Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Saw'

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 02:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'Saw'

I read Preston Jones's DVD review of Saw at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14366 and...it seems overall to warrant more than a "Rent It" rating.

You seemed to glow about packaging, picture, audio, and happy about the included extras. Your movie review itself wasn't that bad, citing that perhaps it fell apart towards the last few minutes and maybe some less backstory, but didn't seem like a hash of all other horror movies that have past.

But, reviews aren't solely based on the movie itself and should take all factors into consideration, no? So why such a dismal rating?

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-07-05 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went back and forth over what to assign as my final judgment; the final twist is enough to really bring the whole film down (in my opinion) but the rest of the package is put together well enough that it distracts a little bit from this stylish but ultimately hollow flick - but upon even further reflection, I realize that my "Rent It" was indeed a bit low, so I've kicked it up to "Recommended."

Last edited by soonercineaste; 02-07-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by soonercineaste
I went back and forth over what to assign as my final judgement; the final twist is enough to really bring the whole film down (in my opinion) but the rest of the package is put together well enough that it distracts a little bit from this stylish but ultimately hollow flick - but upon even further reflection, I realize that my "Rent It" was indeed a bit low, so I've kicked it up to "Recommended."
wow! the power of the people!! does changing recommendation ratings happen often? not just for you Preston, but other DVD Talk Reviewers...that is an interesting question...
now my question is this...will there be an "Unrated" edition in the future? or was that never the case with this movie?
i am a sucker for packaging and never saw it so if i can find it for a decent price than maybe...i'll recommned myself to purchase it.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-07-05 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hey, we live to serve. No, I was seriously on the fence enough that I was more or less waiting for something to push me over (which could be perceived as critically shaky, but I stand by the content of my review and didn't change word one). I don't know that changing ratings happens all that often (I know this is a first for me) ... I doubt it.
There aren't any plans at this time to release an unrated "Saw" ... from what I could gather, only about 8 seconds of footage were trimmed to get the R rating so not all that much is missing.
It's definitely some sweet packaging.
Old 02-07-05, 05:16 PM

It's definitely some sweet packaging.
you say it comes with a slipcase? it is clear on the front to show through to the DVD? i didn't quite understand the description. Any pics per chance? That would be sweet.

Either way, good review and sounds like a blind buy for me. Is it blind if you know a little about it from a review? guess not...
Old 02-07-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No, no pics unfortunately.
It's a clear plastic slipcase that's allows for a completely clear view of the DVD case itself; the DVD case is also clear plastic, which lets you see the blade-like DVD. The slipcase is similar to that of the Criterion "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas."
Old 02-07-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I kinda had the same thoughts about the movie. Some parts were really good but other parts just seemed silly.

I wasn't sure about picking it up but the packaging has sealed the deal. God, I'm such a sucker...
Old 02-07-05, 06:27 PM

now...one reviewer (HT Forum) mentions that 2 minutes were cut from an NC-17 version, what gives? anyone know...
Old 02-07-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I stand corrected ... it is 2 minutes (I checked again ... dunno where my source pulled 8 secs. from).
Old 02-07-05, 07:05 PM

I stand corrected ... it is 2 minutes (I checked again ... dunno where my source pulled 8 secs. from).
thus, probably another release down the line...when will it end?
Old 02-07-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keep in mind, people, that Rent It isn't a "dismal" rating per se. There are some discs that function best as a rental and that's what most reviewers try to use the rating to suggest.
Old 02-08-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 8 second news came from the cut and uncut UK dvd releases only being 8 seconds longer or shorter than the other. The cut version is labled on the BBFC website sa Saw:R rated(meaning the U.S version).

The 2 minute theories came from the R rated version being reported as 100 minutes,while the uncut UK version was 102 minutes.

So the best way to tell if it is 2 minutes,or 8 seconds cut. What is the exact running time at the very end credits for the R rated U.S dvd? Please check if you still have the dvd and let us know what it comes up as.
Old 02-08-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
for some reason I am interested in picking up this movie (could be the packaging! ), can anyone who has seen the movie list possibly it's strengths and weaknesses as a movie real quick?

thanks!
Old 02-08-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quick check of the total run time: 1 h 43 m ... so I guess that makes it the uncut UK version (time-wise) despite packaging claims that it's the R-rated US cut.

