Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Look for my stuff on eBay..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look for my stuff on eBay..

I've had enough.

First it was John Madden. He pissed me off to no end. His game with all his fancy Xs and Os and "learn how to read a D" and "learn what leg your RB needs to push off of" and "hey, I'm john madden BOOM!". I couldn't win worth **** in his game. I couldn't even beat an NFL Europe Team.

Then it was Panzer Dragoon Orta. Picked this game up from a friend for $15, who wanted to sell it since he beat it. First few levels, I breezed thru, after that, I got my ass royally handed to me. No matter how many times I tried to go thru the level, I couldn't win. I just suck.

Then it was F Zero GX. A game everyboyd said was too hard, impossible, etc. I decided I loved X and the original SNES game, so I picked it up. Breezed thru the first Grand Prix, and first chapter of Story Mode. Then proceeded to have my ass entirely handed to me.

Now it's Soul Calibur 2. Went thru Weapon Master mode once, and that's about all I can do. Can't unlock Assassin, ****, cant' even get past the 2nd person in his stage. Can't unlock Lizardman, because I cant' even beat the first ****ing stage in round 2.

Video gaming has passed me by. I'm debating on giving it up entirely. I'm apparently too old, or just too ****ing stupid to play games anymore.

Tis a shame really, as I've been playing since the Vectrex...
Old 09-03-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Two words. Action Replay.
Old 09-03-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Two words. Action Replay.
That's cheating.
Old 09-03-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe you just need different genres? Maybe pick up some adventure or puzzle games?
Old 09-03-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
That's enjoying your games, which you are not doing at the moment
Old 09-03-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
That's enjoying your games, which you are not doing at the moment
Maybe it is just me (but I doubt it), but cheating to get through games isn't fun or enjoying.
Old 09-03-03, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but cheating that will make playing fun once again. Giving up gaming is sad sad talk.
Old 09-03-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Hmmm...
Maybe you should try this instead.

Old 09-03-03, 06:11 PM
Banned

Re: Look for my stuff on eBay..

Originally posted by Thunderball
I've had enough.

First it was John Madden. He pissed me off to no end. His game with all his fancy Xs and Os and "learn how to read a D" and "learn what leg your RB needs to push off of" and "hey, I'm john madden BOOM!". I couldn't win worth **** in his game. I couldn't even beat an NFL Europe Team.

Then it was Panzer Dragoon Orta. Picked this game up from a friend for $15, who wanted to sell it since he beat it. First few levels, I breezed thru, after that, I got my ass royally handed to me. No matter how many times I tried to go thru the level, I couldn't win. I just suck.

Then it was F Zero GX. A game everyboyd said was too hard, impossible, etc. I decided I loved X and the original SNES game, so I picked it up. Breezed thru the first Grand Prix, and first chapter of Story Mode. Then proceeded to have my ass entirely handed to me.

Now it's Soul Calibur 2. Went thru Weapon Master mode once, and that's about all I can do. Can't unlock Assassin, ****, cant' even get past the 2nd person in his stage. Can't unlock Lizardman, because I cant' even beat the first ****ing stage in round 2.

Video gaming has passed me by. I'm debating on giving it up entirely. I'm apparently too old, or just too ****ing stupid to play games anymore.

Tis a shame really, as I've been playing since the Vectrex...
You know what your problem is?, its that you give up too fast and you let the game beat you. I suggest you keep those games since there brand new except Panzer Dragoon Orta and you havent given them a chance. Come up with new strategy's.
Old 09-03-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Look for my stuff on eBay..

Originally posted by KillaBeez
You know what your problem is?, its that you give up too fast and you let the game beat you. I suggest you keep those games since there brand new except Panzer Dragoon Orta and you havent given them a chance. Come up with new strategy's.
My problem is with a full time job, and other obligations, and just being blame short tempered, I dont' have time to learn how to "master" every game.
Old 09-03-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Patience Grasshopper.
Old 09-03-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old Toby. Finest weed in South Farthing.
Old 09-03-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Play the games on EASY setting (if available). There's no shame in it - especially if you're doing it in the privacy and comfort of your own home. I won't tell.

Also, some games are just tedious and require way too much of the player - I'm about 5 levels into Tony Hawk 4 right now, and I'm pretty close to just giving up. I mean, I just got asked to perform a 100,000 point combo(!!!) WTF?

Of course, I don't have an X-box, or a Vectrex so maybe I can't relate...

