DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What would you do? Home theater setup

Old 11-27-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

What would you do? Home theater setup

Ok, here's the deal.

I am building a house right now. I am having it prewired for HT surround sound stuff (only 5.1, unfortunately).

So my dilemma is this. I have OK JBL stuff. I think the fronts are CF-10s or 15's and the surrounds and center channels are matching JBL stuff.

Now that I have the prewire, I was thinking of ditching floor standing stuff and mounting all the stuff to the prewire (in the ceiling, front and rear). I like the idea of space saving by having speakers off the floor and on the walls is appealing. But, obviously floor standings usually offer more punch.

I'm probably looking at spending less than $1000 if I decide to get a new setup I'm not looking at breaking the bank.

Any one have any suggestions as to what might be the best route to go?
Old 11-27-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I put in walls in my theater and have never missed floor standing speakers. I rely on an SVS subwoofer for "punch".
Old 11-27-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my dedicated theater room, I mounted all speakers to the walls or ceilings. I thought my main fronts would be to high, but it doesn't seem to effect the sound. If I had more room on the wall, I would have likely mounted them lower.

Mine are not built in, but have a built in versitle base/stand that can easily and is designed for wall mounting.
Old 11-27-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I have a 12" MTX sub, so I'm not worried about low frequency punch.

I installed some Energy Take 5's in my ex-gf's house years ago, and I thought they did a pretty good job for the fronts and rear surrounds. I'd like to spend a bit more and get something that's got a bit mor esize and a bit more punch to them.

I like the size of those, but if I had to go a bit bigger to get some better sound quality, I wouldn't mind that. I just don't want these huge monstrosity of speakers that are the focus of people's attention once they walk in.
Old 11-27-05, 06:02 PM

The rear 2/3 should be up above the listener anyway, so I'd mount them up. If you are doing mostly home theater then you should be ok mounting the fronts & center on the wall also.

Why not wire for allon the walls and then only put the rears in initially?
Old 11-27-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

The prewire is all in-ceiling. I have no control over the placement. So, all the speakers will be about ceiling level (about 12-14 feet).

I don't listen to much music on my HT rig. That's what my Ipod and Bose sounddock are for.

I could do the fronts as floors first, but I'd like to buy new gear that all matches. I think my rears as they are now, might be pretty bulky and obtuse to mount them to the wall.
Old 11-27-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you want to go with in-ceiling, make sure you look at those specifically. Standard in-wall speakers generally just face straight out. This works for typical wall placement that is essentially the same as regular speakers, but ceiling placement doesn't match for HT very well. So look for aimable in-ceiling speakers. My bro-in-law says they work great if installed properly. (he installs them)
Old 11-28-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh, I'd never do inwalls. I want regular speakers on mounts that have the capability to swivel to the position I want.
Old 11-28-05, 10:33 AM

check out
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.html
i personally went with their floorstanding M60's, VP150 for my center and M3ti's for my surrounds
their wall mount bracket can tilt up and down and swivel left and right
their customer service is amazing give them a call if you have questions
Old 11-28-05, 12:14 PM

I have floor standing speakers I "built in" to my front wall by creating an enclosure a few inches bigger than the speaker and setting it in there. It's a black wall with black speakers, so it blends in real nice and they still sound great.
Here's a link to some pic's:
http://www.buzzdalf.com/pics

Last edited by buzzdalf; 11-28-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would give these a look

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...page.php?id=26

Not sure what the local pricing would be for them. They would probably be more than $1000 for 5 speakers.

you would use these mounts

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...eacc.php?id=78
Old 11-28-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I've heard Energy speakers before. There's a thread I did recently about the Take 5's. I liked them, but I'd like to step up a bit from there.
Old 11-28-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I've heard Energy speakers before. There's a thread I did recently about the Take 5's. I liked them, but I'd like to step up a bit from there.
They are a step up from the Take 5 system speakers although it might not be a huge step up. I assume you want small speakers that would be mountable.

You might want to also give these a listen Klipsch RB-10

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3994522

Last edited by gcribbs; 11-28-05 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I've been looking at the Kilpsch like that Best Buy carries. Some nice stuff, for sure.
Old 11-28-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I've been looking at the Kilpsch like that Best Buy carries. Some nice stuff, for sure.
I think Best Buy carries the synergy line with the B-2 being the smallest Bookshelf speaker. At 11 lbs it might be bigger than you want for a ceiling mount . The RB-10 is from the reference line and is a bit smaller at 6 lbs.

I might make a cd or two and bring a dvd or two with you and hit some local shops to see which speaker brands sound better to you.

It must be pretty exciting to be getting a new home and a new system
Old 11-29-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe check out SVS' new speakers, due to ship by the end of the year. The one guy who has a pre-production set is raving about them like a lunatic at AVS. (just like SVS sub owners have for years)
Old 11-30-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You could get five of these:

NHT's Absolute Zero

or five of these:

NHT's SB1

or five of these:

NHT's SB2

or five of these:

NHT's SB3

NHT's mini-monitors are pretty damn sweet, but of course you should listen to them yourself. And you can easily buy brackets for your speakers that do not require you to drill a single hole in them (always a plus, imo).

http://www.nhthifi.com/p-hometheater.html

Last edited by B.A.; 11-30-05 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Interesting, thanks for the link, B.A. I'll have to check out some local places to see if they carry NHT stuff.
Old 11-30-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I realize that five SB3's might be pushing it a bit, but five SB2's would definitely fall w/in your budget - and then you would have the money for a good set of brackets. Five identical speakers is ideal anyway.

Good luck w/ the dealer search - that's always an interesting adventure.