Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

KOTOR II, do I need to play the first one first?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a new computer and mostly play 1st person shooters. I heard good things about KOTOR II so I bought it before reading reviews for a change of pace. Now that I have it, I see some reviews saying there is a fair amount of things going on in this game that you would only get if you played the first one. Should I go out and get KOTOR I before I play the 2nd one?
Old 02-20-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's not required reading...but wouldn't hurt to give you a better grasp on a lot of the things talked about in the second.
Old 02-20-05, 09:37 AM

Yes, a lot of time was spent talking about certain characters from the first game, while you could get away with not having played the first a large chunk of the beginning and bit in the middle conversations would mean squat to you. Besides IMO KOTOR had a much more coherant story then KOTOR2, which had random things happen that never get explained and way too many fetch quests.
Old 02-20-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No . . .

But IMHO the first one is not only a better game, it gives you alot of background story material about locations and characters. Since the first one is at a low price now you should get it anyway.
Old 02-20-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you should. Why wouldn't you? If it's because of graphics, both games use the same game engine.
Old 02-20-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I'm I the only one here who generally enjoys KOTOR II but feels it's damn tedious compared to KOTOR I? KOTOR I may spoil you when you go back to KOTOR II.
Old 02-20-05, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm I the only one here who generally enjoys KOTOR II but feels it's damn tedious compared to KOTOR I? KOTOR I may spoil you when you go back to KOTOR II.

I agree completely, which is the biggest reason I say the first needs to be played, not as many fetch quests and level design felt natural, not like a dungeon that nobody lives in.