Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anybody else's Eddie Murphy Raw DVD have specks and artifacts throughout the dvd?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is anybody else's Eddie Murphy Raw DVD have specks and artifacts throughout the dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-04, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought Eddie Murphy Raw today. I was watching it a couple of hours ago and noticed that there were white specks that kept appearing through out the dvd. I was wondering if this was due to the quality of the original print or transfer or due to me having a defective dvd. I obviously would avoid going and exchanging it if it were a problem with every dvd.
Old 09-11-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, you are correct. the dvd looks like shit from what i hear, they probably took the vhs master, put black bars on it, and threw it out there. since the movie didn't have any imput from murphy for obvious reasons, there was nothing paramount could do.
Old 09-12-04, 05:11 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did see the white specks and dirt too. But while not a great transfer, it was very watchable. I mean, it's a stand up comedy routine, so you don't need perfect video quality.

Also, at $9, you can't expect them to be spending much on film restoration.
Old 09-12-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it at Best Buy. I love Eddie Murphy live, this is a great "raw" comedic tour deforce film. Now I am going to say that the transfer had some dirt and grain apparent on the print used for the transfer. All in all, I'd say the film looks as good as it could look. I am glad that they left a very filmlike quality to the transfer. While it might bother other DVD aficianados like myself, it does not bother me, now if Paramount (which sucks btw) would only release Delrious on DVD.

Oh, hate to mention it in this thread, but Paramount is releasing catalogue titles this fall, and this is one of them. There are some ok movies in the pack, some very good ones, and some lame ones. Fire In The Sky, Jimmy Hollywood, and this are some of the coming Paramount titles I will probably purchase.

Now, 1492: Conquest Of Paradise (which arguably the most superior Paramount catalogue title TBR?), which has never been released in the USA on DVD before apparently has been pulled by Paramount, for a release god only knows when. It was mentioned to be on the 11/16/04 list. With titles like Bopha!, and Top Gun CE. For some reason Paramount is not releasing it on that street date.

That is why they suck!
Old 09-12-04, 10:45 AM

So it isn't that my dvd is defective in any way? The dirt and artifacts don't bother me that much for a stand up routine, I just thought that my dvd was defective, I was halucinating or it was a crappy transfer. Every couple of seconds I was seeing white specks jumping in different places in the picture. I am glad to find out that I was not halucinating. It wouldn't of been that hard for Paramount to have cleaned up the print a little better. Some of my classic comedy dvds from the 1930's and 40's look as good as the Paramount Raw transfer.
Old 09-12-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the transfer was decent enough for the material, and given the age and limited interest, I'm just glad to have it on DVD at all... your dvd is not defective... a bad transfer is the only problem with RAW...but it's a great flick that I'm glad to have.

MATT
Old 09-12-04, 12:24 PM

Yes, the transfer for this is pretty low standard, especially for the usually-great Paramount. We have reviewed Eddie Murphy Raw here.

Snippet:
You may have been waiting years for Raw on DVD, in which case you're obviously a fan, so I'm not going to persuade you not to buy it. If you're not familiar with it then caution is advised, because it simply isn't very funny for long stretches. Yes, you can get it for about £8 or £9, but is cheap and not very good really any better than expensive and not very good?
Wait for Delirious instead.