered before in numerous places. It was pretty apparent from the start that no one's mind was going to be changed on either side. There were some amusing moments, I particularly liked Morgan's visit to the Christian theme park, his interview with the actor who played Jesus was pretty funny.

It is interesting how Brenda the atheist claims that she and her family have been subject to prejudice for their beliefs(ha, or lack thereof). That may be true where she lives in Kansas, I would argue that the opposite is true on the coasts. In any case, I was kind of surprised to hear that, it seems like it is much less of an issue than it was 20 or 30 years ago, probably one reason why the show did not have that much impact.

BTW, there is a 30 Days marathon starting on Saturday at noon on FX....
Old 08-09-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Well, I think it was cool that both sides came out of it with 1 or 2 fewer stereotypes, and 1 or 2 more reasons to respect each other.

I didn't think anyone was gonna "jump ship" so that was cool.
Old 08-10-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
I was surprised to hear that only 5% of Americans are athiests - I thought it would've been more.

Even as a Christian, I can say that Christians can certainly be judgemental pricks... but no more or less than any other people - almost anyone with a strong belief in something will, in varying degrees, look down on those whos beliefs run contrary to theirs, and vice-versa.

Just look at the debates in the movie forum about what movies people like and don't like.
Old 08-10-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh, it wasn't anything I haven't seen before. These shows always pick the most namby-pamby atheists. When the husband was asking her how she could have any morals without the bible, I wanted her to ask him if he went around raping and killing people before he found Jesus.

Plus, what a lame church. If you're going to be Christian, go with the dark wood, uncomfortable pews, heavy drapery, and outlandishly costumed priests.
Old 08-10-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a Christian, but I draw the line at Christian rock. I believe in keeping rock and roll away from Jesus and Jesus away from rock and roll. It's like mixing good whiskey and chocolate milk. I love them by themselves, but together they're gross.
Old 08-10-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by misterchimpy

BTW, there is a 30 Days marathon starting on Saturday at noon on FX....
Is this regional?, I remember seeing it advertised after the show last night, but can't find anything on my tv listings.

Also, thought the show was good, thought it was funny when the lady took the christians to an atheist meeting and in one sentence the guy is saying "love thy neighbor" and then in the next sentence he says to the atheist, "if you don't like how it is in this country, move somewhere else", good thing he was not hypocritical.
Old 08-10-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Plus, what a lame church. If you're going to be Christian, go with the dark wood, uncomfortable pews, heavy drapery, and outlandishly costumed priests.

Personally, I hate those places.
Old 08-10-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must say that I thought the husband was a dick...but I did enjoy this episode
Old 08-10-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts
Originally Posted by gotrice487
I must say that I thought the husband was a dick...but I did enjoy this episode

Totally. The Christian wife was really cool - very open-minded.

This is the only episode I plan on watching this season (since it hits home). It was lame - predictable, much like most of the 1st season for the most part.

I couldn't believe that Christian theme park though. That shocked me. Maybe I just don't understood, but wouldn't a Christian be insulted by a lot of that stuff?

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-10-06 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I was surprised to hear that only 5% of Americans are athiests - I thought it would've been more.

If you throw in agnostics, it is about 11-12%.
Old 08-11-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I couldn't believe that Christian theme park though. That shocked me. Maybe I just don't understood, but wouldn't a Christian be insulted by a lot of that stuff?
Yes - very much so. It made me cringe so much, that I actually had to fast-forwarded some of that segment. I found it so offensive and repugnant, that I couldn't even laugh at it in an ironic way like I usually do at a lot of the silly Christians out there.
Old 08-11-06, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
Yes - very much so. It made me cringe so much, that I actually had to fast-forwarded some of that segment. I found it so offensive and repugnant, that I couldn't even laugh at it in an ironic way like I usually do at a lot of the silly Christians out there.
Yeah I was watching with someone and she was laughing her ass off throughout that whole segment. It was quite embarrassing. That park was lame.

It made me think of "For Richer or Poorer" with Kirstey Alley and Tim Allen when he wanted people to invest in his Bible Theme park "Holy Land".
Old 08-11-06, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love how the father hoped the atheist would be open to showing her kids both sides.
Do you think for one second that guy ever presented differing viewpoints to his daughter (although by having the atheist in their home for 30 days it does go a bit against what I'm saying ). The atheist DID want her kids to read the bible to be exposed to how others think.
Old 08-11-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I love how the father hoped the atheist would be open to showing her kids both sides.
Do you think for one second that guy ever presented differing viewpoints to his daughter (although by having the atheist in their home for 30 days it does go a bit against what I'm saying ). The atheist DID want her kids to read the bible to be exposed to how others think.

I "know" this Christian couple. Not literally, but I know the type from working in Christian radio and having gone to Christian schools. Believe me, they were hoping to convert her or at least "plant the seed of salvation" in her heart. Even the annoying Ham of a Pastor in their Church was "performing" for her sake. You could tell. I'll bet he's never that lively even in that casual style Church. I'll bet the Christian family went to their Pastor, a given since they had to get permission to shoot in the Church, and told him about the whole thing. I'll also bet that on the day they showed up, he did his "special sermon" written just for that athiest. The whole Church was probably doing special Prayer meetings just for the athiest coming to that family's home.

I'm not necessarily saying this to shit on the family or the Pastor because I don't think they did it out of spite, but I just got that vibe while watching.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-11-06 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 08-11-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I "know" this Christian couple. Not literally, but I know the type from working in Christian radio and having gone to Christian schools. Believe me, they were hoping to convert her or at least "plant the seed of salvation" in her heart. Even the annoying Ham of a Pastor in their Church was "performing" for her sake. You could tell. I'll bet he's never that lively even in that casual style Church. I'll bet the Christian family went to their Pastor, a given since they had to get permission to shoot in the Church, and told him about the whole thing. I'll also bet that on the day they showed up, he did his "special sermon" written just for that athiest. The whole Church was probably doing special Prayer meetings just for the athiest coming to that families home.

