Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Do you finish your games??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 03:33 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you finish your games??

I am a gamer that doesn't finish very many games. It is due to the fact that there are so many great games out there, and I tend to move on quickly from game to game. I would love to be able to say "I won't play any other game until I finish the one I am currently playing." I respect you guys who can do that. I have a bunch of games that I got about halfway through and then started playing something else, and I never went back to the previous game. Then I don't finish the one i switched too because i switched to another -- it is a vicious cycle. But me playing through an entire game only happens once in a while.

Another reason I probably don't finish some games is because it may a bad save system and I get frustrated going through the same difficult sections over and over again. When I get real frustrated...that game goes on the shelf until later or forever. One good example is Chronicles of Riddick....I like the game alot...but I got to a part that is frustrating the heck out of me. Its after the mines when you plant the bomb and go in the hole. I have ammo issues because the enemies seem to infinitely respawn...it also doesn't help that i don't have alot of life from the last auto-save. But the game is now on the shelf...but i am determined to finish that game. I love games that have a save anywhere feature or like Halo/Halo2 that has numerous checkpoints. Anyway are there any other gamers out there like me or am I in the minority?

Current list of unfinished games:

Halo 2 ---hopefully will finish tonight...I have got to be near the end
Chronicles of Riddick
Ninja Gaiden --- it may be years before this happens -- hard as hell
Full Spectrum Warrior
Shenmue 2
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow -- getting this in a trade in couple of days
Killzone -- PS2 broke...so i won't finish it
Champions of Norrath -- PS2 broke...so I won't finish it.

wlj
Old 01-11-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I've finished a game since super mario brothers on nintendo. haven't beaten halo, kotor, ninja gaiden, or anything else that I can think of.
Old 01-11-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't finish a lot. I start even fewer. I buy them because I want to play them despite the fact that I do not have time to play them. Back in the SNES/Genesis day, I finished most every game I started (unless it sucked), but now I don't finish a lot.
Old 01-11-05, 03:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finish most games, but I won't bother finishing a game I'm not enjoying. Life's too short for that. Luckily I'm pretty good at ignoring hype and buying only games I'll enjoy.
Old 01-11-05, 03:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I finish so few games it's not even funny. In terms of 2004 releases, I only finished two games: Fable and Doom 3. In 2003, I only finished KOTOR and Call of Duty.

Other games I've finished:

Zelda Toot
Zelda Ages
Wolfenstein 3D
Luigi's Mansion

Um...that may be it.
Old 01-11-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I started this thread a few years ago about games that I needed to finish. I ended up finishing 20 of the 21 games on the list (never really wanted to play the other one, due to me not having a decent PC gamepad, so it would have been a chore to finish, rather than entertainment).

I've fallen back a bit and need to finish about 15 games now. The thing that hurts the effort to get that number lower is that I've been trading many games at Trade Games Now for the last year and a half. If I decide that I don't want to keep a game, I usually end up trading it for another game that will need to be finished. So even though I finish games, the number doesn't go down. The only way that the number goes down is when I decide to keep a game.

But for the most part, yes I finish all of my games. The only games that I don't finish are ones that I don't like well enough to keep playing. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.
Old 01-11-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm probably 60-40. Finish about 60%.

You need to finish Riddick. Hang in there!
Old 01-11-05, 03:54 PM
wlj

i plan on hanging in there...I like the game alot...just kind of frustrated at the moment. I will press on Thanks for the encouragement.

wlj
Old 01-11-05, 04:12 PM
Li

Originally Posted by wlj
Shenmue 2
I got stuck at a part late in the game where you needed a bunch of money to fight someone...
Old 01-11-05, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll finish most unless it gets to the point where I'm just not enjoying it anymore. I usually try to stay focused on one game until I finish it but sometimes I'll hop around... actually these days I'm playing more arcade type games than those w/ a story line anyway so I'm not really sure that counts
Old 01-11-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that I'm 75-25 for games that I enjoy. Meaning I finish 3 out of 4 games that I play that don't suck. On top of that, I mostly play RPGs.

But I've bought a lot of games over the years, so I have quite a few I like that I haven't finished. I actually keep a list to prevent me from buying new ones. Whenever I get the urge to buy now, unless it's something I can absolutely not live without, I'll look at the list, feel guilty about spending so much money, and cancel my trip to the store.
Old 01-11-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play one game at a time. If it's good I'll stay at it until I finish it, and if it starts to suck I put it away and move on to something better.

