Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tivo owners and fans of West Wing, Lost and/or Jack & Bobby

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Tivo owners and fans of West Wing, Lost and/or Jack & Bobby

Just a heads up that Lost is now listed as 61 minutes long by ABC, so you'll miss an 8 PM CST recording of either West Wing or Jack&Bobby even with a DTivo if you record all three shows.

Looks like WB re-airs Jack & Bobby at 5 PM CST on Sunday for those stuck with just one DTivo....
Old 10-24-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last episode of Lost cut off on my DVR...it was like racing against the clock.
Old 10-24-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a DirecTivo (two tuners) so I am still getting Jack & Bobby, but not Kevin Hill. I'm not too bummed about it, since I only watch that show while doing other things. I'll record it on the bedroom Tivo, something to watch during those nighttime baby feedings.
Old 10-24-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TMI! TMI! TMI!
Old 10-24-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I missed the last few minutes of Lost last week too (and forgot it was being reshown yesterday). Even though I watch Lost & West Wing live, I guess I'll have to set the DVR for the latter so I don't miss the beginning. Where will end?
Old 10-24-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best solution I devised to TiVo "Lost" and "The West Wing" was to just set them both up as manual downloads that repeat every week.

For "Lost", I set the manual recording from 8-9 and then went into the recording options and set it to end one minute later.

For "The West Wing", I set the manual recording from 9:05-10 (they only allow 5 minute increments). I then went into the recording options and set it to start 4 minutes earlier.

This way I should get the final moments of "Lost" and join "The West Wing" hopefully while it's still the recap or at the most, the first few moments of the episode.
Old 10-25-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does Tivo not list shows with their actual running times? On my digital cable, for example, last week's Lost was shown with an 8-9:01PM running time. Couldn't Tivo do an update or something, so if something is scheduled to record at 9PM, it would just start at 9:01 instead of not recording at all?

I don't see the point of having a DVR if you have to manually record shows. I may as well just stick with my VCR for the time being.

Last edited by TracerBullet; 10-25-04 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-25-04, 07:49 AM

I noticed last night while watching Desperate Housewives on my tivo that the episode was 61 minutes, so it looks like tivo is updating based on information from the networks....
Old 10-25-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by TracerBullet
Does Tivo not list shows with their actual running times? On my digital cable, for example, last week's Lost was shown with an 8-9:01PM running time. Couldn't Tivo do an update or something, so if something is scheduled to record at 9PM, it would just start at 9:01 instead of not recording at all?
TiVo DOES list the correct running times, but only if the networks give enough notice. Last week's Lost was listed as 60 minutes long, so if your digital cable picked it up as 61 minutes long, perhaps ABC changed the schedule at the last minute, which is too late for TiVo to catch it. (Most units only dial in to get guide data once a day)

I don't see the point of having a DVR if you have to manually record shows. I may as well just stick with my VCR for the time being.
Enjoy your time in the stone age.

Last edited by Morf; 10-25-04 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-25-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Morf
TiVo DOES list the correct running times, but only if the networks give enough notice. Last week's Lost was listed as 60 minutes long, so if your digital cable picked it up as 61 minutes long, perhaps ABC changed the schedule at the last minute, which is too late for TiVo to catch it. (Most units only dial in to get guide data once a day)

Enjoy your time in the stone age.
So wouldn't it make sense to have the Tivo unit dial in more than once a day?

And what's with the stone age crack? I've been thinking of getting a Tivo for a while, but I really don't see the point if you still have to manually set up recordings. Expressing reservations about something is not the same as disparaging it.
Old 10-25-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 351 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I just got a DVR Friday and have already made the time adjustments for Lost

how did I ever live without my DVR??
Old 10-25-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK why would ABC change it to 61 minutes? Just to screw up TIVOs or DVRs? Was adding an extra minute to the show really worth it? There were scenes in the show that could have tiny bits cut to bring it back to 1 hour.
Old 10-25-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So wouldn't it make sense to have the Tivo unit dial in more than once a day?
For series 2 models that have high speed access, this would be great. Check hourly, even. But for old models like mine, that use the phone line, dialing in and organizing the data takes time. I could see dialing in maybe twice a day, but it really shouldn't be necessary. Networks shouldn't be changing guide data except in extreme situations.

And what's with the stone age crack? I've been thinking of getting a Tivo for a while, but I really don't see the point if you still have to manually set up recordings. Expressing reservations about something is not the same as disparaging it.
Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come off quite so demeaning. So many people dismiss TiVo thinking it is nothing more than an expensive VCR. TiVo is one of those products sometimes difficult to explain until you've used it yourself. Run, don't walk, to buy a TiVo now. Or at least hit tivo.com and get the free CD that explains what it is TiVo does.

Honestly, though, you don't have to manually set up recordings. You can, of course, but 99.9% of the time, you set up a Season Pass to record the program no matter the time it is on. You can then pad the entire Season Pass.
Old 10-25-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
OK why would ABC change it to 61 minutes? Just to screw up TIVOs or DVRs? Was adding an extra minute to the show really worth it? There were scenes in the show that could have tiny bits cut to bring it back to 1 hour.
I'm guessing they probably just added longer commerical breaks. We might get a couple extra seconds of actual content.
Old 10-25-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honestly, though, you don't have to manually set up recordings. You can, of course, but 99.9% of the time, you set up a Season Pass to record the program no matter the time it is on. You can then pad the entire Season Pass.
And, again, you don't even have to pad recordings if the network will report the proper length of the episode. Padding is only necessary if a) the network reports a 61-minute show as being "60" minutes or b) intangible live events, such as sporting events, run over due to overtime.
Old 10-25-04, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
I'm guessing they probably just added longer commerical breaks. We might get a couple extra seconds of actual content.
That may very well be it; I just saw that for Desperate Housewives ABC doubled it's cost for a 30 second commercial from $150k to $300k! For another 60 seconds they're making $600k...
Old 10-25-04, 01:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
BTW, last minute changes have their own drawbacks as well. A couple weeks ago, my network affliate changed the guide data on which "Joey" episode was supposed to play at the very last second. To my surprise, this caused my Tivo to record Joey on both tuners...same channel, different descriptions!
Old 10-25-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
oh no!

NBC has defiled every network with there insidious 1 minute extra bullcrap!
Old 10-25-04, 04:02 PM

For series 2 models that have high speed access, this would be great. Check hourly, even. But for old models like mine, that use the phone line, dialing in and organizing the data takes time. I could see dialing in maybe twice a day, but it really shouldn't be necessary. Networks shouldn't be changing guide data except in extreme situations.
How do you set up your Tivo to check more than once a day? I've checked out their site, but I didn't see anything about it...
Old 10-26-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lisadoris
It's actually more about competition. If the show runs over time, it means that a show on another network has started already and some people might be less inclined to change to it if they know it's already started. Another reason is that since it goes into another hour, it helps the ratings of the next show by basically carrying over that audience into the next show.
Old 10-26-04, 07:46 AM

I wish TiVo had a feature where you could specify: "Start recording up to X minutes late" that would allow it to record a show even if you may miss the first X minutes. They have a way to start early, why not start late?
Old 10-26-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Chopper
How do you set up your Tivo to check more than once a day? I've checked out their site, but I didn't see anything about it...
DirecTivo's get their programming data over the satellite lines, and it can be 'pushed' down whenever new info is available. It's made adjustments last year for Presidential addresses and the like once the White House announced how long the speech would last, etc...

As for standalones, you MIGHT be able to force a daily call in an attempt to get updated info, but that's just a guess.