Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Great article on the "Myth of Media Violence"

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-18-05, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salon.com has a great article on media violence. It is one of the more level-headed articles I've seen on the subject (most are extreme to one side or another). You can view the article for free but I think you have to watch an ad first (I'm a big fan of Salon so I am a member but I don't expect everyone to be).

Myth of Media Violence

Here is the closing paragraph (but the rest of the article talks about misused and poor data to push politician's agenda or image):

Originally Posted by Salon.com
Ultimately, we can't protect our kids from being frightened or unsettled by things they will inevitably encounter, whether while reading Dostoevsky or playing the latest zombie-splattering incarnation of "Resident Evil." We can't stop them from forging their own culture out of fragments and shards they collect along the way, a culture specifically intended to confuse and alienate us. But I think Jones is right: Most of us don't have to worry about breeding little homicidal maniacs. What's far more plausible, and more dangerous, is that we'll raise a pack of sedentary, cynical little button-pushing consumption monsters who never go outside. Now that's scary.
Old 03-18-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's long, but I will check it out later.
Old 03-18-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
ack. it's a members only site. can you post the whole article?
Old 03-18-05, 05:51 PM
Banned

Violence in movies, music, television and video games does not breed homicidal psychopaths... it only gives homicidal psychopaths ideas on how to do things they were already going to do.

If GTA is responsible for one kid going on a rampage, how does that reflect on the other couple million kids who played it and don't go pyscho?
Old 03-18-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 363 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
ack. it's a members only site. can you post the whole article?
Just watch the short ad, and click on the link to go to salon
Old 03-18-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by gp98
What's far more plausible, and more dangerous, is that we'll raise a pack of sedentary, cynical little button-pushing consumption monsters who never go outside. Now that's scary.
I was a very active teen and I went on to do many different activities throughout my 20s (srufing, biking, guitar, dating, traveling and more), but since I've hit 30, the above quote describes me to a T.