DVD Talk
WORST opening scene of a movie [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : WORST opening scene of a movie

Dr. DVD
09-16-04, 04:26 PM
Since we have so many threads about the Best this and that, I thought we should have one about the worst parts of certain films.

IMO, nothing can top the first scene of WaterWorld.

Here you have a highly publicized multi-million dollar movie (the most expensive in history at the time) that has gotten some bad PR, and what't the opening scene? A guy taking a leak into a cup, dumping it into a contraption, and then drinking what's left.
Not the best way to open a movie with a lot riding on it IMO.

marty888
09-16-04, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
what't the opening scene? A guy taking a leak into a cup, dumping it into a contraption, and then drinking what's left.
Not the best way to open a movie with a lot riding on it IMO.

I guess maybe it was <i>instinct</i> as much as the negative critical and public reaction that has kept me from seeing this movie. Yuk.

Daytrip
09-16-04, 04:56 PM
perhaps they where trying to establish that in this harsh new world one will do anything to survive.........

or maybe the movie just sucks

cultshock
09-16-04, 07:27 PM
OTOH, the film's variation on the opening Universal logo was kind of clever. :)

PopcornTreeCt
09-16-04, 11:21 PM
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I don't give a crap why he's afraid of snakes!!

Crocker Jarmen
09-16-04, 11:37 PM
The voice over that explains much of the visitors at the beginning of Dark City. As luck would have it, the first time I saw the movie I showed up to the theater a few minutes late and missed that part. I don't believe I would have enjoyed the movie as much had I seen that first part.

Get Me Coffee
09-16-04, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt

Really? Thought that was a good one...it sawed the motivations of Indy at a young age...and that transition with putting on the hat was awesome. One of my favorites.

DRG
09-17-04, 12:48 AM

While I enjoyed that opening, I do agree it was a bit ridiculous how every one of his personality traits could be traced back to that event.

Dr. DVD
09-17-04, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The voice over that explains much of the visitors at the beginning of Dark City. As luck would have it, the first time I saw the movie I showed up to the theater a few minutes late and missed that part. I don't believe I would have enjoyed the movie as much had I seen that first part.

You know, I always thought that the movie would have been a lot more interesting without that narration. It's a lot better if a bunch of scary guys in hats show up w/o knowing the truth about them right off the bat.

Groucho
09-17-04, 09:28 AM

I don't give a crap why he's afraid of snakes!! Wow. I really liked that opening. I thought River Phoenix nailed Harrison Ford's mannerisms, plus it was a fun sequence. Also, it took place in Utah.

Triple S
09-17-04, 09:41 AM
Rat. Race.

A-Thank you.

Groucho
09-17-04, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Triple S
Rat. Race.

A-Thank you. Refresh my memory. I remember the terrible ending, but the beginning has my mind blank.

dom56
09-17-04, 10:06 AM
Batman and Robin.

As soon I watch the closeup of Clooney and O'Donnell butt as they put on the costume, I had a bad feeling the movie was going to go downhill from there. I was right.

Jackskeleton
09-17-04, 10:08 AM
PUNCH DRUNK LOVE.

FUCK'N BORING!!!!

Groucho
09-17-04, 10:16 AM
Yeah, nothing bores me more than

a sudden car crash

Yawn!

AnonomusBob15
09-17-04, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I jumped out of my seat at the beginning of Punch-Drunk Love.....

rennervision
09-17-04, 11:51 AM
I'm sure I'll get disagreements over this, but I think "Carlito's Way" began in the absolute worst possible way. It destroyed every bit of suspense that would have existed in the final act. If Depalma wanted the movie to be a flashback so it could start "with a bang" so to speak, I would have preferred he started with Pacino's "You think you're big time?" line while trapped inside that pool hall, then back track to the beginning of the story, and finally have the movie catch up with that pool hall scene and continue from there.

slax
09-17-04, 02:27 PM
The deer peeing in to the creek at the beginning of The Tuxedo,just tasteless and not funny.

