DVD Talk
Wizard of Oz hanging? True or BS? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wizard of Oz hanging? True or BS?

dick_grayson
09-24-04, 12:02 PM
I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. In the Wizard of Oz, right after Dorothy and the Scarecrow pick up the Tinman, as they're skipping away, somthing in the background appears to be a man who is dangling from a rope after hanging himself. In truth, I've heard, it's actually just a crane. I believe the crane story. Anyway, does anyone have screenshots of it or a definitive answer. Thanks.

Groucho
09-24-04, 12:03 PM
It's B.S.:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicid.htm

dick_grayson
09-24-04, 12:22 PM
The clip from the link is called Munchkin suicide, which seems odd. Anyway, the clip is really unclear and I can't see shit anyway. The article seemed to exaggerate the claim in order to support the authors refuting of it.

And if what I did see was a bird, why would someone think a figure on the ground would be a man hanging?

Joe Molotov
09-24-04, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by dick_grayson
Anyway, the clip is really unclear and I can't see shit anyway.

And that's the entire reason why this urban legend has persisted. If you could tell exactly what it was, then it wouldn't be fun anymore. But since you can't tell what it is, then it's more fun for people to believe outrageous stories about munchkin's committing suicide in the background and then the clip getting somehow left in by mistake.

dick_grayson
09-24-04, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Joe Molotov
And that's the entire reason why this urban legend has persisted. If you could tell exactly what it was, then it wouldn't be fun anymore. But since you can't tell what it is, then it's more fun for people to believe outrageous stories about munchkin's committing suicide in the background and then the clip getting somehow left in by mistake.

What I meant was, it was a shitty Real Video file of an already hard to determine clip.

majorjoe23
09-24-04, 01:32 PM
Pop in the movie itself. It ain't a body. My friends and I spent many Friday nights in middle school trying to find the hanging. It isn't there.

And please, no jokes about teenage boys spending their Fridays watching Judy Garland movies.

Trigger
09-24-04, 02:35 PM
The hanging is there... the clip showed the scene in fullscreen missing the hanging which happened off to the left - I've seen it numerous times when I worked in a video store. It's not a real hanging obviously, but I think it was a joke or something. In any case, I remember talking about the bird since it's obvious it's a bird, but the hanging was in another area of the frame.

Giles
09-24-04, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by majorjoe23

And please, no jokes about teenage boys spending their Fridays watching Judy Garland movies.

oh it's sooo tempting, ... :D ... but I wont.

majorjoe23
09-24-04, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Trigger
The hanging is there... the clip showed the scene in fullscreen missing the hanging which happened off to the left - I've seen it numerous times when I worked in a video store. It's not a real hanging obviously, but I think it was a joke or something. In any case, I remember talking about the bird since it's obvious it's a bird, but the hanging was in another area of the frame.

Man, it's hard to tell if you're joking here. Wizard of Oz is a full screen movie, there is nothing happening to the left or right of that clip. There is no hanging in the Wizard of Oz.

If you were joking, it was a good one.

copiedline
09-24-04, 03:44 PM
I remember seeing something in the background. I dunno what it is, although I've heard many stories. I highly doubt it's a hanging, but something is there.

cultshock
09-24-04, 04:10 PM
To me, it looks like the ghost of a little boy. Ooops, wrong movie.

Charlie Goose
09-24-04, 04:33 PM
I would watch it, but I can't find my Pink Floyd CD. :)

bhk
09-24-04, 10:40 PM
It's Paul Mcartney.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0