Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Open Invitation to the Presidential Candidates to talk about Video Game Talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 07:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Invitation to the Presidential Candidates to talk about Video Game Talk

As some of you know, there is currently an election going on in the Other Forum for the President of DVDTalk. I'm creating this thread as Town Hall meeting for the candidates to come as they'd like and talk about their outlook & ideas for the Video Game Forum.

The candidates are:

Das Monkey. An intelligent level headed young man, although I'm not sure if he's ever set foot in our dear Video Game Talk Forum or even owns a video game.

Thor Simpson. The creative juice behind Other Forum, Thor actively contributes to the Forum, especially recently with regard to XBox Live. Feel free to game with Thor on XBL, he seems strongly pro-video game forum to me.

Trigger. We all know Trigger and his "lively" debates with Josh Hinkle et al. He's definitely a "hardcore" avid gamer who is outspoken on all issues.

Feel free to openly ask questions to the candidates regarding whatever you want in terms of video games, this forum, etc, as long as it relates to the Video Game Talk Forum.

Voting starts tonight for the candidates.

I'll start with the first question:

Why should the avid gamer/Video Game Talk local vote for you?

Thanks.

Vote Here
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=376846

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 07-26-04 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am an active gamer and will be taking part in the NFL2K4 XBox Live league here.

In addition, I will reach out to other members from other DVDTalk forums to get involved in other tournaments and communicate via XBox live.

This forum is awesome, but talking to other members on Live adds a whole new dimension.

Old 07-26-04, 08:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wow Thor, what a speedy response! I'm impressed. You really hang out at this place, even on such a busy night for you. Thanks for this prompt reply!
Old 07-26-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Wow Thor, what a speedy response! I'm impressed. You really hang out at this place, even on such a busy night for you. Thanks for this prompt reply!
Trying to get the 2K4 xbox live league to work.
Old 07-26-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
As an avid PC gamer, I could possibly alienate some console gamers. And with leanings towards Xbox and PS2, I could possibly alienate the Gamecube vote (which is a large percentage here). I've been to E3 three times now and I've brought plenty of insider info to the people of this forum over the years. I've been involved in more than a couple spirited debates in this forum - sometimes taking sides and other times riding the middle, but in all cases simply trying to even everything out.

I'll be the first to admit that before the Xbox and GCN were released and the console bashing was running rampant, I was among those who doubted Nintendo's ability to be number 1 again in the home console market. In spite of what some may think of my opinions on the subject, it has been quite a few years since I had anything negative to say about the Gamecube... and in my defense, my association with their demographics marketing were simply an observation rather than an insult to anyone. I think the Gamecube is a fine system and I'm happy to have one in my home.

My heart lies with PC gaming first and foremost, but I play on all available platforms and my love for games transcends any sort of loyalty squabble or debate. One of my actions as President would be to attempt to bring all gamers together by bridging the gaps. First on my list for that would be to attempt to eliminate the negative connotations and stigma attached to the age groups that games are marketed to. I'd like to see people here be able to express their opinions without getting under other people's skin.

Vote for me and retain everything you love about this forum and perhaps find something new to love about it.

Old 07-26-04, 08:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thank you Trigger. Very thorough reply.
Old 07-26-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're welcome... I'm available for any questions should anyone have any.
Old 07-26-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure das will quickly reply to this thread, once he gets a chance.

In the meantime, I urge everyone. If you truely care about the candidates views on the video game forum. Hold off on casting your vote until you have heard from everyone. So you can make an educated selection.

Personally.. Im addicted to NCAA 2k5 right now
oh yea.. and Ive been playing that silly gunbound game on the computer for awhile.. when i think about it.. its a nice way to kill some time

(and of course there is always *cough* smallball)

Old 07-26-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Though many people here have heard my background in gaming, I'll go over it again briefly... I started out with an Atari 2600. Pac Man, Warlords, Yars Revenge, Adventure, etc... I still have it and it still works to this day.

