Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Gahan threatens to quit Depeche Mode :(

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-12-03, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO DAVE NOOOO!!!! Paper Monsters SUCKS!!!!

Dave says I'm outta here if I don't get more creative input
Old 06-13-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Paper Monsters is really good actually...
Old 06-13-03, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When's Dave gonna realize he's nothing more than a voice?
Old 06-13-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm amazed they are even still together.
Old 06-13-03, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I'm amazed they are even still together.
Me too. I love DM, but 'Exciter' wasn't very...erm...exciting. Sorry.
Old 06-13-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason, I thought that they had already broken up. Oh well. If they're gonna make another album like Exciter, I'm all for it.
Old 06-13-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depeche Mode has been downhill since Violator. Songs of Faith and Devotion was just ok, and Ultra and Exciter just sucked.

DM was a great band. I remain unconvinced they can return to that.
Old 06-13-03, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by einTier
Depeche Mode has been downhill since Violator. Songs of Faith and Devotion was just ok, and Ultra and Exciter just sucked.

I personally loved Ultra.
Old 06-13-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? I thought Ultra had one good song -- It's No Good. Which pretty much summed up the album for me.

Seriously, saying it sucked might be a bit harsh, but do you honestly think it's better than Faith and Devotion or Violator?
Old 06-13-03, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Really? I thought Ultra had one good song -- It's No Good. Which pretty much summed up the album for me.

Seriously, saying it sucked might be a bit harsh, but do you honestly think it's better than Faith and Devotion or Violator?
To me yes, to most probably not. It just brings me back to a very happy time in my life. Love Thieves is probably my favorite DM song of all time. I just love the entire cd.
Old 06-13-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 252 Posts

Yes I agree. After Violator, the amount of songs I've liked per album has decreased with each release.
Old 06-13-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Ultra, but I wasn't too keen on Exciter.
Old 06-13-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually love Ultra. I like it as much as Music For The Masses. That's # 2 on my list with Ultra and/or Black Celebration being #1.

Exciter was really boring, with too many songs with the word "love" in the title.

Can those of you who dislike Ultra please explain why? I'm really interested, for I've liked it since day one.
Old 06-13-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just made out with Ultra playing in the background. It never sounded so good.
Old 06-13-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hahaha
Old 06-14-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hollowgen, give me a day or two to listen to it again. I haven't listened to it in over a year, so I can't remember my specific reasons for disliking it.
Old 06-15-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Depeche Mode broke up, I wouldn't really care and I'm a huge fan of them. They ain't what they used to be and their songs have been hit or miss since VIOLATOR. Oddly enough that's when Alan Wilder left too. Hmmm...............
Old 06-15-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, but without dave, they'll definitely lose a huge chunk of their appeal. i don't think they could function as DM anymore.
Old 06-16-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Dave has been making a lot of really nasty comments about Martin Gore and Depeche Mode in just about every interview he's done lately promoting "Paper Monsters". Which I think is a TERRIBLE album. And it's causing quite a stir amongst the hard core DM fans (just check out any given DM newsgroup or website, even Dave's). There's a small (and growing) Dave Gahan backlash going on at the moment. It didn't help that he is charging $40.00 plus to see him live. But the fans don't like what he's saying one bit. I like Mr. Gahan, or lets say I did before I read all of these interviews. Regardless of how I feel about that, I still think he has one of the best voices in music. But he is no songwriter. Which is the main problem with "Paper Monsters". The lyrics stink. I don't know why he thinks all of a sudden he should share songwriting duties with Martin Gore. It just amazes me how big one's ego can get in the music industry. Hopefully, Dave will read the fan reaction. Also, "Paper Monsters" TANKED in it's first week (in the U.S.). Debuted around #127 selling only 8000 copies. And you know that will continue to drop unless radio starts playing the single. Which is probably unlikely. So Dave, if you're listening, don't quit your day job. And stop biting the hand that feeds you.

Re: DM releases. I loved "Ultra". I thought it was a stellar comeback album for them. "Exciter" was good, not great. I think that album failed because of it's production value. Still there are a handful of songs on there that are really good. I know this will never happen, but I would love to see everyone clear the air and have Alan Wilder return. I think that's what everyone needs.
Old 06-16-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
I saw Martin last month here in L.A. and he was great, I wouldn't miss Dave at all. But I do have tickets to Dave Gahan at the Joint in Las Vegas in Aug, but I don't think it will be nearly as good. (Based on the early setlists/reviews)
Old 06-16-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meant to include this in my last post. A friend of mine caught Dave's set from some festival in Europe and said it was unbelievably bad. Dave is also bragging that his new band is the best. And that the DM songs he's doing on this tour are played the way they should have been all along. Whatever.
Old 06-16-03, 02:42 PM

Well, I loved Violator, but I felt they really peaked with SoF&D. I thought it was a true masterwork, like everything was building and building up until that record. However, I did also enjoy Ultra a great deal, although less than previous records. In fact, Exciter is the first DM record to leave me cold, well, ever.
Old 06-16-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by darqleo
If Depeche Mode broke up, I wouldn't really care and I'm a huge fan of them. They ain't what they used to be and their songs have been hit or miss since VIOLATOR. Oddly enough that's when Alan Wilder left too. Hmmm...............
Absolutely. Alan Wilder is the well-kept secret behind DM's sound. Check out his work as Recoil since leaving DM...just amazing music (and some of the best music to "get busy" to ).
Old 06-16-03, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Daytripper
Dave has been making a lot of really nasty comments about Martin Gore and Depeche Mode in just about every interview he's done lately promoting "Paper Monsters". Which I think is a TERRIBLE album. And it's causing quite a stir amongst the hard core DM fans (just check out any given DM newsgroup or website, even Dave's). There's a small (and growing) Dave Gahan backlash going on at the moment. It didn't help that he is charging $40.00 plus to see him live. But the fans don't like what he's saying one bit. I like Mr. Gahan, or lets say I did before I read all of these interviews. Regardless of how I feel about that, I still think he has one of the best voices in music. But he is no songwriter. Which is the main problem with "Paper Monsters". The lyrics stink. I don't know why he thinks all of a sudden he should share songwriting duties with Martin Gore. It just amazes me how big one's ego can get in the music industry. Hopefully, Dave will read the fan reaction. Also, "Paper Monsters" TANKED in it's first week (in the U.S.). Debuted around #127 selling only 8000 copies. And you know that will continue to drop unless radio starts playing the single. Which is probably unlikely. So Dave, if you're listening, don't quit your day job. And stop biting the hand that feeds you.

Re: DM releases. I loved "Ultra". I thought it was a stellar comeback album for them. "Exciter" was good, not great. I think that album failed because of it's production value. Still there are a handful of songs on there that are really good. I know this will never happen, but I would love to see everyone clear the air and have Alan Wilder return. I think that's what everyone needs.
WOOOAAAHHHHH!!!!! are you serious!! Where are you reading this stuff from? I visit the forum over at Depechemode.com and I haven't heard anyone talk about this "backlash" or the "Tanking" of the album...8000 FRIGGIN copies?????? That's beyond atrocious! LINK????
Old 06-16-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a lot of anti Dave talk on several of the DM sites. Including, www.depechemode.com (in the chatroom), alt.music.depechemode, alt.fan.depechemode, www.depeche-mode.com. To name a few. The link on how many copies it sold, was on RollingStone.com last Wednesday or Thursday I believe. The album also debuted at like no. #37 in London. Also very low. But no where near as low as the U.S.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.