Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Half Life 2: Lost Coast

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Half Life 2: Lost Coast

Hello. I have Steam and Half Life 2 installed on my computer at home. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how and where i can download the Lost Coast level??? Do i need to find it via Steam or is it on a website somewhere to download?? Also which folder do i need to put it into???

How big s the download as well???

Anyone played the level.....whats it like...how big is it. Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-09-05, 09:31 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a short level and you need a beast of a system to pull off the HDR. Steam will download it for you.
Old 11-09-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It look to be about 350Meg or so, and says you need a 3.0Ghz, 1Gig Ram, and at least a ATI X800 video card to run it.

Has anyone tried it with a lesser system? Like a 2.8GHz, 512Meg Ram, Radeon 9800 video card?
Old 11-09-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I did read on a forum that you can turn off the HDR on the Lost Coast so that it will be easier on the system you are using. I know that my system would not be able to run it otherwise.

It sounds like a pretty big download for one level. But i love the game so i will give it a try.
Old 11-09-05, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It won't even let you turn on HDR if you system doesn't qualify.

In terms of gameplay, the level itself is "meh." It's really designed as a tech demo. But it's fun enough. There's one puzzle, and my dumb ass had to look up the solution.

What made the download worthwhile for me was the commentary feature. You turn that on, and little speech balloons appear throughout the level. You can go up and activate them, and hear little commentaries on that part of the level. Very cool and interesting. I'd love to see more games implement a similar feature.
Old 11-09-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, ever since Valve had a certain update Half-Life 2 has been having stuttering issues like a mofo. What a pain in the butt, it used to run wonderfully. They seriously need to fix this BS.
Old 11-09-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't bother with Lost Coast. Get Day of Defeat:Source. That game rocks.
Old 11-09-05, 04:44 PM

I just played Lost Coast today on my brothers brand new Alienware Laptop. Its amazingly beautiful. Its just a short level by my god it looks great. (all settings on highest)

I dont know the specs on my bros laptop but there was 00000000 lag and the frame rate was insane. He has a 19" widescreen as well for it so you can change the settings to 16:10 widescreen (ya weird huh).

I just played Counter Strike on in a few hours ago.... unbelievable. The widescreen even adds a bit of extra for you to see on both sides, a great advantage, if having a computer with absoultely no draw in or chugging wasnt enough of one lol.

BTW everyone go buy an Alienware.... so you can play Lost Coast

Getting back on topic though, the level is just more of a tech demo, eye candy if you will. Its very lacking as far as gameplay, took 5 minutes to beat. (Yeah groucho, took my bout a few minutes to go, ooohhhhh, shove something into the machine!)

Last edited by The Delfonics; 11-09-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What model laptop did your bother get? How much was it?
Old 11-10-05, 03:23 PM

HEre are his specs. They arent the best you can get but it was a pretty good price.

I think the model is MJ12, only thing on the spec sheet that looked like one.

Area 51 Gray 18" widescreen display
P4 3.4 GHZ 1MB 800FSB LGA775 processor
Samsung 512 MB DDR2 PC4200
Nvidia DDR3 6800FXGO with 256MB module Graphics accelerator

These are some of the basic specs. Cost 2,700 which isnt too bad considering what that would have gotten you 2 years ago. It took 2 weeks to build and ship the damn thing which was hella annoying. Its a laptop that runs insanely better than a PC. Its a big sucker too. Just came in last week and everything runs so well on it. I played Counter Strike on the highest detail settings all the way across the board and no FPS drop. He bought the thing just for World of Warcraft but I love playing other stuff on it whens hes doing other things.
Old 11-10-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Delfonics
HEre are his specs. They arent the best you can get but it was a pretty good price.

I think the model is MJ12, only thing on the spec sheet that looked like one.

Area 51 Gray 18" widescreen display
P4 3.4 GHZ 1MB 800FSB LGA775 processor
Samsung 512 MB DDR2 PC4200
Nvidia DDR3 6800FXGO with 256MB module Graphics accelerator

These are some of the basic specs. Cost 2,700 which isnt too bad considering what that would have gotten you 2 years ago. It took 2 weeks to build and ship the damn thing which was hella annoying. Its a laptop that runs insanely better than a PC. Its a big sucker too. Just came in last week and everything runs so well on it. I played Counter Strike on the highest detail settings all the way across the board and no FPS drop. He bought the thing just for World of Warcraft but I love playing other stuff on it whens hes doing other things.
Runs better than a PC? No

Runs better than YOUR PC? Sounds like it.