Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

question about my new plasma tv

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought a 42 inch philips plasma tv, and have two questions.

1)so far, i played two widescreen movies (both 1.85:1 ratio), and there is like an inch or so of black bars on the right and top of the screen, while the bottom and left of the screen go all the way to the edge. these arent there when i watch normal cable, only on dvds. is that to accomodate the apsect ratio of the dvd? im so afraid of burn in that i stopped the movie every 30 minutes or so to watch normal cable, so those two edges of the tv dont get burn in.

2)is it safe to watch 2.35:1 widescreen movies? because those will still have the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, and couldnt they caues burn in if the movie plays for about an hour and a half uninterrupted?

in case you couldn't tell, I'm new to home theatre. I just bought this tv, compoared to my old 27 inch 4:3 tv. i can understand if you want to make fun of these questions, but im just trying to be careful. thanks!
Old 11-29-05, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be very surprised if you got any sort of burn-in after only an hour and half (or even two hours or more hours). Not sure about the odd framing in the first question though...
Old 11-29-05, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really? i thought burn in could occur after only about a half an hour? i read too that the chances for burn in are the greatest during the first 200 hours. how long does it usually take if i have the contrast turned down a bit? thanks!
Old 11-29-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn the contrast down and calibrate the set using Avia or Video Essentials. Your risk of burn-in is practically zero. The majority of people using tvs that are theoretically capable of burn-in (CRT RPTVs and plasma) watch movies, play games, etc. and never have a problem. Honestly, I think most discussion of burn-in is way over-stated. Yeah, if you leave a video game paused for hours every day you will have a problem, but if you have the contrast turned down and just use the set normally you will likely never have an issue with burn-in.

As to the weird screen position, that is definitely not normal. 1.85 aspect ratio dvds should fill the screen (the frame is opened up a bit to match the 16:9 ratio). You should only have black bars on 2.35 movies - and then only on the top and bottom. I would check with Phillips on this.

Congrats on the new set - enjoy!

Last edited by BobDole42; 11-29-05 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
really? i thought burn in could occur after only about a half an hour? i read too that the chances for burn in are the greatest during the first 200 hours. how long does it usually take if i have the contrast turned down a bit? thanks!
That might have been true for the 1st generation of plasmas, we are on the 3rd or 4th now I believe. Fortunately they have improved the tech wrt burn-in as well as the "half-life", which is the other problem you frequently hear people complain about. This doesn't mean you won't get burn in if you aren't careful but as BobDole42 mentions if you treat it right you shouldn't have a problem.