Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

questions about DVD recorders

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to get a DVD recorder to record TV shows and movies. I'd also like to be able to play em on my computer's DVD drive. This forum says + and - are the way to go.

My question: Is a structure of any kind setup by the recorder? I.e. will I be able to jump to a show in the middle of the DVD or will there be a menu with "show 1", show 2, etc?

Reading this forum, it sounds like BB and CC are on a major downward slide and people think Walmart or Target is best (no Fry's here). Is this so or just a minority?

TIA
infael
Old 02-23-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"My question: Is a structure of any kind setup by the recorder? I.e. will I be able to jump to a show in the middle of the DVD or will there be a menu with "show 1", show 2, etc?"

You are confusing 2 things:
1. You need a DVD recorder that records + or - depending on what your DVD player can recognize. The drive is the physical hardware required to write to DVDr's.
2. Then you need to the DVD buring software. THIS is where the authoring will take place, i.e. menus, etc. Unfortuantely the only software I know of is the 321 studios DVD X-Copy Plus. Just today the software maker has been told to stop producing and selling any DVD software that circumvents copy proitection schemes, i.e. DECSS. Of course there are many different software packages out there. Perhaps you can start a new thread in the TECH TALK Section of the forum asking for 'Best DVD Authoring Software- Custom Menus'.

This may provide for better responses.

CF
Old 02-23-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

C-Fletch. I really don't know what you are talking about.

DVD X Copy copies DVDs.
Nero or any other burn program can create DVD's
Old 02-23-04, 05:26 PM

I'm not talking about dvd drives. I'm talking about the dvd recorders that hook directly to TVs and has absolutely nothing to do with computers.

The Liteon sold by CompUSA seems to have many good reviews so I'll try to get that in mid-March.

Thanks
infael
Old 02-23-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you should post in the DVD HARDWARE forum?
Old 02-24-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want an easy to use, set-top DVD recorder, I can definitely recommend the Panasonic DMR-E50K.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-5/ref=dvdtalk

In answer to your question (if I'm understanding it correctly), the Panasonic allows you to create a menu (Show 1, Show 2, etc.) but you can also jump around within the shows. The machine automatically places chapter stops at 5-minute intervals, and you can also do a time search (12:14 into program #3, etc.) just like you can on other DVDs.

Definitely look into the Panasonic...

And, yes, you should probably also search in the DVD Hardware forum, which is a more appropriate place for this discussion.
Old 02-24-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We use a Sony RDR-GX7 to do transfers from VHS and other sources to DVD. Cost is around $520 or so.

Over 300 DVD-Rs burned and only 3-4 turned to coasters.

Last edited by Luddy; 02-24-04 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-27-04, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by infael
The Liteon sold by CompUSA seems to have many good reviews so I'll try to get that in mid-March.

Thanks
infael
Watch for the model 5005 due out soon (already announced in some countries). It is identical to the 5001 but will record on DVD-R and DVD+R as well as the RWs. Also I have read of numerous problems with firmware so be sure to get the newest version. I am also VERY interested in the Liteon. I hope it turns out to be long term reliable.

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5005.htm

:
-Programmable TV Recording
-Digital Recording (Up to 6 Hours)
-Archive VHS cassettes on DVD Disc
-One Touch Recording
-DV Link ( IEEE1394 )
-Easy Guider

Are you still deciding whether to choose between a +RW/+R and a –RW/-R DVD Recorder? LITE-ON IT introduces a solution that solves this ongoing dilemma. Our new LVW-5005 DVD Dual recorder provides the best solution for simplifying your decision making. The "All Write" capabilities of the LVW-5005 allow users to write their digital content to most popular digital discs, including DVD and CD Recordable media.

RECORDABLE DISC SUPPORTED :
1. DVD+R ( DVD+VR Mode )
2. DVD+RW ( DVD+VR Mode )
3. DVD-R ( DVD+VR Mode )
4. DVD-RW ( DVD+VR Mode )
5. CD-R ( SVCD/VCD Format )
6. CD-RW ( SVCD/VCD Format )

Last edited by excelsior; 02-27-04 at 07:28 PM.