Most recently, I finished GTA:SA the 2nd week of December after playing nothing else for nearly 7 weeks (awesome ). Since Halo 2 was off limits until Xmas (being under the tree and all), I played 007:EoN. I got about 2/3 through when the stupid save system pissed me off for the last time. Back on the shelf it went where it now sits waiting to be traded. I moved on to Halo2, which I immediately set at Heroic and thoroughly enjoyed - for the week it lasted
Old 01-11-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I try to finish every game that I purchased. Mind you, I mentioned "try" as some games are just so frustrating to finish.

Since I am a PC Gamer and I usually play First Person Shooters. Once I get really tired of saving the level, starting all over again and saving again....I look for the cheat codes in the net and finish the damn thing.
Old 01-11-05, 05:49 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by NC-36
Most recently, I finished GTA:SA the 2nd week of December after playing nothing else for nearly 7 weeks (awesome ).

I will give you props...I can't imagine playing just one game for 7 weeks straight. I got probably halfway through GTA:SA and put it on the shelf...It really blew me away to start with...but it got old if you can believe that.

wlj
Old 01-11-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You gave up too soon

The story seems to slow a little in the middle, when everything looks all nice and mellow in San Fierro. When you get a call from the Mysterious Voice telling you to cross the bridge to the desert part of the map for a meeting, the game ramps up again in a new direction. Then, once you're finished with the desert and managed to work your way through the high rollers in Las Venturas, you get to the end game - settling old business back where you started. Only now you're a very different and dangerous player than when you were kicked out of Los Santos.

Go back to it. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-11-05, 06:10 PM

YES, I'm finishing ALL games that I'm playing. I'm a freaking hardcore gamer. What can I say.
Old 01-11-05, 06:14 PM
wlj

I would...but my PS2 just ain't working no more...won't load games and makes a real disconcerting sound. It sucks but I don't think I will purchase a new one---I will dedicate my gaming life for the immediate future to XBOX....I do hate missing out on Devil May Cry 3 though.

wlj
Old 01-11-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
What's funny is that there are so many complaints that many games are too short nowadays... but because I have less time than ever to play, I don't finish most of the games I buy anyway! I think I'd rather have a great, short game that I can finish than some of these games that either drag on or get frustratingly hard (Burnout 3, I'm looking at you!). (this does not, of course, apply to RPGs, even though I rarely finish them, either).

Amazingly, the majority of games I've finished in the last few years have been GBA games, mostly because I can play them on the go, and don't have to fight the wife for the TV.
Old 01-11-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll finish only if it's possible. If there's some STUPID thing where (in a RGP) you have to jump over a bunch of squares quickly to get to the other side of a chasm (like in Baldaur's Gate) and it takes me over 2 hours, I quit.

Or if there's a stupid maze (like in Max Pane) that takes you hours to get through, forget it. I turn it off and never go back to it. I play games to relax, not to get frustrated (that's what the real world is for).

The only games that I ever finished were KOTOR, Fallout 1 and 2 on the PC, Jedi Knight on the PC, and that's about it.
Old 01-11-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh, don't remind me of the nightmare levels in Max Payne

wlj, GTA:SA will be available for the XBox in June. Start a new game on your XBox and finish it then. You even get the benefit of custom soundtracks
Old 01-11-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your posts on GTA reminds me GTA: Vice City which I did not finish.

My level of frustration went to "dangerous blood pressure phase" when I got into this assignment with having to control this the freakin' toy helicoper to plant bombs in a construction site. With the time limit and the difficulty of controlling the damn thing, I must've attempted it over 6-7x with no luck.

Went back to EB Games for the bargain bin the very day after I finally gave up.
Old 01-11-05, 07:29 PM

the last game i finished was front mission 4,.. and if i remember correctly, its the only game i finish last year.... im getting too old for games
Old 01-11-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never finish them. After 25 years I still haven't finished River Raid.
Old 01-11-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Your posts on GTA reminds me GTA: Vice City which I did not finish.

My level of frustration went to "dangerous blood pressure phase" when I got into this assignment with having to control this the freakin' toy helicoper to plant bombs in a construction site. With the time limit and the difficulty of controlling the damn thing, I must've attempted it over 6-7x with no luck.

Went back to EB Games for the bargain bin the very day after I finally gave up.
I bet you tried picking up a bomb right away, then trying to plant them and deal with the construction workers all at the same time. Doing it this way makes it much harder than it has to be.

The timer starts when you pick up the 1st bomb, so you should fly into the building and kill all the workers and guards without touching the bombs. Familiarize yourself with the drop-off locations, then fly back across the road and pick up the 1st bomb. You should have lots of time if you do it this way.

Last edited by NC-36; 01-11-05 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice tip, NC but too late (and too bad) for me.

Anyway, I do plan to get GTA: San Andreas once it comes out in PC. Since the console and PC version are basically the same, are there any frustrating levels like this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.