TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jack & Bobby - series premiere 9/12

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 12:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Jack & Bobby - series premiere 9/12

I've been looking forward to this. This seems to be the one amongst their new shows the The WB has the highest hopes for.

Pilot

Spoiler:
The McCallister household undergoes a major change when Grace and Jack's temperamental relationship takes an undue toll on Bobby.
Old 09-12-04, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole "which one is the one" was interesting for one episode,
Spoiler:

but I'm glad they didn't try to drag it any longer than that.
Old 09-12-04, 07:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too am looking forward to it.
Old 09-12-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched the premiere, and enjoyed it. Thank goodness they went ahead and let the audience know which brother would become president (it'd be too cute to be ambiguous about it for more than a couple of episodes, anyway).

I'll be tuning in, though the flashbacks might be giving away too much of the characters' fates for my liking.
Old 09-12-04, 09:29 PM

So this turned out to be good? A couple of weeks ago, Entertainment Weekly came with a DVD containing the premiere...I got pretty sick of it after about 10 minutes, but I always meant to pop it back in to finish it. I guess I now have more incentive to do so.
Old 09-12-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I thought that the show was well made. I would have liked for them to drag out the whole which one is going to be president scenario for awhile to keep the viewers in suspense. On the other hand, it is nice to know which one will be elected in case the show gets an early exit due to cancellation.
Old 09-12-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jessica Pare' (Courtney) had scenes with and without her caps on her front teeth (her later scenes were without the caps, while the earlier ones were with the caps). I prefer with the caps.
Old 09-12-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lwhy?
I thought that the show was well made. I would have liked for them to drag out the whole which one is going to be president scenario for awhile to keep the viewers in suspense. On the other hand, it is nice to know which one will be elected in case the show gets an early exit due to cancellation.
Exactly what I was thinking, though I am confident that this show should have more staying power on Sunday night than their horrible Tarzan series from last year. And the fact that it's from the same people who made West Wing and Everwood already has me intrigued.

However, there may be some real competition for this show in the next few weeks. Desperate Housewives premiers on Sept 26th, and from what I have seen of the series, it looks like it might be something quite interesting to watch.

This will be a couple of firsts for me on Sunday night. This will be the first time since X Files ended that I will feel compelled to watch something in that time slot on Sunday night, and the first time in a longer time ABC has something on their schedule I actually want to see.
Old 09-12-04, 10:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I enjoyed it too. I agree they gave alot away, Bobby becomes the president and Jack's fate, but I can see why they did it.

I hope they tone down the "interviews" in the future now that they've established some backstory and just focus on the present day.
Old 09-12-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I'll be tuning in, though the flashbacks might be giving away too much of the characters' fates for my liking.
I liked it a lot, but I whole-heartedly agree w/ what you said. I have no problem w/ them telling us that Bobby becomes President - it's not hard to figure out who it is. BUT I have a major problem w/ them telling us in the first episode that Bobby ran for Congress after Jack dies - that was kind of a shitty thing to do. That just gives away too much, imo.

Still - it's a very good show, I just think they could tone down the flashbacks - they don't need to give so much away so fast.
Old 09-12-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrX
I enjoyed it too. I agree they gave alot away, Bobby becomes the president and Jack's fate, but I can see why they did it.

I hope they tone down the "interviews" in the future now that they've established some backstory and just focus on the present day.
Exactly. I get the feeling this show isn't going to be about what happens, but rather how it happens.

If it is, it's in good company.
Old 09-12-04, 11:24 PM

Well that's interesting. I would have thought given their names that Jack would be the president.
Old 09-12-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dammit!! i don't get this channel so i can't watch this. there are so few shows that interest me now, and i can't watch one of the few that do.
Old 09-13-04, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I, for one, am glad they have the "present day" interviews and hope they keep them at the same level. The show would be too much teen-angst without the constant reminder of who this guy becomes and what was important to him. It gives it much more of a documentary feel and sets it apart for that reason.
Old 09-13-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the show. I too would have liked to see them drag out who would be the future president but it doesn't really detract from the story all that much.

I'll keep watching.
Old 09-13-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Very interesting first episode, I don't know if they can sustain this level through the course of a series, but I really enjoyed the pilot.
Old 09-13-04, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I watched the EW DVD and thought the show was kind of lame. The gimmick was cute, but it got old pretty fast. And without the gimmick, it's just Another WB Angsty Teen Drama.
Old 09-13-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
And without the gimmick, it's just Another WB Angsty Teen Drama.
Agree completely.
Old 09-13-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So no one's watching it for how well Jessica Pare' can fill out her sweaters?
Old 09-13-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was pretty good. Good acting and likable acting but contrived.

The whole, someone will be president and you have to guess who, and then the other plot gimmick that one of them will die takes me a out of the story trying to figure out which one instead of really enjoying the show.
Old 09-13-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
What is with shows running over the scheduled time?? I set my VCR to buffer a few minutes before and after anything I tape, and I STILL missed the end of this! I guess I'll try again on Thursday when they rerun it.

As for the show itself, I kinda liked it for what it was, but agree that it may be difficult to keep the premise going.
Old 09-13-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bronkster
What is with shows running over the scheduled time?? I set my VCR to buffer a few minutes before and after anything I tape, and I STILL missed the end of this! I guess I'll try again on Thursday when they rerun it.

As for the show itself, I kinda liked it for what it was, but agree that it may be difficult to keep the premise going.
WB seems to like to air extended versions of the pilots the first night they air. I am betting Thursday and next Sunday's Easy View will be exactly an hour (with commercials of course). WB only aired the extended pilots for Everwood and Smallville once as well.
Old 09-13-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
So no one's watching it for how well Jessica Pare' can fill out her sweaters?
Well something has to distract the viewer from those teeth.

Old 09-13-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, her caps make her teeth look 10x better than before, so hopefully we're done with scenes with her old teeth.

That's one of the perils of watching a HDTV feed (even if the epsiode wasn't HD, though was letterboxed in a 4:3 frame), you can really notice these types of things on actor's/actress's face/hea/mouth.
Old 09-13-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Can someone spoiler text the last 5 minutes or so...my recorder cut off right when Jack told Bobby he needed to come running with him (in the living room with the new TV).

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.