Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Match Game On GSN

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 04:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Match Game On GSN

Didnt see a thread for my favorite game show of all time.

Loved it as a 9 year old. Love it now as a man in his late 30s.

One exception : Kaye Stevens - A semi-regular from the first few seasons. Her laugh is forced and fake. I officially hate her.

Love Gene, Richard, Brett & the hilarious Charles Nelson Reilly.
Old 03-08-06, 04:57 PM

I like Fannie Flagg and Joann Pflug.
Old 03-08-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember her name, but the woman that always gave the dumbest answers that had absolutely nothing to do with the actual clue - couldn't stand her (she was always -almost always?- the last one at the bottom after Richard Dawson). It wasn't Betty White nor Fannie Flagg: the red head, I think.

If she was the one answer keeping me from winning the game, I would have went off on her.

Last edited by conscience; 03-08-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
The best part of watching this is seeing the ashtrays and cigarette smoke. Ah, the good old days.
Old 03-08-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
This game is an addiction of mine.

But only the ones where Dawson is being friendly and funny. Once he got into contract disputes, his behavior changed and all he would say was his 1-word answers. It's very, very easy to tell the diff in Dawson's attitude.

more details
As Richard Dawson became more and more popular in the wake of Feud’s success, he became increasingly difficult to deal with on Match Game. Adding the Star Wheel in 1977 didn’t help matters; it shook up the Head-to-Head Match a bit by having the contestant spin a wheel that chose which celebrity they would play with (possibly doubling the stakes to $10,000 as well). But the introduction of this element also took away a part of the show that had been Dawson’s exclusive domain. He "stopped participating" (in Gene Rayburn’s words), leaving altogether MG in 1978.
http://www.curtalliaume.com/mg.html
Old 03-08-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, hello James Lipton! I'm King Llort! There's a troll in Central Park. I'm King Llort!

das
Old 03-08-06, 06:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by conscience
I can't remember her name, but the woman that always gave the dumbest answers that had absolutely nothing to do with the actual clue - couldn't stand her (she was always -almost always?- the last one at the bottom after Richard Dawson). It wasn't Betty White nor Fannie Flagg: the red head, I think.

If she was the one answer keeping me from winning the game, I would have went off on her.
You're thinking of Patti Deutsch, and I agree. She was always playing the game to make jokes, never to actually match someone.
Old 03-08-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The word genius was created from the name Gene Rayburn.

My all time favorite game show. Removing a single word and allowing each of us to replace it with the first thing that comes into mind is very dangerous. It reveals who we really are.
Old 03-08-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always liked Debralee Scott. I was sad that she died recently.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-08-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
"Dumb Donna was so dumb..."

"HOW DUMB WAS SHE??!!"

"Dumb Donna was so dumb, that when she was asked to take a seat, she took her...blank."

Man, gotta love the Rayburn.
Old 03-08-06, 07:28 PM

Debralee Scott I always liked her.

I used to watch this a lot on GSN until I got trapped in an endless block of Dick Martin and or Bill Daily episodes. They tiried so hard to be funny in Dawson's old chair, McLean Stevenson was probably the best at it during that time...
Old 03-08-06, 08:17 PM

"Forgetful Freddy is SO forgetful, that he drew a blank."
Old 03-08-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always loved this show too and still watch the reruns. I always wondered how Brett Somers, Scoey Mitchell, Patti Deutsch, Ken Olson, etc. were on the show as celebs when I never saw them in anything else ever. That stands to this day.

I even like the shows after Richard Dawson was gone, with Bill Daily and the hilarious McLean Stevenson filling in that position.
Old 03-09-06, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've always loved this show too and still watch the reruns. I always wondered how Brett Somers, Scoey Mitchell, Patti Deutsch, Ken Olson, etc. were on the show as celebs when I never saw them in anything else ever.
Ditto here.

I was just curiously looking up some of their bios on imdb.com and was shocked - shocked, I tell ya' - to find out that Bret Somers was married to Jack Klugman! After all these years, I never knew that!
Old 03-09-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Richard Dawson is the Man! He was the go to guy when the money was on the line, I gotta believe he was chosen over 50% of the time during his time on the show.