Old 09-03-03, 07:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cubanx
Patience Grasshopper.
I honestly think that this is the key. Quit getting so pissed off at the game, and recognize that you may need some time to do well. I'd rather have a game that I improved with over time, as opposed to a game that I could beat on the afternoon of buying it.
Old 09-03-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
I honestly think that this is the key. Quit getting so pissed off at the game, and recognize that you may need some time to do well. I'd rather have a game that I improved with over time, as opposed to a game that I could beat on the afternoon of buying it.
Id prefer a game where I didn't feel I lost via the computer cheating, but hey.
Old 09-03-03, 08:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not every game has "catch-up" or "cheat" AI.
Old 09-03-03, 08:07 PM

Points come easily in Tony Hawk games. All you have to do is find a half pipe and launch yourself up in the air for a trick. Then press R2 as you land for a revert and then tap up, down or down, up to do a manual until you get to the other side to launch youself up again for another trick. Just keep repeating till you get the 100,000 points. I had difficulty at first but it's very easy once you get the hang of it. Later levels will ask you to get 700,000+ points. Just remember the button presses for the special moves and you'll be set.

Last edited by NeonGlow; 09-03-03 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You have a couple of options. Either start playing multiplayer against similarly skilled people who like gaming but don't have a lot of time to play either or pick up different games that have difficulty settings that are manageable.

Honestly I am very much in the same boat, but I play games that I know I like the series (such as RE) and know about (yes usually on the easy settings). I read reviews fairly carefully to see if they discuss difficulty levels, and how hard the game is, etc. I stay away from extremely stealth oriented and sports games due to the usually high difficulty and I love gaming.

I don't do multiplayer online as I figure I'll get my a$$ handed to me, but do occassionally get together with friends and play some system linked Halo, etc. When we do that some of the guys will bring their teenage sons and they usually hand everyone's ass to them on a plate, but I consistently finish below them in frags, etc but above the other "Old Timers", so it is challenging and somewhat rewarding at the same time.

I would not give it up.
Old 09-03-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-03-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Look for my stuff on eBay..

Originally posted by Thunderball
Use Raphael, press forward, and whack the 'Vertical Attack' button repeatedly. Keep doing that, and you'll breeze through almost the entire Weapon Master mode, probably making it through half the battles without taking a single hit.

I'll resort to cheat codes in a case like Tony Hawk 4, where I'd pretty much played through as much as I was going to, and I'd use cheat codes just to add a little more replay value to it after it collected dust for a few months. I might also consider using them if I were renting a game and wanted to go ahead and beat it before returning it, though that's kind of a hypothetical since I don't rent. It wouldn't be my standard way of playing a game, though. Yikes.
Old 09-03-03, 09:06 PM

Maybe you should stop playing so many games at once, and just play one until you beat it. Sounds like you have your attention divided on one too many games to really get a good handle on em.
Old 09-03-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's gonna be ok Thunderball. Just pack everything into a sturdy box and send it to me.
Old 09-03-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NeonGlow
Points come easily in Tony Hawk games. All you have to do is find a half pipe and launch yourself up in the air for a trick. Then press R2 as you land for a revert and then tap up, down or down, up to do a manual until you get to the other side to launch youself up again for another trick. Just keep repeating till you get the 100,000 points. I had difficulty at first but it's very easy once you get the hang of it. Later levels will ask you to get 700,000+ points. Just remember the button presses for the special moves and you'll be set.
Thanks NeonGlow!

I think it was expecting me to know what "revert as you hit the vert" meant or something...and I've been putting off learning how to "manual" and "revert" because they're so difficult.

What was I supposed to do? Read the instructions?!!?
Old 09-03-03, 09:33 PM

Give SSX Tricky a shot before you quit. You can find it extremely cheap and it is extremely easy to just pick up and play. Sure, you probably wont win the first couple of races, but its not like car racers, where you have to practically learn how to drive a real car.

I think you might have to start off with easier games, because some of those games you are trying are fairly complex, especially Madden.

You want a football game? Give NFL Blitz a shot, I think I recommended that to you in your other post.

Want a shooter? Pick up Serious Sam

A racer? Try SSX like mentioned above, racing is racing, wether you do it on a snowboard or a Honda.

And for a fighter, the good ole Capcom games are great to and easier to pick up. Capcom vs SNK2 or Marvel VS Capcom 2.
Old 09-03-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I own a Vectrex. Its a solid system.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.