I never owned a NES, but I spent many hours playing my friend's. I've also played every console from SNES to Turbografix to NeoGeo to CDI to 32x. I obtained a hand-me-down Sega Genesis near the end of its run. As a child, I also had several Game&Watch handhelds such as Pinball and He-Man. Never owned a Gameboy, but I've spent hours playing them. I do own a Sega Gamegear and several games.

My PC gaming experience started with text-based games and games such as Police Quest, LSL, Space Quest, Bard's Tale, Roadwar 2000, Thexder, etc. Then Doom hit my lap and I was hooked from then on.

Also during my youth, I spent many hours in arcades playing the various racing, fighting, and action games. From Centipede to Gauntlet to Mortal Kombat to Afterburner to Space Harrier to Outrun... yes, I was a coin-op addict. No other candidate has your interests at heart like I do.

Old 07-26-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Gallant Pig •

The candidates are:

Das Monkey. An intelligent level headed young man, although I'm not sure if he's ever set foot in our dear Video Game Talk Forum or even owns a video game.
I'll start with the first question:

Why should the avid gamer/Video Game Talk local vote for you?

Thanks.
Just got back from a softball game and saw the thread. While reading this, just remember ... you asked.

First, let me thank you for the kind words. I've always appreciated you on the forum and was happy to see you take on moderator duties, so your comments mean a lot to me. And you are correct; Video Game Talk is not my specialty.

Before I answer your question, though, I want to thank you for starting this thread. I somewhat assumed there would be more threads like this in each of the forums. While many seemed to be focusing the election on Other Talk specifically, it was my hope that the elected President would represent the entire forum. I only wish I hadn't been away at a wedding and could have gotten this message out to the public sooner, so we could discuss it more. Still, thank you for taking the initiative at least in this forum. I think this type of discussion is a fantastic idea.

On to your question: why should the avid gamer/Video Game Talk local vote for me? Quite simply ... I have virtually no bias. While I have owned just about every console known to man (even a Turbo Grafx and NeoGeo) and spent more hours playing first-person shooters on my PC than I'll ever admit in public (and even go to the local Mellow Mushroom to play Galaga when I need to let off steam ... and don't get me started on SmallBall ), I can honestly say I have no bias when it comes to the current generation of PC and console games. In the past, I've led a clan to tournament victory, I've designed elaborate Doom levels, I've taken part in substantially editing the Quake II engine and helped create an entire sub-culture around it ... I even wrote an elaborate version of Arkanoid/Breakout for the TI-85. While at heart, I am one of you, my job and life in the past couple of years has kept me somewhat out of the loop, and as such, I really have no bias ... I have no favorites. Personally, I do own a PlayStation 2 (random luck that I was able to get it when it first came out), and as I'm sure you can imagine, I have a wide collection of EA Sports titles. They give me great enjoyment, and I love my NCAA football dynasty like my own children; my best friend has an XBox and loves it; but I am not experienced enough to assert any kind of superiority from game to game, console to console, or console to PC. Much like Brian Fellow, I am simply an enthusiastic young man who enjoys blistering my thumbs from time to time (hey! that's not what I meant!). While I am not an expert, gaming is certainly in my blood, and I identify with a great many of you. If only there were more hours in the day.

When the election campaign began, the first thing I did was assess my weaknesses. What was I ignorant about, and what did I need to learn to be an effective leader? The first two things that stood out in my mind were Book Talk and Video Game Talk. Almost immediately, I contacted Copenhagen. I know him to be a level-headed and well-meaning poster from Sports Talk and TV Talk, and I knew he really enjoyed the Video Game Talk forum, so I sought his assistance. He mentioned that Groucho spent some time here as well, and together we exchanged emails back and forth about the positives and negatives of the forum and what we could do to help. As Groucho seemed very enthusiastic about making the forum a better placed, I asked him to help me, if elected, in a somewhat official capacity as an Ambassador to the forum, so that I will never be in the dark with regard to your forum's issues. I also have asked Copenhagen to be my Chief of Staff, and he too has agreed to make sure I'm always up-to-date when it comes to Video Game Talk.

