Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition'

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13658 and...

Well I am a LOTR Fan and I do think this edition blows the previus 2 ex editions out of the universe, now Ordway gives it less in Replay because it is too long, my comment to that is that it is not fair because if you do not have 4 hours to watch this movie you should buy the "normal" dvd version.

The extra scenes are awesome and as usual they answer important questions you were having after the "normal" version.
Old 12-15-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I understand the justification for the Replay rating, I believe I'm much more likely to watch this multiple times than about 95% of the DVDs I own. I disagree with that rating, but I'm not sure how it isn't "fair". The review is for the EE, not the TE, and her justifaction applies to that film. Besides, it got Collector Series rating. It's not like a few more stars on the Replay would make much difference.

das
Old 12-15-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The rating does seem low to me, but OTOH I admit that I do, and will, have a hard time watching this over and over again. But not so much because of the length, rather because of how emotionally exhausting ROTK is. It was already that way with the theatrical and now more so with the extended version. Great movie all the same.
Old 12-15-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Replay value on the entire EE trilogy, based solely on runtime, is rather imposing, so maybe that accounted for her rating. But it seems fairly inconsequential to nitpick over such a small component of a very well-written review - even if I happen to disagree with some of her comments

here's my review, if you're bored....

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-15-04 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 11:50 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will probably take me days to get through the 3 movies.....guess what I'm doing over the holidays

Anyway, I'll probably would only watch them once a year/two years.
Old 12-16-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the video quality of the ROTK EE. I wish every DVD was make this way.

The DTS sound track is a little better than the DD, highs and lows were slightly better.

Many commentaries to go through, listen to all of them for the last 20 min of the movie.

Have yet to watch any of the other extras.
Old 12-19-04, 12:20 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Unrelated to this discussion... I don't feel like starting a new one. But are the cases of all 3 extended editions similar in material and size? My copies of FOTR and TTT are in storage, so I can't compare them. I just got my ROTK and I swear that the other two copies were slightly bigger and the cardboard was a little more durable. Anyone care to comment? Am I just imagining things?
Old 12-19-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
(jrobinson: ROTK EE seems exactly the same, except for the case being just a tad tight)

I don't understand how a person could possibly rate the EE on replay value. The LOTR EE editions should have a "NA" for the Replay Rating (i.e., Not Applicable). And other movies which are longer than 2.5hrs or so as well. I mean, what about movies such as Spartacus, the original French Monte Cristo w/Gerard Depardieu, Pride & Prejudice, etc.
Old 12-19-04, 11:14 AM

Did anyone notice the color of the shirts that Merry, Frodo & Pippin were wearing in the scene towards the end of the movie where Aragorn tells them "My friends, you bow to no one"?

They are the exact same color of the each of the DVD sleeves of the three EEs. Merry's shirt is the color of FOTR:EE, Frodos shirt is the color of TTT:EE and Pippin's shirt is the color of ROTK:EE.
Old 12-19-04, 11:19 AM

I usually do not watch the entire movie when I replay them. I just rewatch my favorite scenes from these movies. So for me the replayability value is high.

The video was much superior to the FOTR:EE & TTT:EE. They were too soft and lacked detail while ROTK:EE is sharp and detailed. The colors are better here too compared with the first two EEs.
Old 12-19-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts
You can argue all you like about the replay value (pesonally, I think it's very high); ultimately that's a personal call. But how on earth can this edition only rate a **** for extras? What extra could a DVD possible include that this one doesn't? If this release doesn't rate a 5-star rating in the extra catagory, no DVD should ever get one.
Old 12-19-04, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
You can argue all you like about the replay value (pesonally, I think it's very high); ultimately that's a personal call. But how on earth can this edition only rate a **** for extras? What extra could a DVD possible include that this one doesn't? If this release doesn't rate a 5-star rating in the extra catagory, no DVD should ever get one.
I believe that she gave 4 stars because she thought the extras weren't as good as the extras in the previous two EEs (whatever that means).

I would give the extras only FOUR stars because the idiots who produced the EEs leave out the trailers. I was hoping that at least in this final EE, the trailers for all movies would be included, but hell no.
Old 12-19-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

The DTS sound track is a little better than the DD, highs and lows were slightly better.
I thought just the opposite in 7.1 (ProLogic IIx)

Stew
Old 12-20-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Replay Value.

Gene Siskel said it best: "No bad movie is too short, no good movie is too long."

Take that for what it's worth...
Old 12-20-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I can see that.
When seeing long movies in the theater [like RotK], I do start to get antsy, but not because of the movie, rather because of the environment. Those chairs aren't comfortable, I want a refill on the popcorn, gotta pee, etc.
But a good *movie*, the movie itself, in a way I don't want it to end.
Old 12-20-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's what surprises me. I do not think RotK was the best movie I saw last year, and I'm not even sure if it would make the Top 5. Yet, I saw it 5 times in the theater and have already watched the EE DVD twice. To me, that's the very definition of Replay Value: knowing exactly what's going to happen and wanting to watch it again anyway.

das
Old 12-20-04, 02:21 PM

I never had a chance to catch ROTK in the theater and didn't bother looking at the dvd until the Extended Edition came out.

I watched this yesterday and it just completely blew me away. It was longer than the previous movies but for some reason the pacing felt very quick. I didn't lose interest for a minute, unlike the other ones where I felt some scenes seemed to drag the pacing a little.
Old 12-20-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After two viewings, eagely awaiting my third with family, I have better accepted some of the changes and now FAR prefer it to the original version. Wonderful film.
Old 12-20-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I watched LOTR 1 in theater(didnt know it was 3 part series).
Bought dvd.
Learned extended edition would be coming out.
Bought the extended edition(didnt watch it).
Didnt watch LOTR 2 in theater, waited for extended edition - bought it, also didnt watch it.
Similarly waited for and bought LOTR 3 extended edition.
Now that I have the complete series, I shall watch all three in the holidays

Am I sad???
Old 12-20-04, 09:30 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
(jrobinson: ROTK EE seems exactly the same, except for the case being just a tad tight)
Tight is right. Mines has a HUGE crease into. Gonna venture into best buy and get it replaced. I ordered mine online, scared to go into the store during the holidays.
Old 12-21-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Yeah, and remember, Best Buy will now have you pegged as one of those guys who only wants a deal!

I forgot to mention I used a BB Buck, and they had me fill out so much information, I could have swore they wanted me to say, "Nahhh, just forget it."

But. I didn't. I proudly waited in line for like 15 minutes (no joke) filling out paperwork.
Old 01-05-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody thought the EE was inferior to the Theatrical Release?

Really?

I finally got around to watching RotK EE with my wife (who's a huge fan). We both are didn't like it. Many of the added scenes detracted film.

I thought it was overlong and the pacing was totally off. My take is that after working so many years on this film, and having a chance to do the EE, and it being the last of the three: they were unable to edit it with a clear eye.
Old 01-06-05, 04:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regardless of the cut, I thought it was a great film (I actually enjoyed the extra scenes). The extra's on the EE are pretty awesome and the EE is definately worth the money.
Old 01-11-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jepthah
After two viewings, eagely awaiting my third/FAR prefer it to the original version. Wonderful film.
Same here
Old 08-31-05, 03:38 PM
Cool New Member

This review focuses on the film and is therefore more relevant. Too bad the same perspective was not taken with TTT:EE.

Last edited by Lou Sytsma; 08-31-05 at 03:41 PM.