Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Genesis??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-04, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genesis??

Any news on what they've been up to lately? The last album (w/o Phil Collins) was total garbage....

Just wondering if Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks plan on doing anything in the near future...
Old 01-18-04, 06:16 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the guys were all talking with each other a year or so back because I read a piece in Classic Rock magazine. I gather that even Peter Gabriel was involved in a mooted get-together. However, I think there was some doubt as to what the combo would be called i.e. quite possibly not "Genesis". And it was all highly speculative. If I can dig out the magzine sometime this week I'll post a summary!

If you have broadband there is a fairly recent set of interviews:For dial-up try:
Old 01-19-04, 04:13 PM
Banned

The band is over. The failure of the great CALLING ALL STATIONS put the final nail in the coffin.

Mike has another Mike and the Mechanics album comming out, Tony has a classical album comming out.

One good thing, is that more and more of their "hidden" concert recordings are comming out. The amout of good/great concert recordings on them in their career are astonding. You never have to put on any of their offical live releases.

For more info:

www.genesis-movement.com
Old 03-16-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link Scott. Great site!
Old 03-16-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone who hasn't, or has no idea, check out their Peter Gabriel-era albums for the love of God. Awesome stuff.
Old 03-16-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 03-17-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I actually quite liked "Calling All Stations". I was kinda disappointed that Ray Wilson was shuffled off the scene so fast when it didn't do so well. I doubt Genesis as a group under that name will ever return, and I've heard stuff with Phil that he'd love to work with them again, but not under 'Genesis'.

After the updated "Carpet Crawlers", I think it'd be interesting to hear what the five of them could do on a whole album these days.
Old 03-17-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by reverie
I actually quite liked "Calling All Stations". I was kinda disappointed that Ray Wilson was shuffled off the scene so fast when it didn't do so well. I doubt Genesis as a group under that name will ever return, and I've heard stuff with Phil that he'd love to work with them again, but not under 'Genesis'.

After the updated "Carpet Crawlers", I think it'd be interesting to hear what the five of them could do on a whole album these days.
I liked it too. I enjoyed Ray Wilson's work in Stiltskin and was pleasantly surprised with Calilng All Stations. I think the band pretty much said before the album came out that if it didn't do well they would call it quits.
Old 03-18-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did Stiltskin do more than one album? I liked a few off of there, but it seemed fairly generic as a whole.

I didn't know Genesis decided earlier on quitting if the album didn't do well. I think they should have given themselves more than just one chance post-Phil. I was so hoping they were going to tour here...
Old 03-18-04, 11:04 AM

There's a new 5.1 mix of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway set to be released in May.
Old 03-18-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by reverie
Did Stiltskin do more than one album? I liked a few off of there, but it seemed fairly generic as a whole.

I didn't know Genesis decided earlier on quitting if the album didn't do well. I think they should have given themselves more than just one chance post-Phil. I was so hoping they were going to tour here...
I'm pretty sure it was just the one album. I loved the first track off it, and some of the others were good, but I guess I didn't like it enough to buy it.

I'm fairly sure that I remember reading an interview with Mike and Tony in Guitar World (or Guitar) where they made some kind of comment about it not doing well they'd just hang it up. It might have been said kinda jokingly, but it sure didn't look that way afterward. I can try and look it up tonight if you want.

Mordred
Old 03-18-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm pretty sure the cancelled US tour where they couldn't even sell out small amphitheatres was the final straw. But then, they should have called it quits in the mid 80's.
Old 03-18-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mordred
I'm fairly sure that I remember reading an interview with Mike and Tony in Guitar World (or Guitar) where they made some kind of comment about it not doing well they'd just hang it up. It might have been said kinda jokingly, but it sure didn't look that way afterward. I can try and look it up tonight if you want.
No need to, but I appreciate it.

THe one thing I wonder about is why Phil left.. I've heard him say things along the lines of that as long as Genesis didn't interfere with his solo work and his living abroad, he'd always be up for it. I wonder what changed that.. I can't see Tony & Mike wanting to push ahead that strongly as to not wait a year until Phil was available.
Old 03-19-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
"Congo" was a pretty good tune......
Old 03-20-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoy some of the songs on Calling All Stations, esp. Calling All Stations and Congo. I've got a couple of boots from the European tour and I think Ray Wilson does a good job covering the Phil Collins and the Peter Gabriel material, some of which I've never heard. Selling England by the Pound is an awesome song.
Old 03-22-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Genesis??

Originally posted by Falc04
Any news on what they've been up to lately?

The last album (w/o Phil Collins) was total garbage....
I thought it was quite mediocre...a band in search of a direction, the music sterile and lacking in vitality
Old 03-23-04, 08:46 PM
Banned

The whole Calling all Stations thing was a fisasco, from the poor decsions by Hit and Run, to Atlantic, to Mike and Tony themselves. It's a long story, but the logistics of the tour to smaller venues in the states couldn't be done, and the whole thing was scraped. They did tour Europre.

I had 4th row tickets, and even now the pain and anger that I feel makes my head spin. They are my favorite band, from Trepass to CAS, I love it all.

As I said earlier, the amount of "hidden" recordings showing up are amazing. You have Dijon 78 that was just released, Zurich 77, and of course the recent South Hampton 77. There are even more in the pipeline.

Good news is that if the www.themusicalbox.net comes to your area, go see them. I've got tickets tomarrow for the Milwaukee "Selling England" tour. They are going to do the Lamb for the next 3 years or so. Genesis has seen them (less phil) and all members have said they are better than they were!

There is also a great trib band in Chicago called GRAND PARADE. Unfortantley, both of these groups do Gabriel material only, so if you're a full fan like me, you're left wanting.
Old 03-23-04, 08:47 PM
Banned

Oh, for those of you who like Calling all Stations. the good news is that they had about 8 B-sides with that recording session that are out of this world. Songs like BANJO MAN, RUN OUT OF TIME, ANYTHING NOW, some great great tunes.