From what I've learned in the past week, Video Game Talk here at DVD Talk is one of the better gaming discussion forums around, and frankly I'm not surprised. I find most things here to be superior to other discussion forums because of our great community. From talking with some frequent posters over email, I've learned that Video Game Talk is both a discussion forum and bargain forum in the same place. I've learned that NFL2K5 is a hotbed for discussion. And I've learned that a history of system wars has somewhat curtailed the potential amount of fun (and I've witnessed this spill over to other forums over the years).

Gaming should be fun. Yeah, it should be intense, but at the end of the day, we should all be able to gather together in one place and celebrate our love for the game. Frankly, I often wish I had more time to get more involved with the current generation games, because there have been so many amazing advancements in the technology, and I haven't been able to explore but a fraction of it. So, what will I bring to the table, and why should you consider me? If you've gotten to know me in other forums, you will know that I treasure balance above most everything else. I'm one of those people who believes if half the world thinks one way, and half the world thinks the other, it's not because one half is stupid ... it's because both sides have a legitimate point. It applies to politics, marriage, and yes ... Video Game Talk.

The Presidency is not a moderatorship. The elected leader will have no power outside that which you entrust in him. While I cannot speak to this forum specifically, I know from experience that Gallant Pig, namja, and Static Cling are outstanding moderators, and I have no intent nor desire to step on their toes. I do, however, want to get involved and be a conduit to help members have their issues addressed. It is my sincere hope that with the help of the forum moderators, as well as Groucho, Copenhagen, and other frequent posters, that we can all work to make the forum a better place for everyone. It is my desire that the all the FUN we've been having in Otter during the past few weeks spill over into this forum, and we can all rejoice in the thrill of kicking one another's asses in online gaming.

If anyone has any question or suggestions for me, I hope you will post them here or contact me personally. I do not take this lightly, and I really would like to make a differnce, but I can only do that with your help. Thank you for your time, and I hope I have been able to give you a good idea of who I am and what I bring to the table. It would be an honor to represent you, and I hope you will vote for me on Tuesday.

das Monkey
Old 07-26-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
How do we know you guys aren't full of shit?

I have always wanted to ask a politician that.
Old 07-26-04, 10:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nice response Das.

Guys how specifically will you make this forum a better place? Thor mentioned the organizing of XBL games online for us to all play. To be that's specific.

I'm thinking the stomping out of console wars would be key to your plans, but is this possible & if so how?
Old 07-26-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• damn_skippy •

How do we know you guys aren't full of shit?
You're welcome to look. However, I would appreciate if you'd wash first. Thanks.

das
Old 07-26-04, 10:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The views of one modest poster in this forum:

It seems that Thor is only interested in the Xbox sports gamer. I desire a president that UNITES all gamers together, not DIVIDES into niches based on the console we own or the genre we play.

My fellow members of Video Game Talk, we need a president who can stay level headed in the matters of video games. One who is not entrenched in the everyday conflicts of this forum.

Clearly, one candidate stands above the others in terms of what this forum needs:

das Monkey 2004
Old 07-26-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gallent Pig,

I should preface my comments with the notion that I speak for myself and not Groucho on the matter, though I reserve the right to agree or disagree with what ever he posts

In addition to various XBL days/nights, I would like to see the PS2 and GC (granted only two games come to mind that can be played via warp pipe) also get some time set aside for them so each console is represented. On top of that I've been tempted to start an XSN Links league here (if I can get enough support). From my time in my 3 Links leagues I have had to joy to run across some of, if not the best, players in the Links community as well as some of the nicest players. I hope to foster the same type of relationships here as well in various other games as well. I do moderate another video game forum (though I am on a hiatus right now) so I'm pretty confident that I have my finger on the pulse of the gaming community. I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to PC gaming, but das and Groucho both make up for that in spades. The das/twikoff camp appreciates the ability to help reach out to the outlying forums to speak on thier concers going into this election.

damn_skippy,

I went recently, so while not full of shit, I'm sure you might find some
Old 07-26-04, 10:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Groucho, you seem to be attacking someone for something they've never even delved into. I don't recall Thor partaking in any console war threads. He owns one machine, isn't that a sign of the common man? Someone who doesn't have the deep pockets to own them all. And shouldn't someone who only has the means to own one machine maximize their gaming efforts for that machine?

