Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Aviator and Million Dollary Baby HK DTS quality?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-05, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have these? I'm wondering how the picture quality is of each dvd. I'd prefer to order them from HK since there is DTS on both.
Old 08-29-05, 03:25 PM
Banned

The Aviator is split across 2 DVD's...and it's full bitrate
Old 08-29-05, 03:28 PM

But is the picture quality ok? Often HK discs are of less picture quality than US or Japanese ones.
Old 08-29-05, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
But is the picture quality ok? Often HK discs are of less picture quality than US or Japanese ones.
No idea. i didn't bother with it because i gave up switching with laserdiscs.

Oh and i have a few HK discs but no problem with the PQ. But then again, haven't watched all of them recently.

What I do know is that not all of them have genuine DTS. Just because it says DTS doesn't mean that it really is. Good rule of thumb is to only buy the discs that are manufactured by the parent company or one that is reliable for not re-encoding dd5.1 tracks.
Old 08-29-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Same picture quality as the US releases. The dts tracks are from different mixes and sound a lot better than the Dolby tracks.

As for disc switching...I can deal with it if it means a better picture.
Old 08-29-05, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emachine12
Same picture quality as the US releases. The dts tracks are from different mixes and sound a lot better than the Dolby tracks.

As for disc switching...I can deal with it if it means a better picture.
Umm...you just said "same picture quality" so obviously that's not the case here.
Old 08-30-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Umm...you just said "same picture quality" so obviously that's not the case here.
"If it means a better picture ..." than trying to stuff it all on one disc with a larger soundtrack. Capiche?
Old 09-01-05, 11:37 AM

i thought The Aviator was a 3 disc set from what i saw in Pacific Mall. video quality and bonus features are more or less the same as the North American version. it's usually manufactured by the parent company, only reproduced and distributed by the local distributors in Hong Kong. that is the case with Columbia, Paramount, Universal Pictures' movies. Miramax, however, is usually handled several different companies including Deltamac, Panorama (such as the case for Sin City), and sometimes even Universe Laser & Video as they've handled Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2).

Usually, Warner Brothers handles their own DVD's in Hong Kong. I do not understand why they didn't deal with Million Dollar Baby. from what i understand, it was released by Megastar/Media Asia Films in Hong Kong. Megastar's releases are usually very top notch. So it should be handled well.
Old 09-01-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Million Dollar Baby's quality is not as good as the R1 release. I've compared the two...on my screen I saw a difference.