Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Misfits Box Set?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Misfits Box Set?

I have never replaced my stolen Misfits CDs (I know, how pathetic) I was thinking of getting the box set as it is remastered. I have also seen that the so-called remastered is not that great. What do you guys think of the quality of the box set? Or would I be better off just buying the stuff seperately (the wallet could handle 6 hits at $10 better than one @ $60 right now) I know they reissued one cd with newly discovered material on it.
Old 08-06-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the box set. Since all my Misfits stuff was either records or cassettes, it was great to have it on cd. And the coffin is cool as hell. Has started some great conversations since just about everyone who checks out my cd's asks about "what's in the coffin?". I haven't looked at what's available on cd now, so I don't know if everything that's in the box set is available seperately.

I actually had put off on the buying the box set when it first came out cause I pretty much already had everything and money was an issue with me also at that time. If you've waited this long to replace them and you really would prefer the box set, I'd just save up till you get the cash.
Old 08-06-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
The coffin box is kind of cool, and the CDs sound good.

My only gripe was that all of the albums were condensed onto four CDs -- all of the tracks are there, but you get about two full albums to one CD. And then these four CDs are then in two double-CD jewel cases -- the kind with the swinging insert that's the same size as a regualr jewel case -- with generic covert art on both: The Misfits skull.

I would've rather they have somehow incorporated the original cover-art into it somehow.

Otherwise, it's a reasonalby complete set, but does not include "Walk Among Us," as that was put out on a different record label and likely couldn't be negotiated.
Old 08-06-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your CDs came in two double-CD cases? Mine are in four separate black slimline cases with the track listing on the front in silver. Actually, Static Age came in a case where you slide the back cover off to get to the CD and insert. But I've really messed up the cases in the whole time I've had 'em. The CDs still play though
Old 08-06-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally posted by planetaire
Your CDs came in two double-CD cases? Mine are in four separate black slimline cases with the track listing on the front in silver. Actually, Static Age came in a case where you slide the back cover off to get to the CD and insert. But I've really messed up the cases in the whole time I've had 'em. The CDs still play though
My CDs came in the four separate cases you describe too. Maybe there was a reissue with changed cases? 2 of my cases got messed up too.

Anyway, the only previous Misfits CD I had owned was the first compilation (the very first Misfits CD), the rest I had on vinyl. So, I can't really say if there was a difference in sound with the "remastering". But less face it, these tracks are never going to sound pristine (nor should they. )
Old 08-06-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Mine are in two double cases.

I bought mine around 1999 or early 2000, so it might be a case of different editions.
Old 08-06-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine in 1997 and it was the four slimlines...

AND I LOVE THE SET! LOVE IT!
Old 08-07-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly recommend the box set. I bought it the week it came out and mine has the four slimlines as well.

I took it to a signing Glen Danzig was doing at a comic book store around the time DanzigIV came out and he said. "I'm not signing that, I didn't make any money off that, that's Bull@#$% "!!!! I just shook my head and walked away. What a wash-up.
Old 08-07-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by woofman
I took it to a signing Glen Danzig was doing at a comic book store around the time DanzigIV came out and he said. "I'm not signing that, I didn't make any money off that, that's Bull@#$% "!!!! I just shook my head and walked away. What a wash-up.
I thought he retained the rights to the Misfits, or at least the material and likenesses he produced.
Old 08-07-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, wouldn't he at least get songwriting royalties from sales of the set?
Old 08-07-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I guess someone should have worked out a better licencing deal for himself. I don't know about the Misfits name, but Danzig should have had all the publishing rights (considering he wrote all the songs himself) and wasn't Plan 9 his label? (at least partially). I can't see how he didn't make anything off it. It wasn't a cheap set to buy, I bought it the week it came out and I'm sure most Misfits fans snapped it up.
Old 08-07-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, he's as bad as Jello Biafra, man.