Third Watch *Season Premiere* - 09/17/04

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Third Watch *Season Premiere* - 09/17/04

"More Monsters"

Spoiler:
When an obsessed mob boss (Gene Simmons) enraged by his son's death continues trying to kill police officers, Cruz begins to wonder whether a fellow cop is helping.

Cast: Chris Bauer, Coby Bell, Bonnie Dennison , Nia Long, Molly Price, Kim Raver, Anthony Ruivivar, Skipp Sudduth, Tia Texada, Jason Wiles, Joe Lisi, Yvonne Jung, Joe Badalucco, Bill Sage, Kristen Vermilyea, Saundra McClain, Patti D'Arbanville, Marc Aden Gray, Gene Simmons, Tim Kang.
Producer(s): John Wells, Christopher Chulack.

Original Airdate: September 17, 2004.
Old 09-18-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, that convinced me we have little to fear from the lapse of the assault weapon ban. Four bad guys with fully automatic weapons, one serious wound (Bosco may or may not die) and a few minor ones. Meanwhile a handful of cops with handguns and a knife take them down in spite of body armor.

When faced with obvious body armor, why do cops keep aiming at the chest, why not take a head shot? Laughed at Jelly's "I was aiming for his leg."
Old 09-18-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the one show on television that is not afraid to get rid of cast members in a blink of an eye. At first I thought Bosco was a goner, but if Kim's leaving then I doubt that they will get rid of Maurice, too. But if they did, it wouldn't surprise me.

Before Jelly shought that guy in the head, I kept saying, "Okay, fatass, it's time to pick up your gun already."

I can't believe Sully still carries around that old six-shot pistol.
Old 09-18-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by OldDude
Well, that convinced me we have little to fear from the lapse of the assault weapon ban. Four bad guys with fully automatic weapons, one serious wound (Bosco may or may not die) and a few minor ones. Meanwhile a handful of cops with handguns and a knife take them down in spite of body armor.

When faced with obvious body armor, why do cops keep aiming at the chest, why not take a head shot? Laughed at Jelly's "I was aiming for his leg."
Agree with everything there cause you wrote pretty much everything I can in here to say.
Old 09-18-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B.A.

Before Jelly shought that guy in the head, I kept saying, "Okay, fatass, it's time to pick up your gun already."

Yeah and he still came through it all with his bifocals intact.

I can't believe Sully still carries around that old six-shot pistol.

I'd like to see the episode again but as I'm thinking it over, I thought that Sully had a .38 snub nose last night instead of his usual .38 special duty revolver. When he was trying to reload and his hands were shaking, I thought that may have been a five shot snubby. Could have been his BUG. (back up gun) Not sure though.

However, remember there was a situation in an episode last season where the cops were all preparing to go on a raid and Davis made some snide comment referring to Sully's old time revolver to effect of: "When are you planning to join the 21st. century?"

Sully replies something like: "Well if it works..."

Then while in a gun battle, Davis is trading shots with a bad guy when his auto slide locks after firing only a couple rounds. The bad guy is about to shoot Davis point blank when Sully takes out the bad guy with his old reliable revolver saving Davis' life. Sully and Davis kind of exchanged looks and Sully sort of shrugs.

That was a great moment and it was interesting to see the writers actually take the time to include that little bit of firearms detail and drama in a show.
Old 09-18-04, 11:05 AM

That "villain" had to be the most annoying bad guy i've seen on a TV show in a long time! Who talks like that?
Old 09-18-04, 11:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I hadn't watched the show in a few years but turned in just becasue their was nothing on.

I thought the shootout was well done.

I was wondering why Kim was still there in the beginning since she's going over to
Spoiler:
Old 09-18-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kim Raver is going to 24? That's sucks for Third Watch, but good for 24, even though I don't watch it.

Yeah, Phil L., I remember when Sully saved Davis' ass last season because his old shooter is more reliable.
Old 09-18-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't this supposed to be Third Watch's last season? Didn't NBC only order a handful of episodes (13 or something)?
Old 09-18-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't heard that. It performed pretty good when they moved to Friday night last season.
Old 09-18-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't heard that. It performed pretty good when they moved to Friday night last season.
I know, but I recall reading a few months ago that the show is only on the air until January when some other show replaces it in the time slot.

