Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wizard of Oz hanging? True or BS?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. In the Wizard of Oz, right after Dorothy and the Scarecrow pick up the Tinman, as they're skipping away, somthing in the background appears to be a man who is dangling from a rope after hanging himself. In truth, I've heard, it's actually just a crane. I believe the crane story. Anyway, does anyone have screenshots of it or a definitive answer. Thanks.
Old 09-24-04, 11:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's B.S.:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicid.htm
Old 09-24-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The clip from the link is called Munchkin suicide, which seems odd. Anyway, the clip is really unclear and I can't see shit anyway. The article seemed to exaggerate the claim in order to support the authors refuting of it.

And if what I did see was a bird, why would someone think a figure on the ground would be a man hanging?
Old 09-24-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dick_grayson
Anyway, the clip is really unclear and I can't see shit anyway.
And that's the entire reason why this urban legend has persisted. If you could tell exactly what it was, then it wouldn't be fun anymore. But since you can't tell what it is, then it's more fun for people to believe outrageous stories about munchkin's committing suicide in the background and then the clip getting somehow left in by mistake.
Old 09-24-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
And that's the entire reason why this urban legend has persisted. If you could tell exactly what it was, then it wouldn't be fun anymore. But since you can't tell what it is, then it's more fun for people to believe outrageous stories about munchkin's committing suicide in the background and then the clip getting somehow left in by mistake.
What I meant was, it was a shitty Real Video file of an already hard to determine clip.
Old 09-24-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Pop in the movie itself. It ain't a body. My friends and I spent many Friday nights in middle school trying to find the hanging. It isn't there.

And please, no jokes about teenage boys spending their Fridays watching Judy Garland movies.
Old 09-24-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The hanging is there... the clip showed the scene in fullscreen missing the hanging which happened off to the left - I've seen it numerous times when I worked in a video store. It's not a real hanging obviously, but I think it was a joke or something. In any case, I remember talking about the bird since it's obvious it's a bird, but the hanging was in another area of the frame.
Old 09-24-04, 02:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23

And please, no jokes about teenage boys spending their Fridays watching Judy Garland movies.
oh it's sooo tempting, ... ... but I wont.
Old 09-24-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
The hanging is there... the clip showed the scene in fullscreen missing the hanging which happened off to the left - I've seen it numerous times when I worked in a video store. It's not a real hanging obviously, but I think it was a joke or something. In any case, I remember talking about the bird since it's obvious it's a bird, but the hanging was in another area of the frame.
Man, it's hard to tell if you're joking here. Wizard of Oz is a full screen movie, there is nothing happening to the left or right of that clip. There is no hanging in the Wizard of Oz.

If you were joking, it was a good one.
Old 09-24-04, 02:44 PM

I remember seeing something in the background. I dunno what it is, although I've heard many stories. I highly doubt it's a hanging, but something is there.
Old 09-24-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,510 Posts
To me, it looks like the ghost of a little boy. Ooops, wrong movie.
Old 09-24-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would watch it, but I can't find my Pink Floyd CD.
Old 09-24-04, 09:40 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It's Paul Mcartney.