Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question about The Dead Zone (USA Network) DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about The Dead Zone (USA Network) DVDs

Hey All,

I have a quick question I've had a hard time finding an answer to. Regarding The Dead Zone TV series on USA, I know that Season-1 of the series has recently been released as a DVD set. However, there is also another DVD that I hear is the first two episodes edited together into a movie. So my questions are...

1) If I buy Season-1, would I need to purchase the movie also? Or is the entirety of the movie disc included in the Season-1 set?

2) Apprently, if you purchase Season-1, it includes a mail-order form to receive a copy of the "un-aired" pilot episode on DVD. What exactly is this? Is the first episode in Season-1 not the pilot? Is the movie not the pilot?

Thanks in advance for any input.
obispo21
Old 07-29-03, 09:09 AM
Banned

The 2-part pilot episode that first came out has a cast commentary with Anthony Michael Hall and others (plus some other extras) while the Season One set has a production commentary throughout. Otherwise the content of the two episodes are exactly the same.

The unaired pilot is apparantly a different version of what ended up as the first two shows that has some different cast members.
Old 07-29-03, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info cracksky

That answers all of my questions. Guess I'll just pickup the Season-1 set for now, and maybe get the movie version if I can find if for real cheap.

obispo21
Old 08-25-03, 08:27 AM

So the free disc you can send away for is NOT the same as the single disc with the same cover as the box set? Am I reading that correctly?

So is this what I'm going to get if I send away for the free disc or not? I already have this single disc, so if that's not the freebie, I better get the free DVD card back from my friend! I gave it to him because we both thought I already had the same disc as the one that you can send away for.
Old 08-25-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Better yet - any idea on when Season 2 is due?
Old 08-27-03, 12:42 AM

Um Season 2 just ended didn't won't be for awhile I expect
Old 08-27-03, 05:53 AM

So are the free disc you can send away for and the single disc you can buy the same or not?
Old 08-27-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty sure it's NOT the same. I don't have the free one yet so I can' t say 100% for sure, but come on... I mean it does say unaired pilot, which the above version really could only be considered if you think that the fact that the two episodes spliced together in movie format make it so. I have the one you referenced above, the box set and will soon have the unaired and only then would I be able to tell you for sure, though.

edited for spelling

Last edited by ScottyWH; 08-27-03 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 09:23 AM

Cool. Thanks. As I said though, I gave the mail-in card away to my friend because we both just assumed I already had the freebie. I don't have it to look at to see that it said unaired pilot. I guess I didn't notice that before I gave it to him. Anyway, he's gonna give it back to me now so I can send it in.

Why didn't they just include this disc in the set anyway?
Old 08-27-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Marketing gimmick to get a few extra bucks out of people, I guess.
Old 08-27-03, 09:35 AM

That's what I kinda figured. Especially if everyone got the thing for the mispriced $25...
Old 08-27-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just under $21 here (shipped)
Old 08-27-03, 09:45 AM

Oh really? Even better. My friend ordered it online for me. He said it was $25, but hmmm...
Old 08-27-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't have to pay shipping (though most of the people who got in on the deal did there were a few of us who got extra lucky) so it probably did cost him $25.
Old 11-16-04, 10:29 AM

Resurecting old threads that I posted in... anyway, if anyone still cares, the bonus disc that you could send away for is the unaired pilot. It's basically the same as the first two episodes but with some different cast members. The commentary is different than from anything else. The single disc version I pictured above is almost exactly the same as disc 1 (not disc 0) from the box set. The commentaries are exactly the same. The single disc only has the first two episodes edited together as one (no closing credits or opening titles between them) and no third episode. Some of the bonus features are different.