After last night's episode, I hope this is not the case.
Old 09-18-04, 07:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by Darq
That "villain" had to be the most annoying bad guy i've seen on a TV show in a long time! Who talks like that?
That was Gene Simmons!

Old 09-18-04, 08:44 PM

I watched this for the first time since it's beginning season, it was a really good show. A little hard to sort out who was who, since I haven't seen it in a long time, but I think I got everyone figured out. I'll definetly keep watching now that I've started again.
Old 09-18-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yokas spends the entire siege blubbering over Bosco.
Davis gets the drop on one goon, and not only fails to take him out, but also gets the shit kicked out of him.
Monroe does nothing except whimper while the above goon walks calmly up to her and starts to choke her. She would've been dead if Davis didn't stab the guy in the back.
These are highly trained officers?

At least Cruz and Jelly were there. Jelly was staring down the barrel of an assault weapon and still told the guy to go to hell.
Old 09-19-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Yokas spends the entire siege blubbering over Bosco.
Davis gets the drop on one goon, and not only fails to take him out, but also gets the shit kicked out of him.
Monroe does nothing except whimper while the above goon walks calmly up to her and starts to choke her. She would've been dead if Davis didn't stab the guy in the back.
Hey! Sasha did try to shoot the gun a bit as he was walking towards her...
At least Cruz and Jelly were there.
Mmm mmm mmm, man was Cruz there. Love me some Tia.

Knowing that Kim was going to 24 [whoo hoo! oh wait, I watch 24 too...d'oh!], I figured she was the one that was going to go. I doubt Bosco's gonna kick it.
Old 09-19-04, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TV Guide revealed this about Bosco in their latest issue:

Spoiler:
Bosco's fate will be the show's main season arc. At the end of the season, it'll be revealed if he makes it or dies. Meaning he's probably going to be in a coma.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 09-19-04 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-19-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose

Regardless of your profession your personality and humanity does not change even with being highly trained. I work in law enforcement and know cops that would've been shocked into being unable to do anything and others that would've given a battle cry and ran out of that room to kick ass like Duke Nukem carrying only a ball of tinfoil and a box of rubber bands. Most people fall somewhere in between

I thought this was a great episode. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like
Jelly. He's kind of a chump, kind of not.

The ending was great. You knew Yokas was going to go waste Gene, there was no way around that. Even though he was cuffed, if I remember correctly he cuffed himself in the front. He could still have easily lunged/attacked Cruz, which would make Yokas' shooting justified as long as both agreed that's what happened. Don't see why they're going to try and make a big deal of it next episode (from the previews that's what it looked like.)

The one thing that bothered me about the show was at the very end when the camera pans away from the roof top and we see the surrounding area. There was no place anywhere near where they were for a helicopter to land. Kinda ruined it, I thought.

Season predictions:

Maurice will definitely live, but it I predict we'll see a Yokas & Bosco flashback/bonding episode.

This is going to make Sully rethink being a cop and he'll go on to law school part time. Ty will do just the opposite.

As for Kim, IMDB already lists her as ending this season. So she's definitely gone.

Carlos will become supervisor and will find out he's more like Doc than Doc was. The newhire the station gets to replace Kim will be more like Carlos than Carlos was.

Yokas and Cruz will become tight.

The LT will walk around and yell at everyone some more.
Old 09-19-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by renaldow
The one thing that bothered me about the show was at the very end when the camera pans away from the roof top and we see the surrounding area. There was no place anywhere near where they were for a helicopter to land. Kinda ruined it, I thought.
My girlfriend pointed that out too. I told her that perhaps they were going to throw down a rope ladder...
Old 09-19-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
My girlfriend pointed that out too. I told her that perhaps they were going to throw down a rope ladder...
Or at least had pontoons on it so it could land in the swimming pool!
Old 09-19-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed the lack of a heli-pad on the roof, too.

I don't want them to waste an entire ep about how they are going to cover-up Mann's death - just say that he lunged at Ugly and get it over w/.
Old 09-20-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exactly! It was the tongue, it came out of nowhere!!