Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ALL IN THE FAMILY - opening theme song -- different each season?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from IMDB:
Originally the theme tune was going to be performed by an orchestra. However, due to budgetary concerns it was decided that series stars Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton perform the song seated at the piano. The two stars updated their rendition each year.

is this true? I did notice that the first season was different from the 3rd season, but the 3rd and 4th season was the same.

How about the 5th season?
Old 05-01-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure which season, but Edith & Archie did sing it differently in later seasons. Same song, just a little broader.

The first season (or maybe more) actually had the laugh track during the song.
Old 05-01-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was always the same song, they just re-sang it every season I believe:

"Since the recent death of Carroll O'Connor, I've received more questions about "All in the Family" than ever before. I think the most asked question is regarding the lyrics to the theme song: "What are the lyrics to 'Those Were the Days'?"

I'm not the first to receive this question. It was asked by thousands of viewers during the run of the series, so many in-fact, that the theme song was re-recorded by Jean Stapleton and Carroll O'Connor. The line that gives everyone so much trouble is: "Gee, our old LaSalle ran great." You'll notice that after the second season, Jean sings it much clearer. This was to help those of you that didn't catch it the first two season's.

The problem wasn't as much with diction, as it was with the dated reference. Many people thought it referred to the LaSalle University track team, it doesn't. LaSalle was a division of Cadillac that produced autos from 1927 to 1940.
There are also other verses of the "Those Were the Days" that are only heard on the "All in the Family" albums.

www.mortystv.com/aitf_faq.shtml
Old 05-01-06, 12:05 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
From what I remember watching the show growing up, yes, the theme was a different recording each season.