Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WORST opening scene of a movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Since we have so many threads about the Best this and that, I thought we should have one about the worst parts of certain films.

IMO, nothing can top the first scene of WaterWorld.

Here you have a highly publicized multi-million dollar movie (the most expensive in history at the time) that has gotten some bad PR, and what't the opening scene? A guy taking a leak into a cup, dumping it into a contraption, and then drinking what's left.
Not the best way to open a movie with a lot riding on it IMO.
Old 09-16-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: WORST opening scene of a movie

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
what't the opening scene? A guy taking a leak into a cup, dumping it into a contraption, and then drinking what's left.
Not the best way to open a movie with a lot riding on it IMO.

I guess maybe it was instinct as much as the negative critical and public reaction that has kept me from seeing this movie. Yuk.
Old 09-16-04, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps they where trying to establish that in this harsh new world one will do anything to survive.........

or maybe the movie just sucks
Old 09-16-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
OTOH, the film's variation on the opening Universal logo was kind of clever.
Old 09-16-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I don't give a crap why he's afraid of snakes!!
Old 09-16-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
The voice over that explains much of the visitors at the beginning of Dark City. As luck would have it, the first time I saw the movie I showed up to the theater a few minutes late and missed that part. I don't believe I would have enjoyed the movie as much had I seen that first part.
Old 09-16-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt

Really? Thought that was a good one...it sawed the motivations of Indy at a young age...and that transition with putting on the hat was awesome. One of my favorites.
Old 09-16-04, 11:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I enjoyed that opening, I do agree it was a bit ridiculous how every one of his personality traits could be traced back to that event.
Old 09-17-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The voice over that explains much of the visitors at the beginning of Dark City. As luck would have it, the first time I saw the movie I showed up to the theater a few minutes late and missed that part. I don't believe I would have enjoyed the movie as much had I seen that first part.

You know, I always thought that the movie would have been a lot more interesting without that narration. It's a lot better if a bunch of scary guys in hats show up w/o knowing the truth about them right off the bat.
Old 09-17-04, 08:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow. I really liked that opening. I thought River Phoenix nailed Harrison Ford's mannerisms, plus it was a fun sequence. Also, it took place in Utah.
Old 09-17-04, 08:41 AM

Rat. Race.

A-Thank you.
Old 09-17-04, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Triple S
Rat. Race.

A-Thank you.
Refresh my memory. I remember the terrible ending, but the beginning has my mind blank.
Old 09-17-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Batman and Robin.

As soon I watch the closeup of Clooney and O'Donnell butt as they put on the costume, I had a bad feeling the movie was going to go downhill from there. I was right.
Old 09-17-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
PUNCH DRUNK LOVE.

FUCK'N BORING!!!!
Old 09-17-04, 09:16 AM

Yeah, nothing bores me more than

Spoiler:
a sudden car crash

Yawn!
Old 09-17-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I jumped out of my seat at the beginning of Punch-Drunk Love.....
Old 09-17-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm sure I'll get disagreements over this, but I think "Carlito's Way" began in the absolute worst possible way. It destroyed every bit of suspense that would have existed in the final act. If Depalma wanted the movie to be a flashback so it could start "with a bang" so to speak, I would have preferred he started with Pacino's "You think you're big time?" line while trapped inside that pool hall, then back track to the beginning of the story, and finally have the movie catch up with that pool hall scene and continue from there.
Old 09-17-04, 01:27 PM

The deer peeing in to the creek at the beginning of The Tuxedo,just tasteless and not funny.

Kevin Spacey wanking it in the shower at the beginning of American Beauty.
Old 09-17-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
You know, I always thought that the movie would have been a lot more interesting without that narration. It's a lot better if a bunch of scary guys in hats show up w/o knowing the truth about them right off the bat.
I walked in just as John was awakening in the bath tub, I was so disoriented and constantly being surprised for the next twenty minutes.

I've lent the DVD to a few people, (and striking a firm blow against respect for the director's vision ) I urge them to mute the audio for the begining and start the movie at the bath tub scene.
Old 09-17-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I've lent the [Dark City] DVD to a few people, (and striking a firm blow against respect for the director's vision ) I urge them to mute the audio for the begining and start the movie at the bath tub scene.
I wonder if the opening dialouge is really part of the director's vision though. The hackneyed way it explains everything, plus the fact that it seems slapped on the existing footage, leads me to suspect it might've been a consension to the studio, who might've found the film too confusing.
Old 09-17-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jay G.
I wonder if the opening dialouge is really part of the director's vision though. The hackneyed way it explains everything, plus the fact that it seems slapped on the existing footage, leads me to suspect it might've been a consension to the studio, who might've found the film too confusing.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

It appears you are 100% correct.

I just threw on the DVD to see if there was mention of it in the commentary:

Alex Proyas:'The opening narration is kind of an unnecessary addition. It was added at a late stage to help the audience understand what was going on.'

Lem Dobbs (?): 'It was the one imposition made by the studio.'
Old 09-17-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Refresh my memory. I remember the terrible ending, but the beginning has my mind blank.
I think the beginning sequence of that movie last just over an hour and a half. I agree its beginning was pretty drab and awful.
Old 09-18-04, 05:09 PM

agree with batman and robin. I don't like the movie opening with the villain already running amok. commissioner gordon:"a new villian has commandeered gotham city museum, he's calling himself mr. freeze." what the f are you thinking akiva goldsman/ joel schumacher?
Old 09-20-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dom56
Batman and Robin.

As soon I watch the closeup of Clooney and O'Donnell butt as they put on the costume, I had a bad feeling the movie was going to go downhill from there. I was right.

Hooper X: They turned your movie into one 90 minute gay joke....its like watching "Batman & Robin" all over again!
Old 09-21-04, 12:15 PM

The opening sequence of Gaspar Noé's "Irréversible" makes me absolutely nauseous. Although I'm sure the effect was intended, there's just no way I can sit through it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.