As for strengths and weaknesses, I refer you here.
Old 02-08-05, 01:20 AM

Well the UK prints are listed as PAL 98mn 56 seconds,99mn 4 seconds thus totally either extra seconds for the uncut UK theatrical release.

Why Lions Gate is releasing both versions in the U.K. but not the U.S is really confusing. Most likely they are going to wait for the sequel too release it uncut(but that is just a guess...since they are pretty unreliable with unrated versions now).

Anyway I am pretty sure the U.S dvd out now is the real R rated version without those extra 8 seconds

As for strenghs and weaknesses. I just saw it a few days ago for the first time and liked it for the most part.

Strengths....twisted original story line. Decent acting,some excellent set pieces(love the 'bear trap' one..talk about intense!). Pretty suspensful and creepy throughout. Tolerable acting(though yes I did laugh my ass off at Elwes durring his big breakdown sequence near the end,hehe).

weaknesses...some overdirection(flashy hyper-editing scattered throughout...car chase sequence example of being hilarious instead of thrilling because of the editing/speed choices!). Also sometimes bad directorial choices(ie-flashback having a flashforward...and yet another flashback gets confusing!).

I loved the ending and found it very surprising. I pretty much guessed the twist would be what it was,only not how it was done in the film. So it did fool me and left me floored.

I am not sure how it will hold up to repeat viewings,but I liked it enough,that I might buy it. I can't pass up kickass packaging either...though I'll do my best to wait if possible.
Old 02-08-05, 03:02 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

SAW is an over-the-top B-movie masterpiece, and probably the only genuinely surprising film I saw in theaters the month it came out. Yes, it's schlocky but it has no pretensions of being fine art. The SEVEN comparison is ludicrous. About the ending I can only second JW above. Of course that's what made the movie for me.
Old 02-08-05, 05:04 PM

i should have mine Thursday. i will post pics of the neat packaging.

so i am still confused...is this cut or not and by how long if yes?

edit: i saw this at DVD Compare...
OVERALL: Draw
pending confirmation of specs, but your decision is likely to depend on whether you want the unrated version (R2) or the US theatrical version (R1) with more extras
NB the BBFC have confirmed the 2 UK versions as follows:
Q: Please could you confirm which DVD release ('R-rated' at 98m 56s or
'Unrated' at 99m 4s) is the same as the UK theatrical version?
A: We classified the 'unrated' US version for UK cinema release. So the
longer, 'unrated' version (99 mins) is the same as the cinema version.
CUTS:
R1 America - (Lion's Gate) - No cuts - R-rated US theatrical version
R2 United Kingdom - (Entertainment In Video) - No cuts - this is the same as the US R-rated version and is shorter than the UK theatrical version
R2 United Kingdom - (Entertainment In Video (UNRATED)) - No cuts - this is the UK theatrical version (which is the same as US unrated version)

so where is this "US unrated version"?

i am now looking forward to this thanks to yous' and Preston. love that it is DTS in the US. looks like a shlock-lovers dream and will fit nicely with my others...

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-08-05 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the final twist is enough to really bring the whole film down (in my opinion)
Really? Interesting... I thought the ending was the saving grace to the film. Otherwise, it would have been just another average film. Not saying that it's a great film, cause it's not... But the ending saved it from being just another flick to making it one worth checking out. Still not worth buying, IMHO, but it is worth a spin in the player on a Friday evening.
Old 02-08-05, 06:20 PM

Scott,I think the confusion can be simply answered by this...

It was released uncut wih an 18 in the UK. This was the directors cut version of the film.

The dvd contains the 'U.S. R rated version' also rated 18 by the BBFC. It was 'not cut' by the BBFC. Meanwhile the 'unrated' version was also submitted and got an 18 with no BBFC cuts. This version is the original UK theatrical version.

The 'U.S unrated version' could just be wierd wording since it is a U.S film,and also was shown unrated on the festival circuit before being picked up by Lions Gate.

