Community
Search

Any word on Patton 2 Disc re-release?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Any word on Patton 2 Disc re-release?

Seeing as Fox has been re-releasing some of its OOP 2 disc sets, I was wondering if anyone out there heard about Fox re-releasing it.
Old 02-05-04, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope not. The original two disc Patton divided the film onto the two discs. That is hardly necessary at this point. However, a special edition of Patton would be nice.
Old 02-05-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
I hope not. The original two disc Patton divided the film onto the two discs. That is hardly necessary at this point. However, a special edition of Patton would be nice.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The movie was contained completely on disc 1. Disc 2 was completely devoted to the special features. The OOP 2-disc edition is the special edition that you think would be nice.

I would hope with the recent releases of all their 2 disc sets, Fox will get around to putting this one back on the shelves. If it happens, I imagine it will be in a 2-disc digipak with a spine number.
Old 02-05-04, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the film is on Disc 1. If I recall, the set was pulled at least partly because it contained Jerry Goldsmith's isololated score for the film and there were some rights issues with it. Excellent set by the way. If you are a fan of the film, I highly recommend tracking down a copy.
Old 02-05-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the few 2-disc sets I missed out on, so I sure hope it reappears!
Old 02-05-04, 11:32 AM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
FYI, the 2-disc is still in the World War II collection (AFAIK.) The box set includes The Thin Red Line (with the Melanesian songs,) The Longest Day, and Tora! Tora! Tora! (although the special edition is better.) I think it has had a price reduction to 39.99 or so.

I bought one of these and traded out Tora! Tora! Tora! (since I already had the special edition.)
Old 02-05-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for pointing me towards that boxset littlefuzzy! Now I just need to sell off 3 movies.
Old 02-05-04, 07:00 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by Cartload
Thanks for pointing me towards that boxset littlefuzzy! Now I just need to sell off 3 movies.
You might want to hang on to Tora! Tora! Tora! (if that is one of the 3) since the box set version is NOT the newer special edition. Also, the version of The Thin Red Line is the old one, without DTS, but it has the Melanesian songs, which aren't on the DTS version.

In my box set, The Thin Red Line, Tora! Tora! Tora!, and Patton (I think) were all shrinkwrapped, while The Longest Day was not shrinkwrapped, and had a blank area where the UPC would go.

I returned Tora! Tora! Tora! and The Thin Red Line to a B&M, but I had to wait until after last Christmas, since I didn't have receipts for them.

Funny thing, I got ~$25 store credit for the Thin Red Line because I was thinking I wanted the DTS version, but then I decided I wanted the Melanesian songs version instead, and I just found it a couple of weeks ago for $10.