Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD recorder question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD recorder question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD recorder question

I plan to buy a samsung DVDVR 325 to transfer some home movies on videos to dvd, however it only burns to dvd-r and -rw etc. After my copy is finished i would want to use my dvd burner on my computer to make copies for the rest of my family.
Now here's the question. I know my dvd burner on my computer only burns dvd+r and not dvd-R. Now since i am only using the already burned dvd-r to copy to a dvd+r on my computer, will this work?

I don't want to shell out 400 if i cant make copies at ease. I know it's an odd question.
Old 12-16-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not just burn them from the computer to begin with? That will give you more editing options, and since you plan to use it anyway....

But the DVD format shouldn't matter at all. I mean, there can be incompatibilities where some players won't play some burned discs, but copying from one to the other shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 12-16-05, 09:59 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I do the same thing with a Pioneer DVR. You'll be able to copy your movies using software such as Nero. The improvement in converting to +R from the DVR's -R is that some computer's DVD burners can set the booktype of the DVD+R to DVD-ROM which pretty much guarantees compatibility with any player.

If you can't set the booktype with your burner you might as well make multiple copies of the DVD on the DVR since DVD-R is a little more compatible than DVD+R with players. I assume a recorder in the $400 price range has a hard drive and can make multiple copies. My Pioneer easily can.

I use a DVR because it makes better quality copies of my home movies and is much faster and easier to edit on than the PC. The quality is probably improved because I'm not using a digital camera and can't input directly into the computer but must go through a video capture card.
Old 12-16-05, 02:10 PM

I think i need to elaborate a bit more, the home movies are on videocasstte....hence the dvd recorder/vcr combo i want to buy which only copies dvd -r. And my question was to take that dvd -r and make copies of it on my dvd burner on my comp which only burns dvd+R. However since im not trying to burn dvd-R just copy from it. Would that work?
Or should i be going a different route all together?

I would just be pissed if i made a copy but can't make multiple copies with ease on my comp if it couldnt read the dvd-r on the burner. I know it doesnt burn dvd-r's, just want to copy them.

Last edited by Rainet; 12-17-05 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as your DVD+R drive is capable of reading a DVD-R then you would be fine. If not, you can watch and get deals on dual-format DVD burner for the computer for no more than $30-$40 which would give you total flexability.
Old 12-16-05, 06:42 PM

I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. I recently bought my dad an inexpensive Panasonic ES10 and he transferred some VHS tapes to DVD-R for me. I have no problem playing or copying on my DVD+RW drive. Once the DVD-R is finalized it should be playable (and copyable) on any DVD drive I thought.