Kevin Spacey wanking it in the shower at the beginning of American Beauty.

Crocker Jarmen
09-17-04, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
You know, I always thought that the movie would have been a lot more interesting without that narration. It's a lot better if a bunch of scary guys in hats show up w/o knowing the truth about them right off the bat.

I walked in just as John was awakening in the bath tub, I was so disoriented and constantly being surprised for the next twenty minutes.

I've lent the DVD to a few people, (and striking a firm blow against respect for the director's vision -wink-) I urge them to mute the audio for the begining and start the movie at the bath tub scene.

Jay G.
09-17-04, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I've lent the [Dark City] DVD to a few people, (and striking a firm blow against respect for the director's vision -wink-) I urge them to mute the audio for the begining and start the movie at the bath tub scene.
I wonder if the opening dialouge is really part of the director's vision though. The hackneyed way it explains everything, plus the fact that it seems slapped on the existing footage, leads me to suspect it might've been a consension to the studio, who might've found the film too confusing.

Crocker Jarmen
09-17-04, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jay G.
I wonder if the opening dialouge is really part of the director's vision though. The hackneyed way it explains everything, plus the fact that it seems slapped on the existing footage, leads me to suspect it might've been a consension to the studio, who might've found the film too confusing.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

It appears you are 100% correct.

I just threw on the DVD to see if there was mention of it in the commentary:

Alex Proyas:'The opening narration is kind of an unnecessary addition. It was added at a late stage to help the audience understand what was going on.'

Lem Dobbs (?): 'It was the one imposition made by the studio.'

mllefoo
09-17-04, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
Refresh my memory. I remember the terrible ending, but the beginning has my mind blank.

I think the beginning sequence of that movie last just over an hour and a half. I agree its beginning was pretty drab and awful.

BernieStolar
09-18-04, 06:09 PM
agree with batman and robin. I don't like the movie opening with the villain already running amok. commissioner gordon:"a new villian has commandeered gotham city museum, he's calling himself mr. freeze." what the f are you thinking akiva goldsman/ joel schumacher?

UAIOE
09-20-04, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by dom56
Batman and Robin.

As soon I watch the closeup of Clooney and O'Donnell butt as they put on the costume, I had a bad feeling the movie was going to go downhill from there. I was right.

Hooper X: They turned your movie into one 90 minute gay joke....its like watching "Batman & Robin" all over again!

Staccatos
09-21-04, 01:15 PM
The opening sequence of Gaspar Noé's "Irréversible" makes me absolutely nauseous. Although I'm sure the effect was intended, there's just no way I can sit through it again.

Kechulater
09-21-04, 03:44 PM
The car crash at the beginning of Along came a Spider. Worst CGI ever.

Groucho
09-21-04, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Kechulater
The car crash at the beginning of Along came a Spider. Worst CGI ever. Ooh! Good call!

Jon2
09-21-04, 09:28 PM
I've got to say it...can't help myself...can't not say it...

Star Wars (now referred to as A New Hope).

The overhead rebel spaceship/stardestroyer flyover. The movie just goes downhill from there.

exm
09-22-04, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jon2
I've got to say it...can't help myself...can't not say it...

Star Wars (now referred to as A New Hope).

The overhead rebel spaceship/stardestroyer flyover. The movie just goes downhill from there.

-eek-

Dude! That one is CLASSICAL!

Jon2
09-22-04, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by exm
Dude! That one is CLASSICAL!

Yes, but my meaning is that the rest of the movie doesn't live up to that opening, thereby making the sequence one of the worst.

RyoHazuki
09-23-04, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Jon2
Yes, but my meaning is that the rest of the movie doesn't live up to that opening, thereby making the sequence one of the worst. So its the worst opening scene, because its the best scene in the movie?

Ummmm ok?

The Nature Boy
09-23-04, 02:34 AM
Gator is pretty lame, just too much to catalogue here.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0