Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD or Plasma Tv

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 10:32 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD or Plasma Tv

hello, i am looking to buy a new tv( 32'- 42') but wanted to find out which is better, also which is cheaper or will become cheaper soon. i assume both are HDTV compatible. Does it matter to buy a lcd tv from a reputable brand name like sony or JVC or it does not matter because i have heard that except for the exterior they are are same (interior), thanks
Old 03-28-05, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't really speak to your last question since I'm a brandname person myself (so I don't want to think about the possibilities ) so of course I think you're always better w/ a reputable/brand name but I could just be buying into the myth.

Having just gone through the process myself (I ended up w/ the 37" Sony plasma) I found regarding the plasma v. LCD debate each has it's upsides and downsides. Generally speaking the plasmas are going to give you a better picture but are pricier and more succeptible to "burn in". There is also supposedly an issue w/ the "half-life" of the display (that is the material essentially burning itself out and the brightness decreasing) but that is also supposed to have gotten better w/ the latest generation. Personally I found LCDs to be more washed out and effected by room brightness/lights more than the plasmas. There is also, as I understand it, the issue w/ "blown pixels", similar to what you see on laptop screens. However on the plus side they are generally less expensive and you don't have the "half life" problem. If you can wait until later in the year the new models should be coming out soon, this will either give you the lastest generation of each technology to choose from or give you the chance to pick up last year's a little cheaper
Old 03-28-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Without getting into price, burn-in or longevity issues I own a two year old 42" Samsung plasma, and friends own a larger LCD they bought last fall. From the picture quality they wish they had bought a plasma.
Old 03-28-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Plasma is going to reproduce blacks and bright colors like reds better. It's also more prone to burn in, but you can easily control that problem. I'd go with Plasma, although LCD prices seem to be falling faster.
Old 03-28-05, 02:00 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks guys for the assistance, looks like i need to do alot more research, because some of the terminology you guys are talking about i cannot understand.
Old 03-28-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which terminology? Does the FAQ at the top of this section help with any of it?