DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   LCD Burn-in with 2.35:1? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/450474-lcd-burn-2-35-1-a.html)

cerial442 12-31-05 03:27 AM

LCD Burn-in with 2.35:1?

Hello,

My parents just got a Samsung LCD TV. Of course 1.85:1 films fill the screen.

Although looking through the instructions it said anytime bars are present for more than 2 hours it can cause burn-in. So if I wanted to watch something like Star Wars Episode 3, it would cause burn-in for the TV? I don't want to zoom in on films shot in 2:35.1 widescreen.

Also how does everyone view something that was suppose to be in 4:3? It seems that using 16x9 mode will cut off some of the sides.

Thanks.

OldDude 12-31-05 06:47 AM

LCD really shouldn't have burn-in, where a permanent image is formed. The entire back of the LCD is uniformily illuminated. The LCD twists light selectively between two polarizers to control illumination at color. An image may persist for a little while but should go away in time. I wonder if the whole paragraph isn't a leftover cut&paste from a plasma manual, where the concern is more real.

4:3 material should be "pillar-boxed" with black or gray bars on sides. There are zoom or stretch modes to fill the screen. Zoom chops off part of the picture, and stretch makes people look fat; some stretch functions are better than others, but I dislike them

joshd2012 12-31-05 08:12 AM

LCD doesn't "burn-in". What could happen is that pixels will get "stuck" in that color. To solve, simply unplug the unit for a few minutes.

I have heard of one instance where these pixels wouldn't get unstuck. It was a Sharp unit, and Sharp actually replaced the unit for free and studied the broken unit to find out why it happened. This was some time ago.

SINGLE104 12-31-05 08:31 AM

I've had my 50" Hitachi LCD HDTV for two and half years now, and watched DVDs with the OAR of 2:35.1, 2:40.1 anamorphic all the time, and I've never had a problem with burn in images.

renaldow 12-31-05 10:13 AM

That's odd that their manual says it can get burnt in. The manual on my LCD says it can't.

BobDole42 12-31-05 10:27 AM

the manual for my Sammy LCD says the same thing - I just assumed it is leftover text from a plasma manual.

Anubis2005X 12-31-05 11:22 AM

Yeah, one of the beauties of an LCD, no worry about burn-in, enjoy!

Spiky 12-31-05 01:22 PM

Burn-in is the luminous phosphor coating on the TV wearing out. LCDs have no phosphor, so no burn-in.

Stuck pixels cannot be caused by what you watch. Sometimes they happen, but there's nothing you can do to cause or prevent them.

Anamorphic 12-31-05 08:32 PM

LCDs can suffer from image retention in rare cases caused by crystals that don't "untwist". It is not the same thing as burn-in as in plasmas and is usually not permanent. It can usually be cured if you put a solid white screen on for a few hours.

cerial442 12-31-05 10:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

I glad the instructions are wrong (odd though). It would suck having to strech 2.35:1 films.