TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC signs actor Leguizamo as new 'ER' doctor to replace Noah Wylie

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC signs actor Leguizamo as new 'ER' doctor to replace Noah Wylie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050831/en_nm/er_dc

Tue Aug 30, 9:13 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor-comedian John Leguizamo will join the team of TV doctors saving lives on NBC's hit hospital drama "ER" when the veteran show returns this fall for its 12th season, the network said on Tuesday.

The Colombian-born performer has signed on initially to appear in 12 episodes of "ER," starting as a recurring character rather than as a series regular, an NBC spokesman said.

But the Web site of TV Guide magazine reported Leguizamo, 41, was tapped to fill the shoes of former "ER" star Noah Wyle, who played Dr. John Carter and left the show last season. Wyle was the last original cast regular to have remained on the series since its 1994 debut.

The Emmy-winning show was NBC's top-rated drama last season, averaging nearly 15.5 million viewers a week.

There were no immediate details about Leguizamo's "ER" role other than he will play a physician. But it marks his biggest move into series television since he produced and starred in the Fox sketch comedy show "House of Buggin" for one season in 1995.

Leguizamo, who immigrated to New York City with his family as a young boy, is a prolific actor and comedian who earned numerous awards for his 1990s stage shows "Mambo Mouth" and "Spic-O-Rama, as well as two Tony nominations for his one-man Broadway debut "Freak."

On the big screen, he starred in last year's thriller "Cronicas" as a TV reporter sent to Ecuador in pursuit of a serial killer. His film credits also include "Hangin' with the Homeboys," "Carlito's Way," "Summer of Sam" and "Moulin Rouge!"

NBC announced recently that actress Kristen Johnston, best known as the leggy, blonde alien Sally on "3rd Rock from the Sun," has signed a six-episode deal to play a doctor on "ER" this coming season.

Reuters/VNU

He is an interesting choice!

Chris
Old 08-31-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if you should've spoilerized the title...but in other ER news...3rd Rock From the Sun's Kristen Johnston joined the cast and Sherry Stringfield quit - again.
Old 08-31-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I already gave up on ER the season before last, and this news really isn't giving me much inspiration to give it a second chance.
Old 08-31-05, 01:57 PM

That is an interesting choice. I never would have pegged Leguizamo as Noah's replacement.
Originally Posted by Rogue588
...in other ER news...3rd Rock From the Sun's Kristen Johnston joined the cast....
You didn't quite make it thru that first post, huh?
Old 08-31-05, 02:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
This was the role that was supposed to go to John Stamos when it looked liked ABC wasn't going to renew Jake In Progress.
Old 08-31-05, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Not sure if you should've spoilerized the title...but in other ER news...3rd Rock From the Sun's Kristen Johnston joined the cast and Sherry Stringfield quit - again.
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to me today. I spoilerized the 'Deadwood' thread news.

Maybe it's because this show has been on for 12 years now and I thought no one would care.

Sorry!

Chris
Old 08-31-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When did Stringfield quit?
Old 08-31-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
tvguide.com reported it on August 3rd..

CHECKING OUT: It's 1997 all over again. ER star Sherry Stringfield, who famously bolted County General in '97 only to return with her tail between her legs four years later, has once again decided to quit the hospital drama in search of those elusive greener pastures. "I am extremely grateful for the time I spent on ER," she said in a statement. "It is a wonderful show, and there are so many people I will miss. But I'm ready for new roles and new challenges." It's not clear how her Dr. Susan Lewis character will be written out —or, for that matter, back in when Stringfield returns in 2009.
Old 08-31-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why the fuck don't they just bring back Gallant?
Old 08-31-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Amen to that. His show was cancelled, and he appeared on one episode after leaving, bring him back already.

I like the casting news, should be interesting, seeing some actual doctors over the age of 24 in the E.R. again.
Old 08-31-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
This was the role that was supposed to go to John Stamos when it looked liked ABC wasn't going to renew Jake In Progress.
Stamos should have asked ABC to cancel his show just so he could take the role on ER.
Old 08-31-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
shit, get Neil Patrick Harris on here.
Old 09-01-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Agree with Gallant...hell, bring back Don Cheadle.
Old 09-01-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leguizamo? There went any chance of me coming back to watch the show again.
Old 09-01-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Count me as one of those who lost interest long ago, and with this announcement am glad I stopped watching. They should have at least ended it when Noah left.. Not that I really followed it for ages, so things could be different than my outsiders view, but it could have been his story through the whole ER run.
Old 09-01-05, 12:27 PM

The end is in sight, ER fans.
Old 09-01-05, 01:50 PM

May want to get your eyes checked, methinks you may be a tad near-sighted there
Much as I love(d?) ER, even I gotta admit "the end" has been looming for a good while now.

Not one to follow entertainment news, so never knew about the John Stamos plans. But at least I can follow the logic of that casting decision. Leguizamo (whom I'm a fan of) just seems out of left field IMHO.
Originally Posted by Kal-El
Why the fuck don't they just bring back Gallant?
Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-01-05, 02:31 PM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts
In my world, Ramono still has his arm and his life.

That's how long ago I stopped watching.
Old 09-01-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by the action
The end is in sight, ER fans.
15.5 million viewers that tune in every week may disagree with you. Of course those numbers are from last year. We will see. It is one of those shows that is still good and shows moments of brilliance, but not anywhere near what it was in its prime.