Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any early reviews of "Peacemakers"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Any early reviews of "Peacemakers"?

Subject pretty much says it all. Any early buzz, reviews, etc.. about USA's "Peacemakers" set to debut on Wednesday?
Old 07-28-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
''Peacemakers'' isn't your father's ''CSI'' -- it's your great-great-GRANDfather's ''CSI''! It stars Tom Berenger (''Platoon'') as a 19th-century lawman and Peter O'Meara (''Band of Brothers'') as Larimer Finch, a member of the fabled Pinkerton Detective Agency and olden-day Gil Grissom who's an expert in such ''high-tech'' techniques as handwriting analysis and fingerprint lifting. Together they solve murders in the Western town of Silver City, Colo. -- like the mysterious stabbing of a wealthy white landowner who secretly impregnated a Chinese woman. ''It's certainly before DNA,'' says Berenger (pictured), who insists there was plenty of ''CSI''-like gadgetry in the late 1880s, when the dramedy takes place. ''Pinkerton himself was the first guy to come up with mug shots. And that was the beginning of telephones.'' Sounds like edge-of-your-seat stuff. What else can the viewer look forward to? ''The show can get pretty dark, so I'm hoping to keep comedy in there,'' Berenger says. ''I think it would be humorous to have a septic guy who empties latrines. I found out that septic trucks existed in the 1850s. Somebody had to take care of them.''
Link

I can't remember the grade it gave from the article. I can't find it online.
Old 07-29-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually don't like westerns but this looks interesting, already got my Tivo set
Old 07-29-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
I can't remember the grade it gave from the article. I can't find it online.
Got it: B-
Old 07-31-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone watch this tonight, I haven't got a chance to yet but it's Tivo'd. Probably won't get to it till this weekend but curious what people thought.
Old 07-31-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I would like to comment on it for ya, but a thunderstorm in my area knocked out the reception.

The TiVo will just have to catch it when it's repeated in a day or two.
Old 07-31-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by WhattheFFF
I usually don't like westerns but this looks interesting, already got my Tivo set

Neither do I. I have it recorded on my Replay but have yet to watch it.
Old 07-31-03, 08:30 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

I didn't think I'd like it when I heard about it, butI thought it was pretty entertaining. I would think it would do well if people don't take it too seriously. Unfortunately, one of the ads I saw said it was "CSI" for the old west, which would be hard to live up to (at least based on the first show).
Old 08-01-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it certainly did well in the ratings

USA has gone three-for-three in the original series department as the premiere of "Peacemakers" Wednesday night was the second most-watched bow in basic cable history.
5.2 million total viewers watched the 90-minute opener of the Tom Berenger-led drama, second only to fellow USA series "The Dead Zone" as the biggest opening for a basic cable series (6.4 million on 6/16/02). "Peacemakers" also finished third among all broadcast and cable networks in the 10:00/9:00c hour, beating ABC's "The Family." Overall the premiere managed a 4.0 household rating, not to mention was up 135% in households and 110% in adults 25-54 over the network's recent time-period average.

USA now owns three of the top five debuts in basic cable history. In addition to "The Dead Zone" and "Peacemakers," the network's "Monk" scored 4.76 million viewers for its two-hour bow (7/12/02). The other two top spots belong to FX for "Nip/Tuck" (3.7 million on 7/22/03) and "The Shield" (4.8 million on 3/12/02).
Link
Old 08-01-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3 for 4? What was the show that missed?

I thought the show was pretty good. It wouldn't be anything other than an ordinary detective show but the western gimmick will set it apart. I will defiently watch at least the next couple episodes.
Old 08-01-03, 02:12 PM
razorbackfan

I liked it. Turn of the Century U.S. Marshal in the Colorado Territory solving crimes using new fangled stuff like fingerprints and ballistics. I hope westerns make a comeback. I'm tired of all the stupid sitcoms.