I'm not necessarily saying this to shit on the family or the Pastor because I don't think they did it out of spite, but I just got that vibe while watching.
I would agree with you. I'm sure everything you said is true.

My impressions: The husband was kinda a jerk at times, but he seemed like he at least tried to be a nice guy... he just wasn't good at it. The wife and the other members of her church seemed cool and nice. They seemed to speak of the atheist woman with respect. They seemed also to be normal, which I was happy about. I was almost certain they were going to put them in some wacko Christian family home.

The theme park: Part of it made me cringe. It seemed more like a way to make money from believers than to share the Bible story. Some of it I could being done in a church setting for free and feeling more genuine.

The atheists who wanted those crosses taken down in Utah: I'm not sure if they/he understands what he's doing. If he's offended by seeing crosses on public land... The reaction from the Christian side will be enormous. I can only imagine how many crosses and other religious symbols he'll have to see on private land after he's accomplished his goal of removing them from the public land. This is already taking place, where Churches and private citizens will simply put this stuff on private property... sometimes feet away from the public space they once were on.

Overall, I thought it was a decent episode.
Old 08-11-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
The atheists who wanted those crosses taken down in Utah: I'm not sure if they/he understands what he's doing. If he's offended by seeing crosses on public land... The reaction from the Christian side will be enormous. I can only imagine how many crosses and other religious symbols he'll have to see on private land after he's accomplished his goal of removing them from the public land. This is already taking place, where Churches and private citizens will simply put this stuff on private property... sometimes feet away from the public space they once were on.
I agree. As an atheist, I would prefer not to see crosses or any other religious display on public property, but I'm not getting all bent out of shape about it- it's just not that important. Same with "in god we trust" on money- yeah, I'd prefer it not to be there, but who really gives a shit?
Old 08-11-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giantrobo what you said was true, but I don't know if the preacher guy was hamming it up. That's the way they sound, and it's really hard to take seriously and not roll your eyes and laugh. At least that's how it's been for me the few times over the last several years that I've gone to church when family has asked. The whole church scene just seems comical and ridiculous. A am actually a Christian, but don't go to actual 'church.'
Old 08-11-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, when the father kept saying that he couldn't understand how she could be teaching morals to her children without the bible, I was ready to burst. What makes him think that Christians corner the market on morality? Do you really need to read a book to know that killing, raping, stealing, etc. are bad?

I always wonder about the underlying morality of someone that needs the bible to know these things. Like, what would you be doing without that book?
Old 08-11-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shady12
Giantrobo what you said was true, but I don't know if the preacher guy was hamming it up. That's the way they sound, and it's really hard to take seriously and not roll your eyes and laugh. At least that's how it's been for me the few times over the last several years that I've gone to church when family has asked. The whole church scene just seems comical and ridiculous. A am actually a Christian, but don't go to actual 'church.'
Who's "They"?
Old 08-11-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most preachers. They don't talk like most people. The way they make their voice sound, kind of like one on the show. It's weird.
Old 08-12-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The preacher seemed to be a typical southern super church preacher, I have seen several and they pretty much act the same. Hell the one that officiated my step mother's funeral pretty much acted the same, it was hard to tell it was a funeral at times.

I would bet many atheist share a history like this women, like myself, one of growing up in/around the church and being a Christian for some time. Actually churchs (especially big churchs) are what got me into my journey into atheism. It amazes me the number of christians that think atheists are heathens and have no morals - like this lady seemed, I think I live my life more morally, even "christianly", than most christians I have met do - I know WWJD more than many of them.

*Bolded as to not lump our dvdtalk Christians with most of those I have met.
Old 08-12-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Cusm

It amazes me the number of christians that think atheists are heathens and have no morals -

But I think the point is if you never meet "the other side" or if you only have limited exposure and all of it negative, then it's natural to believe stereotypes like that. Many Christians like the family in the show grow up in surrounded by Christians so that's all they know. It's like when a person has never had a chance to meet someone of another race. They often come with ideas and beliefs that end up being false.

Originally Posted by Cusm
I think I live my life more morally, even "christianly", than most christians I have met do - I know WWJD more than many of them.
Interesting.... I'm sure many Christians think they live their lives better than you. I guess you both need to stop stereotyping the other side...
Old 08-14-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Did anyone think that the preacher looked like one of those infomercial motivational speakers?
What I found interesting about the show was that these two families were basically the same - they wanted to teach their children good values and be happy. The only difference appeared to be worldview. What bugs me about many religious people, in my experience, is that they think the bible is the be all and end all human morality, wisdom, etc.
As far as the crosses, ten commandments, whatever, on public property, it's never really been an issue with me. Would these same people mind a quote about morality from the Koran in a government building? A statue of Buddha in a courtroom? I have a feeling that these same people would be throwing out the separation of church and state card then!
I've often had Christians remark to me that I would make a good Christian because I don't drink or do drugs, am good to people, courteous etc., and I have to respond that these aren't Christian values, they're human values.
Old 08-15-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"The preacher seemed to be a typical southern super church preacher, I have seen several and they pretty much act the same."

This was an evangelical church. One step above televangelism.

I think we all have seen more "small churches" in local neighborhoods than the large evangelical ministries. The producers of the show picked a much more colorful errr target than one common to most communities.

There was an agenda here (as always). Being a liberal (tree huggin hippie) atheist myself, it is always more fun not being the target.