Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Real World Golf, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real World Golf, anyone?

Saw it at a Best Buy recently. There was this dude on the demo and it looks pretty good. I'm surprised no one mentioned it here.

Quick Link

Any input?
Old 04-20-06, 04:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

looks cool, how much is it?
Old 04-20-06, 04:11 PM

Best Buy online has it for $69.99, similar to Guitar Hero bundle.
Old 04-20-06, 04:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Access Software/Links 386 Golf had something similar to this about 10 years ago. Never really took off.
Old 04-20-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My friends have this now and I am supposed to head over there Saturday night. They say it is pretty awesome.
Old 04-20-06, 05:07 PM

Gallant Pig - Now that you've mentioned, I think I do remember something like that. I do remember playing Links 386, but vaguely.

ElementZ - Can you let me know what you think of it? I haven't been able to find another Best Buy with the demo.
Old 04-20-06, 05:08 PM

I only played it for 10 mins but my initial impressions were meh.

I didn't like the feel of the gloves on with these strings attached to them. Basically the pulling of your hand motion on the strings determines how you hit the ball. The club is hilarious, it's a short 2 foot piece of plastic that makes you look silly when you swing it. I'm not sure if the device reads anything from the club. I think the only input is from the strings. And if you plan on playing this with friends be prepared to take the gloves on and off all the time to take turns. Although it was mentioned that they will sell additional gloves. But I have a feeling they are just the gloves and you have to unhook the strings and rehook them to gloves for each person turn. I see this as being a chore.

Graphics are average from what I saw. This was the PS2 version. On the good side it seemed to track my swing pretty well.

Look forward to seeing some reviews from the pubs or other impressions from you guys.
Old 04-20-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have not played it, but impressions on the game sites from editors is that its so-so.
Old 04-20-06, 06:46 PM

I got it the other day, it's not bad. The game definitely doesn't read anything from the club itself, it's all from the wires. You could use a real club, but you have to stand pretty close to the base unit, so I'm not sure it's worth the risk of damage. There's a foot pedal to select menu options and you raise your left/right hands to control aiming and menu movement.

The extra gloves you can buy are just so you can unhook the cords and reconnect them easier, but I think that would definitely be better than taking on and off the gloves. One nice thing for multiplayer is that the game lets player one do one complete whole, then player two, etc, then you switch the gloves out.

Graphics are terrible, commentary is forgettable and there isn't any licensing. I didn't look too close, but I didn't notice any kind of career mode anywhere, only options for a full round, quick 9 holes, tournament, some party games (darts!) and the practice/training stuff. There's a total of about 10 made-up courses, 8 of which are locked from the beginning and accessible after shooting a given score on certain previous courses.

The game itself is pretty easy if you have a halfway decent swing even on the hardest level. I'm by no means a scratch golfer, but my first complete round on the hardest level in the game I shot a 65. It also does a pretty good job of recognizing swing problems and recreating hooks, slices and topping the ball. It takes a few rounds to get your handicap (starts at a default of 28), but my first certificate was 0. Putting is a little weird, there's no aiming, you just have to get the power right (which is difficult enough). Putting does have a practice function so you can swing and see what percentage you are getting without going into the putt blind. Another thing I thought was a little strange was the fact that you can't hit the ball as far on lower difficulty levels. Even on pro, the max with a driver is about 260 yards (I hit my driver about 285-310 if I put a good swing on it).

Overall, I'd say it's a good start for the peripheral, but by no means an awesome golf sim or swing trainer. Swinging a club (even a plastic one) is definitely more fun than pushing up and down on an analog stick though.

Last edited by murray731; 04-20-06 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
If anyone is planning on picking this up, I just noticed Best Buy has an instore $10 off coupon for it that's good through tomorrow. I can't get it to link directly, but it's available on this page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....mcat8400050004