Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some (or most) people I know seem to find it weird for someone to watch a movie in a theatre all by themselves.

I may understand if they are women and may not feel all that safe inside the dark theatre, but most of the guys' reasoning seem to stem from some sort of insecurity. They think you either a loner, can't get a date, can never get laid, a weirdo or a geek with no friends, or that people will just start whispering about why you are by yourself.

I myself am married, have considerable number of friends and enjoy watching DVDs and movies. But somehow, as much as I enjoy watching movies with other people, I pretty much enjoy watching them in the theatre on my own.

Don't have to worry about getting more than a seat (plus I sit by the aisle so a taller person in front of me won't block my view), don't have to hear about how sucky the movie was (the film was already bad enough, I don't need to hear more of it), don't have to justify why I loved a film or what my tastes are etc. etc.
Old 06-10-04, 05:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
all the time,

saw 'Treasure Planet' all by myself...
Old 06-10-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I do.

I usually go by myself when I go see an indie or a foreign flick. Most of my friends don't want to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Intermission. Now when the film is "mainstream" or a "blockbuster," I usually go with a group of friends.
Old 06-10-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yes. I have no problem going by myself mainly because when I typically go with others they find it as a time to talk. Here is a note. First dates should never be taken to the theater. 2 hours of silence is no way to get to know someone and if they do talk to try open up with you I sure as hell don't want to hear them yapping while I'm trying to pay attention to a film.

I especially like going to the theater by myself because of the seat factor. Finding an empty one seat is a shit lot easier than finding two seats dead center together. One seat also means I don't have to get their extra early to wait in any line as it is a hell of a lot easier for that one seat.

I'll gladly go to the theater alone.
Old 06-10-04, 05:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to worry about it, but a few years back I won $1000 worth of Movie Bucks that were only good for that year, and ended up seeing just about EVERY movie that we got. I had to get used to seeing things by myself. Now I do it all the time, especially since my new apartment is a two minute walk to the mall, where all our first run screens are.
Old 06-10-04, 05:48 PM

Yeah, I don't have a problem going alone. I have seen 16 movies so far this year and I have seen 8 alone. I have a friend who doesn't understand how I can go to a movie alone, but if I want to see a movie and no one else does it doesn't bother me sitting alone. I went to see Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine because no one else wanted to see it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, I also went to see Looney Toons, Paycheck, and Timeline at matinees so...
Old 06-10-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never have & never would but if someone wants to do it, there is nothing wrong w/ that.

For me, the fun of going to the movies is talking about the movie afterwards, going out afterwards, or making fun of the movie during. If I'm going to watch a movie by myself I'd stay home & do it. I don't understand going to the movies & paying to see a movie by yourself, but if that's what floats your boat, more power to you.
Old 06-10-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I pretty much always go alone because i fit into the "loner" category.

The only exception is something like Star Wars that you HAVE to see with friends.
Old 06-10-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree with Maxflier.

I'm mostly a loner, but for something high profile I try to get some friends involved. I already have one lined up for Spider-Man 2.
Old 06-10-04, 06:14 PM
Banned

It all depends on the movie. Seeing something like Dawn of the Dead with a bunch of friends can be fun, or The Patriot where you can just rip the thing to shreds.

On the other hand, I took a first date to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Damn, was that one awkward night.
Old 06-10-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aliens- I had to see it immediately, so the Friday it came out I went directly from high school to the theater and caught a matinee alone.

Sixth Sense- My brother saw it and kept hounding me that I had to see it, but wouldn't tell me why. Finally I got frustrated, hung up on him, and went to the theater.

X-Men- Was on a business trip alone the day it opened and had to see it (been a comic book geek for a long time, with X-Men being my favorite)
Old 06-10-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My ex wife hated the indie and foreign films, so I got used ta seeing them alone. She is now with a "Foolscreen/Joe Six Pack type, and my current GF has gone to a few films of that nature with me.

Of course, could be faking it during the dating phase. If she starts nodding off and such, I'll go back ta seeing them alone. (Or get another GF!)
Old 06-10-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Yes. Not many like to theater hop with me.
Old 06-10-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All the time. I often have my daytimes free when everyone else is working, so I go catch matinees. I get to use both armrests. Cheaper and less crowded theaters are a big bonus too.
Old 06-10-04, 06:25 PM

I've done it twice, once for The Thin Red Line, and once for 21 Grams.

I'd prefer to go with someone else, but if there's a movie I really want to see I'll go alone if I have to.
Old 06-10-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I have no friends in this city (went to a different University than my friends) and have no social skills. So yeah, I do
Old 06-10-04, 06:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I go by myself all the time. However, I have never had the pleasure of actually being by myself all alone in a theater.
Old 06-10-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've gone alone in the past many, many times. Best thing is when it's the first showing of the day for a movie that's been out for awhile, you often have the entire theater to yourself. That's actually pretty cool when it happens.

I don't see anything wrong with going alone, and don't see why people feel the need to have to talk to their friends about the movie, during the movie. It's rude and annoying to the rest of the theater.
Old 06-10-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

go alone all of the time
Old 06-10-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Never have & never would but if someone wants to do it, there is nothing wrong w/ that.

For me, the fun of going to the movies is talking about the movie afterwards, going out afterwards, or making fun of the movie during. If I'm going to watch a movie by myself I'd stay home & do it. I don't understand going to the movies & paying to see a movie by yourself, but if that's what floats your boat, more power to you.
Same here. Movie going is pretty much a "lets go hang out" type of deal with my friends. I'd feel a little weird going alone, but since i ususally know someone thats interested in the same films i am, i dont have to worry about it.
Old 06-10-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I can't find anyone with free time to go then I go alone.Doesn't matter,cause you be quiet and watch the movie anyway.
Old 06-10-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I just saw Van Helsing alone Tuesday night and I saw Hellboy, Underworld, and Return of the King alone too.

If I wait till everyone else wants to go then I'll never get to see shit.
Old 06-10-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
no social skills.
Same here.

Luckily, my 'couple of friends' tastes are close to mine.

When I worked there, I used to go to the movies almost-daily by myself. Often times, I'd watch two or three movies in an evening. Couldn't beat free admissions.

I still go alone once in a while. I think the last one was Return of the King. Before that, I must have seen Kill Bill Vol 1 three times by myself.
Old 06-10-04, 08:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I am a loner, so yes all the time. Plus I find it hard to made friend here.
Old 06-10-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
HA HA! LOSERS!

oh wait..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.