Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LCD Burn-in with 2.35:1?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My parents just got a Samsung LCD TV. Of course 1.85:1 films fill the screen.

Although looking through the instructions it said anytime bars are present for more than 2 hours it can cause burn-in. So if I wanted to watch something like Star Wars Episode 3, it would cause burn-in for the TV? I don't want to zoom in on films shot in 2:35.1 widescreen.

Also how does everyone view something that was suppose to be in 4:3? It seems that using 16x9 mode will cut off some of the sides.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
LCD really shouldn't have burn-in, where a permanent image is formed. The entire back of the LCD is uniformily illuminated. The LCD twists light selectively between two polarizers to control illumination at color. An image may persist for a little while but should go away in time. I wonder if the whole paragraph isn't a leftover cut&paste from a plasma manual, where the concern is more real.

4:3 material should be "pillar-boxed" with black or gray bars on sides. There are zoom or stretch modes to fill the screen. Zoom chops off part of the picture, and stretch makes people look fat; some stretch functions are better than others, but I dislike them
Old 12-31-05, 08:12 AM
Banned

LCD doesn't "burn-in". What could happen is that pixels will get "stuck" in that color. To solve, simply unplug the unit for a few minutes.

I have heard of one instance where these pixels wouldn't get unstuck. It was a Sharp unit, and Sharp actually replaced the unit for free and studied the broken unit to find out why it happened. This was some time ago.
Old 12-31-05, 08:31 AM
Banned

I've had my 50" Hitachi LCD HDTV for two and half years now, and watched DVDs with the OAR of 2:35.1, 2:40.1 anamorphic all the time, and I've never had a problem with burn in images.
Old 12-31-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's odd that their manual says it can get burnt in. The manual on my LCD says it can't.
Old 12-31-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the manual for my Sammy LCD says the same thing - I just assumed it is leftover text from a plasma manual.
Old 12-31-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, one of the beauties of an LCD, no worry about burn-in, enjoy!
Old 12-31-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Burn-in is the luminous phosphor coating on the TV wearing out. LCDs have no phosphor, so no burn-in.

Stuck pixels cannot be caused by what you watch. Sometimes they happen, but there's nothing you can do to cause or prevent them.
Old 12-31-05, 08:32 PM

LCDs can suffer from image retention in rare cases caused by crystals that don't "untwist". It is not the same thing as burn-in as in plasmas and is usually not permanent. It can usually be cured if you put a solid white screen on for a few hours.
Old 12-31-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

I glad the instructions are wrong (odd though). It would suck having to strech 2.35:1 films.