I'm not trying to defend Thor so strongly, I consider myself impartial here, but dirty politics doesn't suit me either.

Das mentioned you specifically in his debate as a calming force to keep the flaming to a minimum. Right I see only someone stiring the coals. Please elaborate on your future actions.
Old 07-26-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Gallant Pig •

Guys how specifically will you make this forum a better place? Thor mentioned the organizing of XBL games online for us to all play. To be that's specific.

I'm thinking the stomping out of console wars would be key to your plans, but is this possible & if so how?
My apologies for the delay ... your post slipped through the cracks when I was replying to damn_skippy.

I'm not going to lie to you and make a bunch of campaign promises I can't keep. If elected, I will not have the power to directly stomp out the console wars. That is completely up to the membership of the forum. However, I have learned from experience that when people are having fun together, they put aside their differences and are able to joke about that which may have once divided them.

The recent trend in Otter is a perfect example of this. The forum was being weighed down with excessive political bickering. Generally nice people were fighting with one another, and it was really difficult to find the good debates and maintain the fun. The forum could not sustain itself that way forever, and we all recognized that. It took but a simple post from Geoff asking how to return to the fun to the forum to inspire all kinds of new ideas ... not from one individual, but from everyone. We all got in the mix, and this very election is just one piece of that. The oft-mentioned "FUN" is washing over the forum, and everyone is benefitting from it. Geoff didn't cast down a mandate from on high telling us to do anything ... we did it ourselves.

It is my humble belief that the same thing can happen here in Video Game Talk. I have no intention of presiding over the forum and telling people how to act. I don't believe that is what the President's job should entail. I will, however, initiate and foster discussion on how to make things better, how to make things more fun for everyone. I will listen to what everyone has to say and provide unbiased guidance wherever I can. I will not play favorites, as I have no alliance to any platform. But most importantly, I will work to ensure that an environment exists where you, the members of this forum, make this place better in your own way. You know what works and what doesn't. You know what is fun and what is a waste of time. You all are the heart and soul of Video Game Talk. I am just here to help, to get things off the ground, to foster discussion, to listen and assist. To that end, I have enlisted the help of a few posters already, and if you see fit to cast your vote in my direction, I will be asking for help from even more of you. It is your forum, and it can be as great as you want it to be. If elected, I will make every effort to ensure that positive change takes place ... on your terms.

Another very good question, and I hope I was able to answer it to your satisfaction. Thank you for your time.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-26-04 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Gallant Pig •

Das mentioned you specifically in his debate as a calming force to keep the flaming to a minimum. Right I see only someone stiring the coals. Please elaborate on your future actions.
At present, the tone of this campaign has been very light-hearted with lots of good-natured "negative" ads. The things fnordboy has said about me sure have been hilarious, and I've taken them in the spirit they were intended ... good fun.

Groucho's comments appear to me in that very same spirit, some light-hearted ribbing of Thor while eloquently pointing out my impartiality on this matter and the advantages I bring to the table. I think his post in fact represents what I've been talking about all along. It Otter, his post would be immediately dismissed as light-hearted fun. Here, however, it carries a stricter context. The environment has been soured with negative console wars to the point where a seemingly harmless comment like his could spark controversy. It is my desire to help you change that, to help you all get to the point where no one questions the motives of such a post, but simply laughs at the humor in which it was intended.

das
Old 07-26-04, 11:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Don't get me wrong Das, I was playing along too.
Old 07-26-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Admit it. Thor's using you to get me to type myself into exhaustion so I have to back out of the race!

Lucky for me, I type insanely fast, and I have lots of caffeine by my side.

das
Old 07-26-04, 11:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought the "dirty politics" line would be a tipoff, oh well.

Say Das, is there a God? Why or why not?
Old 07-26-04, 11:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Vote here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=376846
Old 07-26-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And vote for me.

Old 07-27-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When voting, keep in mind that I typed more words during this stop on the campaign trail than anywhere else, including my home forum. That's how important you all are to me.

das
Old 07-27-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
votes das, he has lots to say

Support the Monkey/wikoff ticket, VOTE now!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.