Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sleepaway Camp (Uncut Anchor Bay UK) Question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I read on www.sleepawaycampfilms.com that none of the gore was cut from Sleepaway Camp 1, and that it passed the MPAA with an "R" rating. But on Anchor Bay UK's site, it says on May 24th, 2004, an FULL UNCUT version is coming out. can anyone please clear this up? thanks!
Old 05-03-04, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sleepaway Camp (Uncut Anchor Bay UK) Question

Originally posted by asianxcore
I read on www.sleepawaycampfilms.com that none of the gore was cut from Sleepaway Camp 1, and that it passed the MPAA with an "R" rating. But on Anchor Bay UK's site, it says on May 24th, 2004, an FULL UNCUT version is coming out. can anyone please clear this up? thanks!
Whether or not it passed the MPAA as uncut, it's quite likely that gore/violence was trimmed back by England's film censor office (the BBFC) when it was originally released (the British film censors are a little less tolerant of gore/violence than their American counterparts).

The "full uncut version" may be the first time that it's being released unedited in the UK, which would have no bearing on the US release of the movie.
Old 05-03-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the help. I was thinking of buying it on my trip to europe this summer, but I probably will not be picking it up.
Old 05-03-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sleepaway Camp was indeed cut for violence upon its 1986 video release in the UK. AB UK got it passed uncut earlier this year.

DJ
Old 05-04-04, 08:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Sleepaway Camp (Uncut Anchor Bay UK) Question

Originally posted by asianxcore
that's not true. The Sleepaway Camp DVD Collection has Part 1 as a cut R-rated version, an unrated print does exist yet Anchor Bay US didn't include this complete cut on DVD - go figure?

from imdb:

Several scene were cut from the final release, some of which were cut to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA. Cut scenes include:
Longer shot of the watersnake exiting Kenny's mouth.
Longer shot of Meg's dead body.
Longer baseball game scene.
More prank scenes with Mozart.
The character of Ricky curses a lot more.
A longer scene of the naked guys running down to the dock which included rear nudity.

The version re-released by Anchor Bay in 2000 is cut. The old Media Video and Video Treasures releases are the most complete versions.

Funny how when I mention this, it gets 72 views and yet no one responds... :O

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ight=sleepaway
Old 05-04-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hmm might have to rethink what I'm picking up in europe than this summer. thanks
Old 05-14-04, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the R1 was indeed cut...The r2 does say uncut. But that would only be true if they did not use the same version they used for R1.

That may sound unlikely, but the R2 'Anchor Bay' release of "Vampyres" was uncut, whereas the R1 was cut. BUT, that may have more to do with the fact that 'AB' UK have stronger links with 'Blue Underground'..which may be where their uncut "Vampyres" actually came from.

VERY unlikely this would be cut in the UK now by the BBFC. Under the new Guidelines they rarely if ever cut straight forward horror/gore films. Only scenes containing strong sexual violence, dangerous acts (like head butting...that has become a sad addition recently) or animal violence. No reason "Sleepaway Camp" would need to be cut in the UK now.