Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Things to look for when buying a Big Screen?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parent's tv blew out in a lightning storm and they are looking to buy a big screen. That is about all the guidance I got from them and they want me to help them pick one out. What should I look for?

I'm thinking atleast get one HD ready, although they dont use HD now and i doubt they will, they would still have the option in the future. Also look at resolution, anything else? I dont even think there is a preference on size.
Old 10-24-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm thinking atleast get one HD ready, although they dont use HD now and i doubt they will, they would still have the option in the future. Also look at resolution, anything else? I dont even think there is a preference on size
Although the mandated date may have slipped from the FCC, everyone will have to have HD at some point in the not too distant future.

I would start with a budget and a location and work from there.

Personally speaking I like the DLP sets from Samsung and others.

Like any other high dollar purchase I would try to test view with some source material you are familiar with.
Old 10-24-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they have space (only about 2' deep required), I would recommend a CRT-based rptv in terms of the best bang for the buck in terms of best pq, lowest price, and biggest screens (Absent a front projector of course!). I would also recommend going with a Mitsubishi, as they are definitely tweakable and have great pq and reliability.

Unlike the other sets, the crt rptv's do need to be set up properly at first. This involves little more than running a calibration disc (or at least setting the contrast and color levels slightly below 50% for starters!), and running through a convergence setup with the remote. Chances are that an rptv that you see in the store will probably not look nearly as good as one you set up at home. They are NEVER well adjusted on the showroom floor! So, testing material you're familiar with in a store will not give you a good idea of how nice these tvs look at home.

If you're in NYC, you're welcome to come by and see what a properly-set up Mitsu bigscreen looks like. (Stunning in HD, awesome with DVDs, very good to great with cable...)
Old 10-25-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Although the mandated date may have slipped from the FCC, everyone will have to have HD at some point in the not too distant future.
[rant]

This is a very common misconception. The FCC has not mandated HD (high definition). They have mandated the digital delivery over the air of SD (standard definition) signals. This will replace the current analog NTSC over the air delivery system. What this means is that the 20% or so who receive their signal with a pair of rabbit ears or rooftop antenna will need a new set-top box for their old TV or a new TV with a new tuner.

If your parents are within the 80% or so that receive a cable or satellite signal, they will be unaffected by the change.

[/rant]
Old 10-26-04, 04:39 PM

What's the budget? If unlimited, I recommend a DLP-RPTV set or plasma. Easier to use/maintain.
Old 10-28-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

he has set no budget but i think he wants to stay below 2k
Old 10-29-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How far from the TV do they sit?
What size tube did they have previously?
What do they watch most? TV vs. DVD
How is their eye sight?
How tech savy are they?
Did they Say "Big Screen" or did you just think "Big Screen"?

Under 2k really focuses you search.

Rear Projection CRT up to 60” can be had under $2k
Also 32”-34” W/S HD Tubes are a good fit in smaller rooms.

I'm not expert... just my thoughts....

Last edited by JCJF10; 10-29-04 at 02:23 PM.