Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1990 a STELLAR year for actor JASON ALEXANDER

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though the pilot for The Seinfeld Chronicles was shot and premiered in 1989, the series Seinfeld didn't start until 1990. Alexander was the supporting character George (like I had to let you know that).

1990 was also the year he featured in Jacob's Ladder, a Tim Robbins vehicle, a film that may have tanked at the box office, but stands today as a pretty good movie; and also the year he had a supporting and pivotal role in Pretty Woman opposite Richard Gere.

The latter film, and to lesser degrees, the former, cast Alexander in a serious manner and is nothing like the George Costanza role he would adapt for the Seinfeld series. To me, Alexander made "Pretty Woman," with a little help from Julia Roberts and Gere, and broadcast the superb talent that Jason Alexander had but seemed to have lost in the long run of the Seinfeld show.

In a way, 1990 was the beginning of the end of Jason Alexander. We saw him as a ruthless and manulative lawyer in Pretty Woman; as an indifferent and angry, down on his luck lawyer in Jacob's Ladder; and as the neurotic, lackluster slacker (yet somehow jovial and carefree) George in Seinfeld.

1990 was a great year for George, uh, I mean, Jason. I don't think anybody could ask for one great year like that and have it come to terms like it did for him.
Old 02-13-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok.
Old 02-13-05, 05:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes, after Pretty Woman everybody was all abuzz about Jason Alexander. That's why Julia Whatshername is now on a crappy sitcom nobody watches, and Alexander is on the cover of this week's People with his kids.
Old 02-13-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seinfeld was huge, and Alexander has probably made more money from that then most actors could even dream about. Plus, he's got a lifetime supply of KFC.

While he can't compete with Julia Roberts, he surely did well for a short bald man. I doubt he's complaining.

Anyway, I'll add 1994 was a great year for Jim Carrey, 1993 was a great year for Steven Spielberg, and 2002 was a really shitty year for me.
Old 02-13-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Granted it has been a while since I've seen either movie, but I only barely remembered Jason Alexander being in Pretty Woman and I didn't remember him being in Jacob's Ladder at all.
Old 02-13-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He was in Jacob's Ladder? All I remember about that movie was Tim Robbins being in an ice-filled tub and there was a decent-looking woman showing off her tatas.
Old 02-13-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Anyway, I'll add 1994 was a great year for Jim Carrey...
I always thought that too. I remember that year:
-Ace Ventura
-The Mask
-Dumb & Dumber

Everybody had Carrey-Fever.

Last edited by MasterCXtreme; 02-13-05 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-13-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No doubt. In one year, he went from the white guy on In Living Color to one of the highest paid comedian/movie stars around with two 100 million dollar smashes and a third film that was close to it. Pretty impressive, and considering how damn funny those films were, very deserving.