Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP: Toshiba component hook-up lead to vertical misalignment in Tosh 46HM95

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splurged over the holiday and got myself a Toshiba 46HM95 on Black Friday. The set is great and Charter's HD channels look amazing.

I originally had a Panasonic DVD player hooked up to the set via S-Video, but that player (coincidentally) died within a week.

So I splurged again and bought a Toshiba SD-4980SU and bought the component cables (not knowing that I might be better off with an HDMI hookup -- would I?). I found the progressive scan to be miserably blurry and soft, so I turned it off, but the alternative is a bit grainy/noisy, especially in the darker scenes. The SD-4980 doesn't have a black-level adjustment.

Aside from not being ultra-impressed with the picture quality of the component hookup, doing a quickie pass of the THX tests on the player revealed that the screen image is now slightly shoved over to the left -- meaning it's not centered.

The old DVD player with the S-Video hookup was perfectly framed and there's no adjustment on the 46HM95 that allows me to adjust the vertical framing of the picture.

And no, I haven't had the set calibrated -- not sure how/where to do that. So think of me as a newbie. But I'm hoping somebody here might know how to help...
Old 12-11-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your TV is a DLP with a native resolution of 720p. To get a good picture you need to use the HDMI output of your DVD player and set it to 720p. I don't know why the picture if off-center. Try the HDMI cable, and if that doesn't work you may want to return the player for another one, unless someone else here has another idea. But the HDMI connection will give you a MUCH better picture.
Old 12-11-05, 06:50 PM

Thanks BobDole (I never thought I'd hear myself saying THAT).

I'll give the HDMI a try. If anyone else has further suggestions, please let me know.

p.s. BobDole--Regarding the HDMI: I have a not-so-new Kenwood receiver, with only one optical input on it. With the HDMI, will I need to rewire it so that the optical cable is coming out of the back of the TV (for 5.1 and the like), and not out of the DVD player?
Old 12-11-05, 09:53 PM

Also--

--is what I'm looking for (in this case) HDMI to HDMI cable? (For the SD-4980SU player to the 46HM95 TV?)

Thanks for any help...
Old 12-12-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

assuming your tv has an HDMI input (I think it does, but double check) you want an HDMI to HDMI cable. Running the optical cable from the tv to the receiver is fine. You can also run the optical cable straight from the DVD player to the receiver, whichever is easier. Once you have the HDMI cable in place, set your player to 720p - you are in for quite a treat!
Old 12-12-05, 09:51 AM

Thank you so much for you help!
Old 12-12-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anytime - enjoy the new TV and DVD player! Let us know how you like it once you have the HDMI cable hooked up.
Old 12-16-05, 02:42 PM

Okay, I've hooked up the HDMI cables, and there's definitely an improvement over the component hookup (bright reds and blues are not SCREAMING off the screen anymore), but I'm still getting a lot of "grain," specifically in the blacks.

Another problem I'm having is with the aspect ratio. The "auto" feature doesn't work for DVD's and DVD's that are "full-frame" (TV shows, Kubrick, etc.) are being stretched to fill the screen, no matter what setting I put the DVD player or TV on.

Would any of you know how to help me with either of these things?
Old 12-16-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

have you set the DVD player to 720p?

As far as the aspect ratio goes, I'm not sure there is a workaround, but a Tosh owner may have an answer for you.