Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Questions about the Dish Network HD DVR

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Questions about the Dish Network HD DVR

Anyone else have this? Just wondering, is TV 1 the only one that will actually record in HD? I have programmed it to record a number of things and some are on TV 1 and some are TV2, but it seems like I recalled that TV two was standard definition.
Old 07-30-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the Vip622, then it will record everything in HD (if the program is broadcast in HD). It outputs to tv 2 in SD though, but you can watch it in HD on tv 1.

All 3 of the 622's tuners are HD, the third being the OTA tuner.
Old 07-30-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Fantastic and thank you. So the source is HD, it will always record HD, but it can only output SD to tv 2. I don't use a second tv with it, so it is no biggie. Thanks much.
Old 07-31-06, 02:21 PM
Banned

I have the vip622 as well. It will record up to 30 hours of HD programming.
Old 08-01-06, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im thinking of switching from TWC to DISH myself, so let me ask some questions myself.

How many programs can I record at once? 1 OTA and 2 through DISH? Considering that most of the shows I regularly DVR are on local channels, am I better off waiting for Raleigh locals to be added? (which is supposed to be soon).

Also, how does it output to the SDTV? Is HD programming letterboxed, or is it squeezed to fit or centercropped? And can I change this option?

Oh, and since Im new to the whole satellite TV thing, do I need a phone line still to use a satellite receiver? Right now the price comparison between what I have with TWC and what Im looking at with DISH is the same, but having to pay for a phone every month (I just use a cell) would make the deal less enticing.
Old 08-01-06, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have Dish, but can answer a few of those.

The new VIP622 can record on all three tuners at the same time. Two satellite, one OTA. One of the big reasons I'm not switching is because I completely need two OTA HD tuners during the regular TV season. I'm waiting for HD locals to be added before I consider it.

Both DirecTV and Dish "require" you to have the receiver hooked up to a phone line. However, Dish actually charges you $5 a month if you don't. DirecTV doesn't. I have DirecTV right now and my house has no landline.
Old 08-01-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Im thinking of switching from TWC to DISH myself, so let me ask some questions myself.

Also, how does it output to the SDTV? Is HD programming letterboxed, or is it squeezed to fit or centercropped? And can I change this option?
TV2's output is whatever the source is, but there's a "format" button on the remote to stretch, zoom, or add gray bars if that's your preference. You can also use the format button on TV1 as well.

You need to have it plugged into a phone line to order pay per view, but you can still use Dish without it being plugged in to a phone line. There is a $5 a month charge as previously said though.
Old 08-10-06, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks...so without a phone line, I can do everything put PPV? So I would have all the DVR capabilities, on screen guide, etc? That works for me...and even the $5 charge is cheaper than a phone line. I do wonder why they cant put an Ethernet port on the back and let you contact Dish via the net...anyone with high speed internet would have no problem hooking their DVR up that way.