Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When was the last time the whole theater sat through the credits?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is sort of another take on the applause thread. I know many of you always sit through the credits when you see a movie, but in my opinion the vast majority of the public leave as soon as the movie is over. Whether that's right or not is another subject, but what's the last movie you went to where most of the audience stayed in their seats well after the movie was over? I am one of those people that leaves as soon as the movie is over, but the only movie I've ever stayed in my seat after it was over was Saving Private Ryan. After that movie ended nobody and I mean nobody moved. It was probably a good 5 minutes before the first person got up and after that people slowly began filing out. Any other experiences like that? Try not to mention Return of the King because I know TONS of people stayed through the credits for that one.
Old 01-16-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only time I've seen the majority of the audience stay through the credits is when they know there is going to be something funny afterwards or when there is something going on (like outtakes) during the credits. Otherwise it's a mad dash to the parking lot. I've even seen people leave when they know the ending is just a shot or two away, just so they can get out earlier.
Old 01-16-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Well, there's ALWAYS someone leaving.. but I remember when I saw Schindler's List a high percentage of people stayed seated for a good deal of the credits.
Old 01-16-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost always stay in my seat for the whole credits (unless the movie was just horrible or the credits music really sucks). However, I remember quite a few people hanging out after Dodgeball got out (there was a thing at the end of the credits) and Team America.

By the way, is it just me or is there a lot more movies now a days that have little things during or at the end of the credits? It seems like they are trying to make people stay and watch the credits.
Old 01-16-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think I've ever seen everyone stay throughout the whole credits. At best they stay through any footage that plays with the credits. Dawn of the Dead kept a lot of people.

I of course, will never stay for the credits unless there's something to watch anyway. Some people think it's disrespectful or some BS to leave, but the 8 bucks I paid for my ticket is all the respect I need to give the filmmakers.
Old 01-16-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

every once in a while when i see an indie or foreign picture and their is a small amount of people in the theater (matinee) then the whole theater stayed...pretty much me and half a dozen others
Old 01-16-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a film music aficionado, so I sit through the credits for all the films I see. And I do read most of the credits. I'm almost always the first person in the theatre and the last one to leave.
Old 01-16-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Couldn't tell you, since I always leave unless there are bloopers playing through the credits.
Old 01-16-05, 05:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Dawn of the Dead (2004)...there's a shot that gets the whole audience sitting down and paying attention immediately.
Old 01-16-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't say I've ever seen it happen.
Old 01-16-05, 06:55 PM

rush hour 2
Old 01-16-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Largest amount I've seen was the midnight showing of Return of the King which was sold out by the local comic book shop. Almost everyone sat through those credits.
Old 01-16-05, 07:41 PM
ams

The Matrix Reloaded had a trailer for Matrix Revolutions at the end of the credits. Everyone stayed for that.
Old 01-16-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Jackass The Movie
Old 01-16-05, 08:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Well, there's ALWAYS someone leaving.. but I remember when I saw Schindler's List a high percentage of people stayed seated for a good deal of the credits.
not one person left in my showing. not only that, but no one moved, said a word, or anything until 15 minutes after the credits, lights on and all...what a truly memorable experience!
Old 01-16-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only stayed the whole credit sequence once: to see the eyeball ripping outtake at the end of Kill Bill: Vol 2.
Old 01-16-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw Hotel Rwanda last Friday afternoon. the theater was packed (which shocked me for a weekday matinee) so I had to sit in the middle. I made everyone stand for me to sit down when I was like 5 minutes late so I held my pee until the end. Everyone in my row stayed until the end of the credits. I was mad, I almost pissed myself...
Old 01-16-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Opening night, midnight showings of Episode 1 and 2. Also I'd say the majority of the audience stuck around in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, sneak preview.
Finding Nemo is another.

But it is a rare occurance to be sure.
Old 01-16-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nightmaster
I can't say I've ever seen it happen.
yup
Old 01-17-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
not one person left in my showing. not only that, but no one moved, said a word, or anything until 15 minutes after the credits, lights on and all...what a truly memorable experience!
Schindler's List was the only one that popped into my mind. I'll never forget it. Not only did everyone stay for the full credits, but afterward when the lights came up I remember a single man sitting a few rows in front of me, almost at the front of the theater. He had his head in his hands and was just sobbing uncontrollably. Everyone else was teary-eyed at best and most were crying, but my date and I just sat there and watched this man, re-living the film through his outpouring of emotion. Finally, after a few minutes, he picked himself up and walked out. I don't think any more than a couple of people left before he did, as I'm pretty sure that everyone in the theater was doing what we were doing and waiting for him to lead us.
Old 01-17-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stay for the whole credit roll almost all the time, and usually I'm the only one left. Sometimes others stay, but never have I seen the whole audience stay.

I didn't see Schindler's List in the theater though.
Old 01-17-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Never
Old 01-17-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
When I saw Life is Beautiful everyone stayed through the credits, although there was only about a dozen or so folk.

I remember at Natural Born Killers, the majority of the packed theater remained seated for a minute or two, absoluetly exhusted by the experience.