Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 01:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Nip/Tuck - "Ben White" - 11/01

"Ben White"
Spoiler:
Christian has some ethical concerns about a patient's extreme surgical request; Sean uses his skills on a mother and her son in the Witness Protection Program; Julia, Gina and Liz manufacture a new signature product.
Old 11-01-05, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week was a pretty disappointing episode, so I am hoping this one is more enjoyable.
Old 11-01-05, 09:20 PM

Location: Sacremende (by way of the worst place on Earth: cincinnati, ky)
From the son sponsored age defying treatment to the imagined self amputation of Phlox, I thought this show couldn't get more gross. Ack.
Old 11-01-05, 10:14 PM

Good one
Old 11-01-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I question not showing us the monster Ryan Murphy is hanging over our heads (the carver) during the two episodes closest to Halloween.

Beyond that, I think the show finally hit my squeamish limit with the leg.

I don't like this episode very much right now. That may change as we get farther down the path, but it wasn't pleasant viewing if you ask me.
Old 11-01-05, 10:35 PM

I thought this episode was pretty boring. I don't know, it was just missing something. The scene with Christian and Kimber was nice though.
Old 11-01-05, 11:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
They did the limb disorder on CSI:NY last year.

This seemed like a filler episode and an excuse to squeeze some guest stars in.
Old 11-02-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I knew 15 minutes into this episode that it was going to be really messed up, and they didn't let me know. Just when I think the writers on this show couldn't ick me out, they did. That whole sequence with freezing the leg and cutting/twisting was just ick. Then again, Joan Rivers also gave me the ick, but for purely cosmetic reasons.
Old 11-02-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Heavy ick factor, but good nonetheless. The scenes between Christian and Kimber were very well done.

Spoiler:
I've kind of had enough of the Sean getting emotionally attached to his patients though like with the breast cancer chick in S1
Old 11-02-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
BTW - what happened to Thomas Calabro's career. He was one of the biggest stars on televison a decade ago, and now he is reduced to a bit part (playing a doctor no less) off network television.
Old 11-02-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't quite catch why the guy wanted his leg amputated. Can somebody fill me in?
Old 11-02-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
He was crazy. There is a mental defect where people feel they are amputees living in a normals body.
Old 11-02-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrX

This seemed like a filler episode and an excuse to squeeze some guest stars in.
So that is a real disorder? I didnt quite get what it was and I rolled my dvr back twice.
Severed legs, semen cream and Joan Rivers. Can't get any grosser than that. And still no mention of our slashed cop?

I didn't care for the episode too much.

BTW - what happened to Thomas Calabro's career. He was one of the biggest stars on televison a decade ago, and now he is reduced to a bit part (playing a doctor no less) off network television.
I think Teri Hatcher was quoted as saying that before she got Desperate Housewives, no one would return her calls. I think Hollywood has a short attention span when it comes to TV stars that no longer have series. Maybe he is just known as that guy from Melrose Place.

From Entertainment weekly:
Nip/Tuck': Is there something missing?
Editor1 [4:05 P.M.]: do you watch nip/tuck?
Editor2 [4:05 P.M.]: no, why? what happened this week?
Editor1 [4:06 P.M.]: where do i begin?
Editor2 [4:07 P.M.]: oh oh
Editor1 [4:07 P.M.]: this guy wants them to remove his leg bc he wants to be an amputee
Editor2 [4:07 P.M.]: who doesn't want that though?
Editor1 [4:09 P.M.]: another woman says her secret to younger-looking skin is her son's semen. so these ladies come up with a cream made from sperm bank leftovers and somehow joan rivers gets involved!
Editor2 [4:09 P.M.]: i just threw up a little in my mouth
Editor1 [4:09 P.M.]: i know!
Editor2 [4:10 P.M.]: didn't they say cleopatra did that too?
Editor2 [4:11 P.M.]: (she did have beautiful skin)
Editor1 [4:11 P.M.]: anne heche has on the worst prosthetic face in the history of television -- only her mouth moves
Editor2 [4:12 P.M.]: why is her face prosthetic?
Editor1 [4:13 P.M.]: bc she's in the witness protection program, so she has to look totally different so she can look like anne heche later...
Editor2 [4:13 P.M.]: ah
Editor1 [4:14 P.M.]: dr. whatshisname left the practice and is now working with the fbi or cia and doing surgery on people in the witness protection program
Editor2 [4:16 P.M.]: which dr. whatshisname? the one who is married or the one who has sex with everyone?
Editor1 [4:17 P.M.]:the one who is married
Editor2 [4:17 P.M.]: ok
Editor1 [4:19 P.M.]: the one who has sex with everyone proposed to his girlfriend bc after the guy who wanted to have his leg removed shot it so they would have to amputate, the doctor realized that his girlfriend made him complete....
Editor2 [4:19 P.M.]: aw
Editor2 [4:20 P.M.]: every time i watch it, i think: they DO that? i would totally have that procedure done, but then of course it turns out not to be real
Editor1 [4:21 P.M.]: shut up! you want your leg removed?
Editor2 [4:22 P.M.]: LOL, no! I mean the cosmetic procedures -- back in the tender days of nip/tuck, when it wasn't always about hacking off an extremity
Editor1 [4:24 P.M.]: the most sensational thing they could do on that show now is a basic rhinoplasty or boob job. that is the only thing that would really surprise viewers!
Editor1 [4:25 P.M.]: it's so off the charts now
Editor2 [4:25 P.M.]: your head is going to explode. you're so off the charts talking about it. can i get you a cardizem?
Editor1 [4:26 P.M.]: yes, please
Editor2 [4:27 P.M.]: i will edit this to make me look cooler and then post it

Last edited by riley_dude; 11-02-05 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So that is a real disorder? I didnt quite get what it was and I rolled my dvr back twice.
Body Integrity Identity Disorder. I'd never heard of it before, but I did a Google search on it after last week's preview.

Good episode. The part about the woman putting her sons' semen on her face freaked me out a lot more than anything regarding the leg.

Nice blast from the past, having Joan Rivers mention Heidi Abromowitz.

Rob
Old 11-03-05, 10:48 AM

I dunno. The whole face cream stuff had me thinking "Jump the shark" the whole time.

Anyone else?
Old 11-03-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno. The whole face cream stuff had me thinking "Jump the shark" the whole time.
It had me thinking, should I try it?

The whole episode seemed to go a bit too far but the thing I posted below from EW thought the same thing.
Old 11-04-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Somehow I just can't picture the woman who would willingly purchase a "beauty product" personally endorsed by Joan Rivers.
Old 11-04-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I can't stand her appearances on this show. It just seems so awkward when she shows up on there and spews her tired jokes.
Old 11-04-05, 11:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
I wish they'd focus on Sean and Christian. The whole "Desigining Women" subplot does nothing for me.

Thos.
Old 11-04-05, 11:04 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I don't watch CSI, but I know I've seen this somewhere before. I was actually wondering if they had done it on Nip/Tuck before since it seemed so familiar.

I'm suprised by all the negative comments. This was the first episode this year I really liked. I haven't been liking the plotlines much lately, but I found all 3 of these interesting. The only thing annoying about the face cream storyline is the fact that we know it's going to go bad eventually. Julia and Gina's whining is annoying enough normally, but it's going to be really bad when their life is "ruined" by the scandal.
Old 11-04-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thos19
I wish they'd focus on Sean and Christian. The whole "Desigining Women" subplot does nothing for me.

Thos.
Hey, at least it's not Matt!

I keep waiting and wating for them to give Roma Maffia a nice, juicy subplot. She's way more interesting than Matt or Julia.