Regarding the ending,do not read at all if you don't want this ruined for you.........
Spoiler:
When I read all the bad reviews,many of which complained/laughed about the 'lame' ending. They mentioned the camera pulling back showing the dead body in the frame with the music growing louder as too say 'SURPRISE TWIST!' then fading too the credits. So I was thinking the dead body was Jigsaw and the film ends on a bleak note realizing he is dead,and there is no hope left for the charecters,they have no way out of their situation now. Basically I thought someone they would finally realize who the body on the floor really was. So imagine my surprise when the ending did something completely different than what I was expecting,and I was just floored literally. It caught me completely by surprise and I was creeped out by it. Totally bleak and awsome!
Old 02-08-05, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Scott,I think the confusion can be simply answered by this...

It was released uncut wih an 18 in the UK. This was the directors cut version of the film.

The dvd contains the 'U.S. R rated version' also rated 18 by the BBFC. It was 'not cut' by the BBFC. Meanwhile the 'unrated' version was also submitted and got an 18 with no BBFC cuts. This version is the original UK theatrical version.

The 'U.S unrated version' could just be wierd wording since it is a U.S film,and also was shown unrated on the festival circuit before being picked up by Lions Gate.

Regarding the ending,do not read at all if you don't want this ruined for you.........
Spoiler:
When I read all the bad reviews,many of which complained/laughed about the 'lame' ending. They mentioned the camera pulling back showing the dead body in the frame with the music growing louder as too say 'SURPRISE TWIST!' then fading too the credits. So I was thinking the dead body was Jigsaw and the film ends on a bleak note realizing he is dead,and there is no hope left for the charecters,they have no way out of their situation now. Basically I thought someone they would finally realize who the body on the floor really was. So imagine my surprise when the ending did something completely different than what I was expecting,and I was just floored literally. It caught me completely by surprise and I was creeped out by it. Totally bleak and awsome!
huh? bottomline-is the DVD we are getting in the US by 2/15 cut or not? i mean ImDB lists as 102 and 100 min for US. up above says 103 minutes...sorry if i can't follow, but thanks for the explanations Julie.
Old 02-08-05, 07:58 PM

Well like I mentioned before,the 100 minute(imdb.com) running time could be wrong for the R rated version. The local papers here advertised the film as 102 minutes in the listing. So again,the confusion could stem from various lengths documented all over. More than likely,they were just assumptions of what they thought the running time was. Or they could have not included the end credits and recorded the R version as '100 minutes'.

Anyway the U.K. uncut version is only 8 seconds longer than the R rated version. So of course the R version is in the 102-103 minute range. Meanwhile the unrated version is in the same time range,but a few seconds longer.

If it makes you feel any better,the film in R rated form is still pretty grisly and intense. I'd love to see the uncut version,but it won't be happening right away in the U.S(damn Lions Gate!).

From what I have heard,the main cuts were 3 seconds of a woman digging through a guys intenstines(bear trap sequence),2 seconds to the 'wire' sequence,and a couple seconds too the foot cutting sequence.

The color scheme was also altered I am told to make it 'less intense' since the MPAA was still giving it an NC-17.

But that is foolish on the MPAA's part,since the film is still very 'intense'

So I see no reason why the uncut 8 seconds longer,original color-timed version could not pass with an R rating. Then again,the MPAA is always inconsitent
Old 02-08-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe that 8 seconds can enable a movie to be viewed by anyone under 17 with parental consent. Must be a pretty violent 8 seconds.
Old 02-09-05, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by natevines
Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe that 8 seconds can enable a movie to be viewed by anyone under 17 with parental consent. Must be a pretty violent 8 seconds.
which makes me ? whether a dd is in order with the UK unrated. maybe when someone gets this they can just post some picks or maybe do a quickie compare to see if indeed worth the 8 seconds. damn 8 freggin seconds!!
Old 02-09-05, 04:00 PM

Back to the actual review.....since this movie came out I have recognized there are strong feelings by both people who loved it and hated it. I am in the "Loved it" camp. As a script, I thought it was one of the five best of the year, and I think it is much better Seven. In my opinion, Seven was a great movie, but the ending was predictable and I saw it coming as each of the sins were eliminated one by one. In Saw, I never saw the ending coming. It was fresh, unique and left me wanting more. I, for one, am looking forward to the sequel, but worry that itw on't live up to the original.
Old 02-12-05, 05:37 PM

Check out the sweet packaging!!

Enjoy!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.