Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Legend of EarthSea, 12-13-04 on SciFi

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Legend of EarthSea, 12-13-04 on SciFi

I couldn't find a recent post about this Sci-Fi channel miniseries. From the previews it looks like it will have spectacular production values, and of course I can never get too much of Lana from Smallvile. I know I read the books when I was in junior high, even though I remember nothing about them (22 or 23 years ago) I do remember liking them.
From my on-screen guide it looks like there are two, 2 hour episodes (repeated several times) on Monday and Tuesday.
Old 12-13-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will be checking it out, but the reviews have been pretty mediocre.
Old 12-13-04, 11:46 AM

I'll definately be watching, but the commercials have been so different than what I had pictured in my head (I've read the entire series) I'm concerned.
Old 12-13-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll give it a chance but don't expect much.
Old 12-13-04, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Any plans for a DVD? I can't watch fuzzy TV anymore.
Old 12-13-04, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews have been very negative. I'm a big fan of the books, but the guy (Halmi) in charge is such a hack, even LeGuin herself has distanced herself from this production. I think I'll just DVR this and watch later, if it sucks as bad as I'm afraid it does, I can just zap the thing.
Old 12-13-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK. I watched the first part, not great but not terrible either. I'll watch the second part tomorrow.
Old 12-14-04, 12:13 AM
Cool New Member

Ok, so I read the first two books (of which this miniseries is based) about 6 months ago and found them difficult to get through, but rewarding once I had managed to get my head around Leguin's very formal writing style. I just saw the first part of the miniseries and can only say to fans of the book to stay as far away from this crap as you can.
Old 12-14-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely not on par with Jackson's LOTR (and the comparison's inevitable considering I just finished watching the first two EEs in prep for tomorrows release) but fairly good considering it is made for TV fantasy. I couldn't help thinking "Dragonslayer" meets "Harry Potter" though.
The evil king is a bit silly, and his whole plot to take over the world a bit stupid. My 12 year old seemed to like it though.
Old 12-14-04, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F
I hear ya! Darn popup promos over programming and end credit cuts so the soundtrack can't be heard.
Old 12-15-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All right, thank goondess that's over with now.
Old 12-15-04, 09:34 AM

I watched this because I am a fan of the Earthsea books. After the first night I thought, ok they are taking some GREAT liberties with the story. After the second night I now feel that the story got F'ed in the A. On it's own, I definately could have skipped it.
Old 12-15-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It should be airing on Universal-HD, although a date hasn't been scheduled yet, as far as I know.
Old 12-15-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

zing!

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html
Old 12-15-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I imagine this will grow old and moldy on my TiVo, then eventually get erased sometime this spring without having been watched.
Old 12-15-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't say this to troll, but did anyone really expect different? Seriously, when is the last time a Sci-Fi (sic) Channel mini-series (not based on something already high quality) didn't suck hardcore? These things are always terrible. I learned long ago not to fall for the promising promos.

das
Old 12-15-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when is the last time a Sci-Fi (sic) Channel mini-series (not based on something already high quality) didn't suck hardcore?
I don't know if this applies, but the original Battlestar Galactica TV series sucked tool. However, the mini-series was actually pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.

Farscape: Peacekeeper War was a fantastic mini-series, although the TV show was very good. So it doesn't apply to your question.

I would have to agree that Earthsea was not good at all. It was slow and boring, and didn't engage me one bit. Neither did the characters.

Definitely not on par with Jackson's LOTR (and the comparison's inevitable considering I just finished watching the first two EEs in prep for tomorrows release
That's a silly comparison don't you think? This is an inexpensive made for TV mini-series. LOTR is a very expensive film trilogy with state of the art filmmaking tools available. Of course it doesn't compare. It wouldn't compare to Van Helsing for that matter, at least technically.