Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 06:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
What About Brian - "Pilot" - 4/16

"Pilot"
Spoiler:
Brian and Adam make a pact to end their dead-end relationships, but after Brian follows through, Adam proposes instead.

The main reason I'm watching

Sarah Lancaster
Old 04-16-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an excellent reason to be sure.

Let's hope it both fares better and is better than her last series.
Old 04-16-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Yeah - this series has sappy-chick-show written all over it, but with Sarah Lancaster, particularly as a brunette, in it, makes it hard to ignore.
Old 04-16-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's Lisa the Gift Shop Girl! I'll watch.
Old 04-16-06, 07:33 PM

Debating on not watching because I already have too many shows that I watch.
Old 04-16-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I haven't read good things about it, but I'll give it a shot...because of Sarah Lancaster.

Old 04-16-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sarah looks much better as a blonde, though.
Old 04-16-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I think the angst level in this pilot was about to suffocate me, but Gift Shop Girl is still the reason to keep watching for now.
Old 04-16-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
Sarah looks much better as a blonde, though.
My wife thinks she looks better as a brunette, and I am starting to agree.

Along w/ Rick Gomez, "Dave", she was definitely the best part of the show.
Old 04-16-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't believe they were commenting on cargirl's right boob being bigger than the left one. If I were Amy Jo Johnson (Pink Power Ranger), I'd be mortified!

I might have to put GSG on my list of viable candidates for the Wonder Woman movie.
Old 04-16-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
I might have to put GSG on my list of viable candidates for the Wonder Woman movie.
Good call.
Old 04-17-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mmmmm I'll watch anything with Sarah Lancaster.
Old 04-17-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked the show. I guess it is Executive Produced by JJ Abrahms and he calls it the Male Felicity?
Great characters, a good group of actors and a lot of eye candy for both sexes.
Maybe the show will take off after Desperate Housewives and get the same audience of Grey's Anatomy. This show deserves a chance.
Old 04-17-06, 02:37 AM

I enjoyed it as well even though I wanted to loath it since it has a cast member of 7th Heaven. If anything it will follow the usual pattern JJ Abrahms' shows go through. It will be very good for the first season or two and then it will nosedive and suck until the network cancels it.
Old 04-17-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The show airs in its Monday night 10 p.m. slot starting tonight.
Old 04-17-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a boring show. The appearance by the first pink Power Ranger though was much appreicated She was the one who the dude from 7th Heaven hit with his car and then started to date.
Old 04-17-06, 10:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I liked this show mainly because of the leads barry watson, sarah lancaster, matthew davis is pretty good. It's scary but i can relate to this show. Most of my friends are married. I am in my early 30's and it is very weird dealing with people you know back in the day when they were drinking and fooling around with 2 girls in the same night and now they have kids. It creates a weird dynamic. the reality is my friends tell me they now live vicariously through me while their wives hate my guts because i am seen as a bad influence. Plus they are always bitching about the their kids and wife. I'm like my life isn't that easy. I never crushed on any of my firends wives though. OHH well, I make more money then my friends and I date hotter younger women. I hate getting christmas cards with the kids and whole family on them. Talk about sticking it your face. This year I struck back, I sent out a christmas card with me in my hot tub with two hot looking woman, on the back it said "the Life your forced to live when you're still single."

I apoligize for my venting.
Old 04-17-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sabre
I liked this show mainly because of the leads barry watson, sarah lancaster, matthew davis is pretty good. It's scary but i can relate to this show. Most of my friends are married. I am in my early 30's and it is very weird dealing with people you know back in the day when they were drinking and fooling around with 2 girls in the same night and now they have kids. It creates a weird dynamic. the reality is my friends tell me they now live vicariously through me while their wives hate my guts because i am seen as a bad influence. Plus they are always bitching about the their kids and wife. I'm like my life isn't that easy. I never crushed on any of my firends wives though. OHH well, I make more money then my friends and I date hotter younger women. I hate getting christmas cards with the kids and whole family on them. Talk about sticking it your face. This year I struck back, I sent out a christmas card with me in my hot tub with two hot looking woman, on the back it said "the Life your forced to live when you're still single."

I apoligize for my venting.
My friends' wives say that I give their hubby's bad ideas (Big screen TVs, surround sound plus subwoofer setup, tons of DVDs, etc, etc) Heh!
Old 04-17-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightwing82
What a boring show. The appearance by the first pink Power Ranger though was much appreicated She was the one who the dude from 7th Heaven hit with his car and then started to date.
She was more than a Pink Power Ranger, she was on Felicity for a few years too.
Boring? Hmmm. OK.

EW's review:

Bitchy chicks wear Uggs, cool girls love football, married couples can still be hip if they have tattoos, and good guys drive vintage cars and yearn soulfully for true love — but not so soulfully that they won't sleep around. These are the oh-so-slyly introduced tenets of ABC's What About Brian, a beautifully packaged thirtysomething for Gen-Xers who want to think they're not entirely yuppified and...thirtysomething.

Brian (7th Heaven's Barry Watson) is the lone single in a group of well-groomed Angelenos with some of the most unreal real estate since Friends. He's charming, sweet, and hung up on the fiancée of his best friend, Adam (Legally Blonde's Matthew Davis, mildly less smarmy here).

For fellow Gen-Xers, I'll put it in St. Elmo's Fire-speak: Adam is ambitious, lustful Judd Nelson minus the overt cheating; Brian is deep, doting Andrew McCarthy but with some manhood; and Adam's fiancée, Marjorie (Everwood's Sarah Lancaster), is Ally Sheedy plus big boobs. And if you wondered in junior high why those guys were fighting over Sheedy's bland preppy, then the analogy continues to work, because Marjorie is no stop-the-world woman — she's a pretty pediatrician who's a good-enough egg (see: loves football, is pleasant about ''boys' night out''). It's a bit of a dramatic pickle when every other actress on the show — including Rosanna Arquette as Brian's predictably fertility-challenged older sister — has more to chew on. Particularly good is Amanda Detmer (Final Destination) as an inked-up mom of three who believes an open marriage may spice things up. Detmer does tremendously subtle things within that blatant story line: She's the essence of smothered comfort.

Nice work, because Brian's writing, while witty, tends to be oversize. Surprising, considering J.J. Abrams (Lost), who proved his smarts at relationship dramas with The WB's Felicity, serves as an executive producer. One girl Brian dates (Felicity's Amy Jo Johnson, no less) is so crazy she has an obsession with buying mattresses (weirdness has its own tipping point, and that's way tipped); two key scenes hinge on messages left on an answering machine, a quaint device that most of us haven't seen since... St. Elmo's Fire. Meanwhile, Adam — a gelled, ogling lawyer who screams Corporate Tool — seems unworthy not only of Marjorie but of Brian too. It's not a particularly painful love triangle if one of the points is dull. (Or, hmmm, add Marjorie and that makes two.)

Watson, however, is such a genial actor, he's able to send out the vibes of the goodest guy ever (who, remember, isn't so good he's neutered — he's still having lots of sex). You're willing to try liking Adam and Marjorie because Brian likes Adam and Marjorie. You may even stick around for a bit to see if the couple earns it. Grade: B

Last edited by riley_dude; 04-17-06 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

pretty good show, kind of suprised thought it would be pretty crappy, pretty good music too!