Community
Search

Why do some transfers seem jittery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do some transfers seem jittery?

Hello all:

Can someone explain to me why some transfers just seem to jitter more than others? Some movies seem so steady and others the picture seems to jitter quite a bit. Is jitter generally a function of the media, the hardware or the display or could it be a combination of two or all three?

I though at first that it was my DVD player or my TV, but I believe that I have confirmed that it is the software by playing the suspect dvds in two other players(utilizing two other displays) including my PC DVD-ROM drive and seeing the same issue.

Thanks for any information.

John
Old 10-23-03, 08:43 PM

In case anyone cares, after reading up on this topic it appears judder is an artefact of the 3:2 pulldown conversion. It apparently exists to some degree on most dvds where film based media is being converted for viewing on TV.
Old 10-23-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will notice the jitteriness on the titles some times. That seems to be where it's the most obvious, especially white titles on a black background or the like. Don't recall noticing it during regular scenes.
Old 10-23-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also happens with PAL conversion to NTSC.
Old 10-24-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nohjy
In case anyone cares, after reading up on this topic it appears judder is an artefact of the 3:2 pulldown conversion. It apparently exists to some degree on most dvds where film based media is being converted for viewing on TV.
It can also happen on DVD players that don't handle DVDs that are flagged poorly. Some players handle bad flags better than others but some players keep switching from film to video to film and dropping frames causing the display to jitter or flash as the player tries to keep up. This is why people often times pay extra for the better players with the superiour deinterlacer built in.
Old 10-24-03, 10:13 AM

Anyone else notice this ? I seem to see it on alot of dvds, but to differing degrees.
Old 10-24-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Also, there are times when the film frames aren't lined up just right in the transfer-most noticeable on titles since those show the exact same thing in one place for a few seconds at a time.

Or, in other cases, the camera just isn't being held perfectly steady, and the picture shakes a little.
Old 10-24-03, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by BigDan
I will notice the jitteriness on the titles some times. That seems to be where it's the most obvious, especially white titles on a black background or the like. Don't recall noticing it during regular scenes.
I believe this can be down to the sprockets on the film print being worn so there is slight 'wobble' as the film goes through the projector - I'm guessing this is then captured when the film is telecine'd.
Old 01-18-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Digging up this dusty thread just to add that I've also noticed this on certain films and in my case its definitely something to do with the transfer of the films.

Just the other day I was watching Anchor Bay's SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA and many times throughout I noticed a subtle side to side shake of the image. I tried it on two different players and can repeat the same wobble in the exact same place. It's even noticeable when you move through the scene frame by frame. The transfer overall is far from pristine(jumps and scratches) so I wouldn't be surprised if like the previous post mentioned the sprockets were worn during the process of transferring to DVD.

Another film I noticed this wobble on is during the opening credits of BATMAN(1989)
Old 01-18-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i noticed this for the first time the other night while viewing "Case Of The Bloody Iris" from the Anchor Bay Giallo boxset. the black bars on the top and bottom where jittering nonstop.

it is also about 15 minutes shorter than the listed/printed running time.
Old 01-18-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too much coffee
Old 01-18-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by philo
Another film I noticed this wobble on is during the opening credits of BATMAN(1989)
I have noticed this before as well. But there's alot more problems on that DVD to talk about as well. I can't remember if the credits jumped liked that at the movie theater or not though.
Old 01-19-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched Creepshow tonight --- it definitely jittered.