Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uwe Boll - Worst director ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

House of the Dead
Alone in the Dark
BloodRayne

What's even funnier is he's gonna direct Postal and Far Cry aswell.

Does he ever learn?

Leave the Video Games alone and stop ruining them.
Old 02-17-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, Uwe Boll comes up frequently since he's such as ass clown.

I think he's our new Ed Wood. Some people disagree because they think Boll knows he makes crap. However, if you listen to his interviews/commentary I don't think this is the case. He seems to genuinely believe he is making good films. And, like Wood, he always thinks his next film will be better.

There is more information about his current exploits here:

Probing the mind of producer/director Uwe Boll
Old 02-17-06, 09:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are plenty of worse directors if you count the hacks who make awful direct-to-dvd or Sci Fi channel movies, etc. But on a "resources-available to end-result" scale he may be the worst.
Old 02-17-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i think hes worse then any sci-fi channel movie director, his are un watchable, plus those directors on sci-fi channel only have a couple million dollars for a budget, uwe got 20+ million budget for bloodrayne and gets what 40-60 million for dungen siege? he has budgets to work with
Old 02-17-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I'm not familiar with any of his "oeuvre", but it sounds like he's all about the dosh.
Old 02-17-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, he is. And not in the campy, it's cool to watch his movies and make fun of them kind of way. His films just plain suck. He's completely soulless and he makes the kinds of films that will actually lower your I.Q. with each passing minute.

People seem to forget one important thing when comparing him to Ed Wood...

Mr. Wood made films with the intention of them actually being good. He didn't have nowhere near the resources that people like Uwe Boll had. He had pride in what he did, even as bad as it was. Someone like Boll has no pride and is content at wasting millions of dollars and people's time and energy. He may play innocent, but that surely is an act. You simply can't pretend you believe you are making a good film from the get go considering how much a process the pre-production stage is today. Back in Ed Wood's day they would write a script, or sometimes write while they were shooting, scout locations, make sets and shoot within the span of a week! Months and months of planning are put in advance nowadays. A director knows what he has usually by the end of the first day of shooting. There are no excuses. Just dumb people who enjoy making money.

These distinctions makes Uwe Boll a steaming pile of shit who happens to be human.
Old 02-18-06, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silly people. He's not a bad director, he's just misunderstood.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62899

"The dangerous thing right now is that a lot of people bash me without thinking about the movies. It's fashionable to hit on Uwe Boll, and this is what I don't get. And I don't get why this comes so harshly from the games press," Boll says.

Old 02-18-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
Yes, Uwe Boll comes up frequently since he's such as ass clown.

I think he's our new Ed Wood.
That's an insult to Ed Wood. He made movies that are so bad, they're good. (In fact, I think Plan 9 From Outer Space is one of the greatest comedies ever made because it has comic timing so perfect, that it's amazing it wasn't planned that way.)

On the other side, Uwe Boll's movies are so bad, they're awful. The director he's most like is Coleman Francis.
Old 02-18-06, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the guy talking about pre-production these days, here's how bad Uwe Boll is. I was at a premiere screening of Bloodrayne at a film festival, and Boll was doing a Q&A (most entertaining Q&A I've ever seen, by the way). During the Q&A he was talking about casting, and his advice to the young filmmakers was as follows: "Wait as late as you can before casting. When we were casting this movie, we waited until a couple of weeks before shooting started, the last possible minute. That way you get big actors who have a hole in their schedule." He doesn't cast based on talent or who fits the role, he waits until the last minute to get big names. That was one of the dozen or so laughable things he had to say...but you get the idea.

-JP
Old 02-18-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
He's no Raja Gosnell...
Old 02-18-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does one pronouce this fools name? I'm so used to saying "Yoo Bowl"
Old 02-18-06, 03:46 PM
Banned

^ I've always just called him Eew-ie, but some article said it was pronounced ooh-vay, or something to that respect.
Old 02-19-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
My girlfriend and I just watched House of the Dead. It was one of the worst movies we had ever seen. Unfortunately, it wasn't even a so-bad-it's-fun bad movie.

Yes, Uwe is terrible.
Old 02-19-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I pronounce his name as "You Bowl" as well, but most of my friends just pronounce it as "Shit".

= J
Old 02-19-06, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
How does one pronouce this fools name? I'm so used to saying "Yoo Bowl"
Yeah, he's German. It's pronounced "oo-vay bowl."

-JP
Old 02-19-06, 07:49 AM

uwe boll
you blow
Old 02-19-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's OO-Veh BOHLL.

And I actually respected him more after that EuroGamer article.

Boll believes it's because he's too willing to discuss his movies, and too honest in his responses. "I think I'm very open, and I talk with everybody and give interviews to everybody. Over the last few years I've realised that it's not helping me that I'm open, and ready to discuss and to learn. Saying that I learned from my mistakes is maybe the biggest mistake I made."
Old 02-19-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Yeah, he's German. It's pronounced "oo-vay bowl."
I like saying his name as "Oy Vey!" (with a roll of the eyes) "Bowl"

It may not be a 100% correct pronunciation, but it fits the man perfectly.
Old 02-19-06, 12:26 PM

Toilet Bowl; considering the apparent rock bottom nature of his movies, I certainly think the prick's sir name is pretty apt.

Hell, Uwe Bowl even makes Richard Dean Anderson look like Cecil B. DeMille in comparison, for f**k sake!
Old 02-19-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Hell, Uwe Bowl even makes Richard Dean Anderson look like Cecil B. DeMille in comparison, for f**k sake!
What has Richard Dean Anderson directed?
Old 02-19-06, 05:32 PM

""I've met tons of people who think BloodRayne is way better than Underworld 2, but they're not going on the Internet and writing that... I'm a little tired of only getting questions from journalists like, 'Your movies were so badly received, blah blah blah.' I know tons of movies that were way worse than Alone in the Dark and House of the Dead.""

Bloodrayne better then Underworld? lol, even if you didnt like underworld you gotta admit its well dont, it looks great. the first one cost around 22 million and the film looked like a 100 million dollar movie. Uwe films such as bloodryane looked aweful cheap and full of bad lighting. he's always putting down other movies, says halo will be a failure?
Old 02-19-06, 05:33 PM

Posted by Jay G.:
What has Richard Dean Anderson directed?
Shit, I meant Paul W.S. Anderson, the guy who recently direct Alien Vs. Predator, not Richard Dean Anderson, the guy from MacGyver and Stargate SG-1.

My bad...
Old 02-19-06, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon
""I've met tons of people who think BloodRayne is way better than Underworld 2, but they're not going on the Internet and writing that... I'm a little tired of only getting questions from journalists like, 'Your movies were so badly received, blah blah blah.' I know tons of movies that were way worse than Alone in the Dark and House of the Dead.""
How can there be tons of people who have seen BloodRayne when it grossed like $1 million total?
Old 02-20-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
I also wonder how he continues to get chosen for movies. Are studios really hoping to catch his "inevitable breakthrough" that never comes?
Old 02-20-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
I also wonder how he continues to get chosen for movies.
He raises the money for the productions himself. How else do you think he keeps working?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.