Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Holy Fnurking Schnit! Fable coming out on PC!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03...ml?tag=nl.e579

I don't know if people are as excited about this as I am, but I thought the original was a top game that would have been even better on the PC. We'll get new levels deeper storyline, and updated graphics. Can't wait.

Last edited by fmian; 03-16-05 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-16-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
From http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03...ml?tag=nl.e579

I don't know if people are as excited about this as I am, but I thought the original was a top game that would have been even better on the PC. We'll get new levels deeper storyline, and updated graphics. Can't wait.

not really, the xbox version is awesome. the only reason i would even think of getting a pc game is because of the added content. nice though that all those anti-xboxers will finally be able to play the game all be it late and outdated, but still cool none the less. same as halo i guess.
Old 03-16-05, 07:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They'd have to change quite a bit before I'd buy this one again.
Old 03-16-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
not really, the xbox version is awesome. the only reason i would even think of getting a pc game is because of the added content. nice though that all those anti-xboxers will finally be able to play the game all be it late and outdated, but still cool none the less. same as halo i guess.

On the contrary, I don't think it will be outdatedat all, it came not even 6 months ago. The new version will certainly feature better resolution and control. I doubt I'll buy an updated version though.

I always felt the game would make a better PC game then console playing. Perhaps they will get all the features in they originally promised the game to have.
Old 03-16-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I loved Fable, so I'll be all over this when it comes out.
Old 03-16-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Having played and completed the Xbox version, I think this game would be better suited on a PC. The mouse/keyboard combo would make the interaction better.
I loved the various environments and overall dark-style atmosphere of this game. The music/score helped get into character.
I wish the game had more creatures,levels, and specialty items to discover (weapons, potions, etc.) which I think is it's only drawback.
Old 03-16-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, i read this a week or two ago and didn't bother posting it since no one cares about PC games here I'm glad, i can't wait to play it. I read there's significantly more content as well, as much as 1/3 more then on the XBox.
Old 03-16-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
They'd have to change quite a bit before I'd buy this one again.
I'd only buy Fable for the PC if it was the Fable they promised for the XBOX, not the Fable they delievered.
Old 03-16-05, 01:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I'd only buy Fable for the PC if it was the Fable they promised for the XBOX, not the Fable they delievered.
And it doesn't sound like it is. It just sounds like more areas, weapons, etc. Which is great, but it doesn't address the real problems of the game.

I do hope they make the final encounter a lot harder. By the time I got to it, I hadn't done everything in the game and found it a snap. Imagine how easy it would have been with 33% more gear and skills.
Old 03-16-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I hadn't heard any buzz surrounding the game before it was released. What exactly did they promise and not deliver on?
Old 03-16-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fable is the first game that I paid full MSRP for in 3 years. This announcement ensures that I'll never make another stupid mistake like that again
Old 03-16-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Just look at Fable's original name: Project Ego. Molyneux hyped it up so much that it was almost impossible to live up to (though after Black and White, people should've expected it), not to mention that it was delayed so often. For some of the many promises he made, just look up "Molyneux" and "Fable" on any search engine and see the interviews he did before the game came out.

It was supposed to be this epic RPG, where you could literally do almost anything: be good or evil, get scars from not healing wounds fast enough, have smart enemies that learn how you fight, have a complex yet easy-to-learn combat system that allowed you to learn moves from your enemies, and cutting edge graphics. We got some of it, but the storyline was pretty linear, the game was too short (I finished it and sold it in a matter of days), and the good/evil system had already been done far better in KOTOR. It's not a bad game, per se, but definitely not worth all the hype it got, and surely wasn't the system seller Microsoft had hoped it would be.

Here's lionhead's message board with a message from Peter Molyneux after Fable was released (I believe this is legit, but someone can feel free to correct me):
http://allboards.lionhead.com/showthread.php?t=83152

There is something I have to say. And I have to say it because I love making games. When a game is in development, myself and the development teams I work with constantly encourage each other to think of the best features and the most ground-breaking design possible.

However, what happens is that we strive to include absolutely everything we've ever dreamt of and, in my enthusiasm, I talk about it to anyone who'll listen, mainly in press interviews. When I tell people about what we're planning, I'm telling the truth, and people, of course, expect to see all the features I've mentioned. And when some of the most ambitious ideas get altered, redesigned or even dropped, people rightly want to know what happened to them.

If I have mentioned any feature in the past which, for whatever reason, didn't make it as I described into Fable, I apologise. Every feature I have ever talked about WAS in development, but not all made it. Often the reason is that the feature did not make sense. For example, three years ago I talked about trees growing as time past. The team did code this but it took so much processor time (15%) that the feature was not worth leaving in. That 15 % was much better spent on effects and combat. So nothing I said was groundless hype, but people expecting specific features which couldn't be included were of course disappointed. If that's you, I apologise. All I can say is that Fable is the best game we could possibly make, and that people really seem to love it.

I have come to realise that I should not talk about features too early so I am considering not talking about games as early as I do. This will mean that the Lionhead games will not be known about as early as they are, but I think this is the more industry standard.

Our job as the Lionhead family of studios is to be as ambitious as we possibly can. But although we jump up and down in glee about the fabulous concepts and features we're working on, I will not mention them to the outside world until we've implemented and tested them, and they are a reality.

Thank you for reading.

Peter.
Old 03-16-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
By the way, with Fable now coming to PC: besides Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden and DOA series, doesn't that make all Xbox-"exclusive" hits computer games now? Halo (soon Halo 2), KOTOR, Splinter Cell, Riddick, any others?
Old 03-17-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The aging in the game was absurd. You age way too fast, and choosing to grow up? Whose bright idea was that? I went from this ripped up 20 year old to a balding older guy in a very short amount of time, and I never even used magic at all. And I was pale as crap because apparently my guy won't tan with armor on or something. I'm supposed to walk around on the beach in my skivvies just so my guy doesn't look like Casper?

I had fun with the game, but after all the hype I couldn't help but be very disappointed.
Old 03-17-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
By the way, with Fable now coming to PC: besides Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden and DOA series, doesn't that make all Xbox-"exclusive" hits computer games now? Halo (soon Halo 2), KOTOR, Splinter Cell, Riddick, any others?

if you've seen a real life statement from microsoft or bungie that halo 2 will be on pc i want a link. it was the exact opp of that at e3. anyhow like i said before the only reason i'd buy a pc version of this or any console game is for the extra content they put in. beside there will probably be a new version of the game for xbox 2 that will probably be what they wanted to release to start with. that seems how halo 2 is. anyway i wanna know when we get pong for the xbox that would rule it would put topspin to shame.
Old 03-17-05, 10:50 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fable flat out sucks. I got the game on Xbox and I was extremely excited...till I started playing it. This is one of the few games that I have played that I had absolutely ZERO fun playing. It is not at all like you think it will be. But...hey....some ppl like it.

wlj
Old 03-17-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
ISn't it "Flurking Schnit"?
Old 03-18-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
I hadn't heard any buzz surrounding the game before it was released. What exactly did they promise and not deliver on?
lol, that is the most amazing piece of humor i've read today
Old 03-18-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The aging in the game was absurd. You age way too fast, and choosing to grow up? Whose bright idea was that? I went from this ripped up 20 year old to a balding older guy in a very short amount of time, and I never even used magic at all.
The aging system was the single biggest example of bad design. You didn't age from using magic... you aged every time you used your experience points to level up (depending on how many areas you leveled up). At the end of the game I was this 60-year-old guy who the enemies still called "boy"... meanwhile, no NPCs, including your sister, aged a day.